Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Geology and Wagner

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 14 April 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

The starting point of plate tectonics was noticing how well Africa, Europe and America fitted into a super continent. There is no other explanation than continental drift which adequately explains this observation, coupled to deep sea rift spreading it makes for a very compelling argument.

There are to many examples where rock strata is not chronological, and magma uplift and subduction offers an explanation to why, for the opening observation to be taken seriously as even a critique of geology.

Br Cornelius

Nonsense!  Bunkum!  Humbug!  And ignorance to boot!  And on top of all that, my beef in the OP was the basic premise upon which geology is based a la Hutton, though if things had gone differently, if Germany had been in the ascendant rather than britain at the time, I might have been saying "a la Werner" who had a different theory from Hutton.  Then again, if France had been in the ascendant..........Buffon?  Cuvier?  Who knows?

#17    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 13 April 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

The difference between a working hypothesis and a wild screwball idea is that you can test the hypothesis.  How can your idea be tested?
Doug

You insist on being a scientist.  I insist on not being a scientist.  For further elucidation, see my 2 new posts: Science: the fatal flaws and Towards a better world.

#18    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostSetton, on 13 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Uhuh... Read it...

I take it you weren't a science teacher then?

You obviously have missed the threads where I was challenged concerning the extent of my life experience where I revealed that I had been a professional scientist (physicist).

#19    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 7,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 18 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

You insist on being a scientist.  I insist on not being a scientist.
I guess we're stuck with that, then.  I'll do my thing, you do yours.

For further elucidation, see my 2 new posts: Science: the fatal flaws and Towards a better world.
Is one of them about the world in a nut's shell?  Interesting choice for a title.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#20    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 18 April 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Nonsense!  Bunkum!  Humbug!  And ignorance to boot!  And on top of all that, my beef in the OP was the basic premise upon which geology is based a la Hutton, though if things had gone differently, if Germany had been in the ascendant rather than britain at the time, I might have been saying "a la Werner" who had a different theory from Hutton.  Then again, if France had been in the ascendant..........Buffon?  Cuvier?  Who knows?
You may say so, but I am just reporting the almost universally accepted interpretation of the Geological data. Since then continental drift has been empirically verified by measurement of Atlantic and Pacific spreading at the continental junctions. Plate tectonics explains every geological process which has been measured.

If you choose to ignore it then don't be surprised when people disagree with you.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#21    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 18 April 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

You obviously have missed the threads where I was challenged concerning the extent of my life experience where I revealed that I had been a professional scientist (physicist).

So you claim. Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe you. No self respecting scientist would think the following an appropriate approach to debate:

View Postpantodragon, on 18 April 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Nonsense!  Bunkum!  Humbug!  And ignorance to boot!

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#22    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostSetton, on 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

So you claim. Sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe you. No self respecting scientist would think the following an appropriate approach to debate:

Have I not yet made myself clear: I am not a scientist.  I do not pretend to be a scientists.  I express so little admiration for science I am surprised you could think I would want to be one.

I WAS a scientist.  There is life beyond science, and a better one to boot!  Or it would be more correct to say, there was life BEFORE science.

Edited by pantodragon, 20 April 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#23    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 April 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

You may say so, but I am just reporting the almost universally accepted interpretation of the Geological data.

"IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."  (Jane Austen)

Personally, I have never found that universal acknowledgement makes a lie true.

#24    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,791 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 20 April 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

"IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."  (Jane Austen)

Personally, I have never found that universal acknowledgement makes a lie true.
God complex since I doubt your a genius :whistle:

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#25    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

God complex since I doubt your a genius :whistle:

Br Cornelius

Doubt away, but keep your eyes on the heavens: that bolt of lightning's on the way!

#26    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 20 April 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Have I not yet made myself clear: I am not a scientist.  I do not pretend to be a scientists.  I express so little admiration for science I am surprised you could think I would want to be one.

I WAS a scientist.  There is life beyond science, and a better one to boot!  Or it would be more correct to say, there was life BEFORE science.

Right...

I imagine a world where you make up everything in it would be rather nice.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#27    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostSetton, on 20 April 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Right...

I imagine a world where you make up everything in it would be rather nice.

You are so right!  It wouldn't actually take a god.........even an idiot could improve upon the state of this world.

#28    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 22 April 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

You are so right!  It wouldn't actually take a god.........even an idiot could improve upon the state of this world.

Then you should be qualified. Off you go then. See how many people listen to your ravings - sorry - 'theories'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users