Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Scientists have linked the underground injection of oil-drilling wastewater to a magnitude-5.7 earthquake in 2011 that struck the US state of Oklahoma.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21952428

Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake

http://geology.gsapu...logy;G34045.1v1

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,939 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Really doesn't surprise me.  I hope they stay away from the New Madrid fault line.  Don't need a repeat of what happened in 1811 and 1812.

#3    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

I've heard they suspect the same thing happened in Arkansas not to long ago. Now they are going to start the fracking in California in a place with multiple known faults.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,849 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostHilander, on 27 March 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Really doesn't surprise me.  I hope they stay away from the New Madrid fault line.  Don't need a repeat of what happened in 1811 and 1812.

Seen this?....
http://newmadrideart...id-fault-blows/

*eerie music*

Edited by Eldorado, 28 March 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#5    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,922 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postevancj, on 28 March 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

I've heard they suspect the same thing happened in Arkansas not to long ago. Now they are going to start the fracking in California in a place with multiple known faults.
Just to set the record straight:  the 5.6 earthquake in Oklahoma was caused by injection of salt water, not by fracking.

There's a simple little trick for oil companies to use to avoid this:  if you inject something into a well and you get small earth tremors, STOP INJECTING.  Don't use that well for injecting!  There are wells that have been used for decades without a problem, use one of them.  Or test out a new one, but don't use wells that are known to produce tremors.

I live close enough that I felt the 5.6 tremor.  Cracked the plaster in my house and rattled a bulletin board off the wall in my office.  Fortunately, I was far enough away that nothing worse happened.  I suspect the lawyers are looking at that report right now.  There could be some lawsuits over this.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#6    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Good article.

I think Mother Jones covered this finding in their last snail mail issue.

We are foolish to continue fracking.  I wonder if the damage already done can ever be undone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users