Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The book 'Missing 411-by David Paulides'

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    jjblondee

jjblondee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• I'm 39, blonde, honest, a lil' goofy, but always real!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

The book called 'Missing 411 - by David Paulides' is of interest to me. I would like to read it and compare what facts he has put in it, BUT all the online bookstores either do not carry it, sold out, or such as Amazon online want a whopping price of $236.00 or more upto $715.00! Is this true? He wants this much? I have never heard of book being that terribly outrageously expensiveT in the interest of cryptids. Not even were my college text books that spendy and I was in nursing. Does anyone have more information on this book? Thank you, jj

♀jjblondee

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,483 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

*snip*

Took me 2mins to find it on eBay for £27

Edited by Eldorado, 28 March 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#3    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hello! He sells them on this site for 25. There are 3 in the  series.

http://www.nabigfoot...h.com/home.html

check menu: bigfoot store

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 11,313 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

I detect the terrible stench of webspam ....

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.

Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC

~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#5    Barnabas C 605

Barnabas C 605

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

i have to say after listening to him twice on C2C, the stories he tells of all of these people that range into the hundreds and thousands that go missing with no explanation is frighting. The part about the government agency's who you would think would want to help him in his research are stonewalling him and makeing it hard as **** to get any information on the topic. The more he went into it the more creepy it got. I definitely want to read his books. I think this topic of where these people go, who's taking them, and why the feds and other agency's don't want to release information to this man is very interesting. Basically the things and facts he presented on coast to coast am could start going into all different area's especially when it comes to conspiracy theory's.

#6    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

crap i just referenced this book on another related thread. anything that vanishes and disappears is music to my ears. ive yet to read it but definitely will.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

#7    The Exorcist

The Exorcist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

I am also greatly interested in strange vanishings. I first learnt about the book Missing 411 from this forum, and this weekend got a chance to listen to the Coast to Coast AM interview with David Paulides on YouTube. I'll try and buy the book soon.

I must say, I am really intrigued by the premise of this book. What I really like is that all the cases in the book are supposedly real, genuine cases. The people really did go missing (some were later found). I suppose one could verify most of the missing cases through a Google search. Therefore all the cases provide a genuine mystery.

What I didn't like was the David Paulides wrote two books on Big Foot before writing this book. Indeed, as many have mentioned, Big Foot seems to be presented as a potential reason these people go missing. I think this is just ridiculous. Big Foot, a creature never proven to even exist, cannot possible be thought of as an explanation. To his credit, Paulides never proposes an expalantion for the missing people - he just gives the incredible circumstances of the case. This is what really attracts me to this book - it is a collection of genuine cases with no explanation - and nothing anyone says can in any way dimish this.

One of the cases mentioned on the C2C AM show is that of Joe Wood Jr., a guy who was hiking up a mountain in 1999, and seemingly disappeared right under the eyes of the people he was climbing with. His body was never found. I searched the case on Google and found some more info, such as: http://www.alternet....ned_to_joe_wood - this is a story from 2000. This is just one of the really interesting cases documented in this book.

I also researched a little on Paulides, who was once a police officer. Apparently, he doesn't have a clean record: http://bigfooteviden...diot-david.html - he was involved in some authograph-related crime. No biggie though - I don't think it makes any difference to the facts of the book.

Again, the only thing that irks me is the association of this book with Big Foot. These are genuine and very unusual missing persons cases, and they shouldn't be explained using some cryptid of which no real definitive proof has ever surfaced regarding its existence. Why the hell would Big Foot kidnap little kids who can't speak yet, only to return them some time later, as happened in some of the cases in the book?

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

#8    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned on this thread yet or if it fits with the criteria outlined in the book but the Dyatlov Pass Incident is certainly mysterious. There are a few web pages dedicated to the mystery of of nine ski hikers who were found dead on a camping trip that has yet to be explained.

http://en.wikipedia....v_Pass_incident

The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, its ALL on purpose Stephen King, The Stand

#9    Labobio

Labobio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

I was once working on a policemans house..and we got talking about UFOs etc and he said to me that there are so many cases of people just disappearing that its scary..He even said when they investigate it there is no proof of murder etc..they are regular people that just vanish

#10    KALASH69

KALASH69

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• Practice what you preach.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm in the process of reading Missing 411 Eastern, as mentioned, the fact the David Paulides was initially a Bigfoot researcher put me off a little, but none of that is reflected in the books (so far) which is great. All of the stories are genuinely mysterious, and he leaves you to make your own conclusions as to what has happened to all of these people.

The circumstances surrounding all of the disappearances is spooky to say the least, even if these aren't related to anything otherwordly.

If you can, grab a copy and read it. I'm going to finish mine this weekend up in the mountains, out in the forest to really get the full effect.

Edited by KALASH69, 13 August 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#11    2-B

2-B

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've listened twice to each of the 4-hour Paulides interviews with George Knapp (an award-winning investigative journalist). I'm a true crime buff with a long-standing interest in missing persons' cases, so Paulides work in these cases fascinates me.

I like the way he and his research team have carefully eliminated any cases that might have another explanation, such as an attack by a wild animal or a death by drowning. They've definitely pared the cases down to those that make no immediate logical sense, such as 2-year-olds being found barefoot 12 miles from and several mountain ridges away from where they disappeared or a 15-year-old in plain view of about 8 people simply vanishing.

I'll concede a FEW cases have details that could make the reader/listener think Bigfoot, especially given DP's prior research. I'm thinking for instance of the handful of cases where children recovered live reported cuddling with a bear, wolf, or big dog who fed them and eventually let them go.

But Paulides maintains his objectivity and allows the reader/listener to speculate about these cases. They aren't all easily answered by Bigfoot, serial killer, giant bird, UFO, random criminal, mountain lion, or any other explanation I can see right now.

And where are the boots????

"I'm team whatever freaking happened."

~Michaela on ABC's fabulous "How To Get Away With Murder"

#12    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,994 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Prices on Amazon for just about anything tend to fluctuate. There was a book I wanted to get for a friend for his birthday and when I first looked it up on Amazon, it was over $200. This was at the beginning of the summer. By the time his birthday rolled around (beginning of this month) and I needed to buy it, I found a copy on Amazon for $30.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#13    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

Anyone finished a copy of this to give a full review?

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#14    Rinna

Rinna

An eye for liner

• 1,770 posts

• "All of the hardest, coldest people you'll ever meet were once as soft as water. And that's the tragedy of living."

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

I own one of the books and I have listened to all his interviews. I remember in one case, I think it was Dennis Martin. That people witnessed some sort of man carrying what looked like a child on its back in the woods. Paulides talks about how in that case he was told by a park worker that there are people who move into national parks to live off the grid and they are not always mentally stable. The parks deny this, because they don't want to be held liable for what may happen because of these people. They also don't want to be responsible for getting rid of them.

“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.” -Charles Bukowski

#15    2-B

2-B

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

For anyone interested: Paulides will be a guest on Coast again, Tomorrow, Monday 3/10/14. This time hosted by Noory rather than Knapp, so I'm not expecting much. Your mileage may vary.

"I'm team whatever freaking happened."

~Michaela on ABC's fabulous "How To Get Away With Murder"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users