Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Disappearances Wilderness Areas Saskatchewan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Very interesting.  I've always been intrigued by these kinds of searches - for people as well as things like the Lost Dutchman Mine.  There's just something very appealing about looking for things that have been lost.

If you haven't seen it, I'd suggest trying to find a Discovery or History Channel show called something like Alaska's Bermuda Triangle.  It details some of the high profile disappearances that have taken place in a certain area of Alaska over the decades.  The most famous of which is a 1972 disappearance of plane carrying two US Congressmen.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    Detective1987

Detective1987

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

If any of you out there have watched the David Paulides interview on Coast to Coast AM and have any experience with search and rescue dogs, maybe you can give me some insight into why during a number of these missing person cases that Paulides looked at, the search and rescue dogs acted in an unusual manner.  Here is a link to the interview for those of you that have not seen it.  

#18    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,653 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I would think that police and RCMP records would be helpful for you as well. By the way, what are you investigating? Yeah, disappearances, but for what purpose?

My suggestion, as well, QuiteContray.

I love mysteries and all of his stories (or most) of missing people are very very startling, and of course that is all wrapped up by the bigger mystery,
why do some specific areas get far many more abductions than most?

They don't have it at my library - not sure I want to dole out the big bucks for it.

There are no such things as Lenticular clouds, only UFO's in disguise

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#19    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,275 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostDetective1987, on 30 March 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

If any of you out there have watched the David Paulides interview on Coast to Coast AM and have any experience with search and rescue dogs, maybe you can give me some insight into why during a number of these missing person cases that Paulides looked at, the search and rescue dogs acted in an unusual manner.  
A dog's nose not only dominates her face, but her brain, as well. In fact, a dog relies on her sense of smell to interpret her world, in much the same way as people depend on their sight. Although this contrasting world view may be hard to imagine, know that your dog interprets as much information as you do. However, she does much of this by smelling an object or animal, not by staring at it.  Link

Posted Image

#20    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm no expert on tracking with dogs, although I have seen some dogs drop a scent for whatever reason I don't know. Mind you these were hunting dogs on the trail of a bear that was hanging around a school playground. I was helping Wildlife Resource Officer find it and dart it for relocation. The bear hadn't done anything except be seen while school was in session and the local officials decided to have the bear relocated. Anyway, I popped over one morning and they put the dog on the trail, we followed the dog for a good couple miles, then all of a sudden the dog just lost the trail. The handler moved him around in a series of larger and larger circles but the dog never reacted to it. So several of us sort of fanned out to see what we could find and as luck would have it one of the guys came across some tracks, brought the dog back over and he simply refused. Personally, I think the dog was just tired and didn't want to go after the bear, but who knows. The dog refused to give us a reason. He just sniffed and peed.

The next weekend they got the bear by waiting for it to show back up at the school grounds.

#21    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

I love mysteries and all of his stories (or most) of missing people are very very startling, and of course that is all wrapped up by the bigger mystery,
why do some specific areas get far many more abductions than most?

That's an age old question. More traffic, weather, terrain, age of the people missing, predators in the area are all factors to be considered. It's been sort of a casual observation of mine that the less risky the area the less likely people are to prepare themselves properly. Next thing they know, they in trouble and have nothing to help them get out of it. It's sort of like hurting your back, you almost never get hurt lifting something heavy because you automatically realize it's heavy and get yourself in the right position. Where as with something light you just don't take it seriously, next thing you know.......OUCH! You just hurt yourself lifting some little nothing and getting picked at by your co-workers.

"You got lost, where? Are you kidding me?" How many times have I heard that one?

#22    Detective1987

Detective1987

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Sorry I have not posted on my own topic in awhile.  Just an update on my Investigation which regrettably has been going at a snails pace as a result of getting busier at work and so not being able to devote the time I would like to this investigation.  It is still ongoing however and I have decided that the best way to start this is to start with Missing 411 as a way to bring better focus to this investigation.  I by no means believe that there are people following or keeping tabs on this obscure post on a large forum, but for those who are interested, I felt I should say that the work into this is continuing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users