Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Doesn't the Moon Spin?

moon spin lunar sun earth

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postpallidin, on 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Huh????

That is clearly a mis-statement.

No, it's entirely correct.

Read this: http://www.moonconne...same-side.phtml

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postpallidin, on 31 March 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

If a person in, say, North Amerca, observes different craters than those, say, in South America, than this would be a different story.

But, everyone on the planet earth see's the same craters as everyone else elsewhere

Do they not?

EDIT: Show me at least 1 earth observation that a different part of the earth has observed the "dark side" of the moon.
Read this link: http://en.wikipedia....i/Tidal_locking
It explains it better than I can.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,955 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 31 March 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Maybe it's just me, but in the last 40 years I have not seen the moon rotate even an inch. (from earth perspective)

I see the exact same moon craters as I saw 40 years ago.
Mostly, but not exactly, due to an effect called libration it is actually possible to see 59% of the moons surface from the Earth, but given the difficulty you have grasping danielost's point I don't intend to muddy the waters further by describing it here.

View Postpallidin, on 31 March 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Right, BUT THE BUCKET IS NOT ROTATING on it's own.
danielost is quite right, from a stationary view point the bucket will have rotated.

Forgive my (non-existent) artistic capabilities, but I have drawn a diagram to illustrate Daniels point. It represents the person with the bucket as viewed from above looking down.

As the person rotates from position "A" to position "B" you will notice that they are still only seeing the green side of the bucket. However from our view point it is clear to see that the bucket has actually rotated through 90 degrees.

Posted Image

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

Ok, Waspie, but if the moon itself rotates from the perspective of the earth, would we not eventually see all "sides" of it?

Someone here said that the the moon does rotate, but that it matches exactly the rotation of the earth, thus appearing the same.

Fine, I can go with that(I think) but how does the moon's self rotation EXACTLY match that of our planet, especially considering it's elliptical orbit around the earth.

I'm just confused as how that "lock" can occur when the moon distance changes, yet we, here on earth, see zero rotation.

EDIT: Perhaps I am wrong, and that a full rotation of the moon from the perspective of the earth, and given it's elliptical orbit(which I assume breaks the "lock", just takes maybe thousands of years to observe?
Or is it's elliptical orbit (distance differances) still within a functional "lock" with our earth regardless of time?

EDIT: For example, would the moon have presented differenty, say 100,000 years ago?

Edited by pallidin, 01 April 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#20    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

The moon is a hologram anyways.

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postpallidin, on 01 April 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

Ok, Waspie, but if the moon itself rotates from the perspective of the earth, would we not eventually see all "sides" of it?

Someone here said that the the moon does rotate, but that it matches exactly the rotation of the earth, thus appearing the same.

Fine, I can go with that(I think) but how does the moon's self rotation EXACTLY match that of our planet, especially considering it's elliptical orbit around the earth.

I'm just confused as how that "lock" can occur when the moon distance changes, yet we, here on earth, see zero rotation.

EDIT: Perhaps I am wrong, and that a full rotation of the moon from the perspective of the earth, and given it's elliptical orbit(which I assume breaks the "lock", just takes maybe thousands of years to observe?
Or is it's elliptical orbit (distance differances) still within a functional "lock" with our earth regardless of time?

EDIT: For example, would the moon have presented differenty, say 100,000 years ago?

Due to the moons orbit, it does rock back and forth.  Giving us a view of about 59% of its surface.  This is called liberation.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#22    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

The left eye of Horus does not spin because Khonsu would get dizzy and vomit. Always go for the obvious answer first.....

#23    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,179 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

I would pay to see the dark side of the Moon!

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostAntilles, on 01 April 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Google it.  They may have photo shots of it.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#25    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,586 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'll sell you a picture for 100 bucks

#26    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,955 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Well the term "dark side" is incorrect to start with. With the exception of a few craters near the poles the sun rises and sets over the whole of the moon, so when we have a new moon on Earth, the side we can not see is actually in daylight (this is because the Moon DOES rotate).

The side we can not see is more correctly called the far side and there are many, many, pictures of it as it has been mapped by Russian, US, European, Japanese, Chinese and Indian spacecrat.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#27    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

The phenomenon is called gravitational locking and is brought about over many millions of years by tides.  Eventually the earth will also be locked to the moon and keep the same face toward it, so that from the earth the moon will only be visible from one side -- just as the earth is never visible on the moon from the "far side."

The moon does rotate, but one rotation is the same as one revolution about the earth, so that it does not seem to do so from our perspective.

An interesting question is why the far side of the moon looks so different from the side we see.  We see the man on the moon -- a surface with some craters but also large flat areas (mare or seas -- although of course that is only their appearance, there being almost no water}.  The far side has no mare but instead looks pocketed with nothing but craters.

#28    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 April 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

The phenomenon is called gravitational locking and is brought about over many millions of years by tides.  Eventually the earth will also be locked to the moon and keep the same face toward it, so that from the earth the moon will only be visible from one side -- just as the earth is never visible on the moon from the "far side."

The moon does rotate, but one rotation is the same as one revolution about the earth, so that it does not seem to do so from our perspective.

An interesting question is why the far side of the moon looks so different from the side we see.  We see the man on the moon -- a surface with some craters but also large flat areas (mare or seas -- although of course that is only their appearance, there being almost no water}.  The far side has no mare but instead looks pocketed with nothing but craters.

This is probable due to most of the impacters hit on the far side.

#29    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,222 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Here's something that might help:

http://science.howst...-moon-video.htm

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#30    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,146 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

There are a few maria on the far side of the Moon. There are also several very large impact craters, as large as some of the near side maria. Either the near side is more prone to the sort of mare-producing volcanism that the largest impacts seem to have triggered, or the far side maria were torn up by later impacts. Since the few far side maria seem about as well preserved as those on the near side, the latter possibility appears unlikely.
It has been suggested that mineral sources of radiogenic heat might be more common on the Moon's near side, and that this could explain the tendency to volcanism. If this is so, it counts strongly against the Giant Impact Hypothesis of the origin of the Moon. Such an impact should have distributed radiogenic minerals through all Lunar longitudes.

Edited by bison, 01 April 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Also tagged with moon, spin, lunar, sun, earth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users