Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vikings on Greenland?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    pebby too

pebby too

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hello my brillant people,  I think about 20 years ago I saw a T.V. program that talked about a discovery of an ancient Viking settlement that had graves that had extrememly tall skeletons in them? Does anyone know what I am thinking of? It has been simmering in the back of my mind for years if it was really true or just wishes for exciting ancestors.

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Vikings had settlements on Greenland but I don't know about the really tall skeletons.

#3    PaulLev

PaulLev

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Vikings had two major settlements on Greenland - one last almost up the time of Columbus.

#4    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

The only reference I can find (not looking too hard) says that the Vikings buried in a Greenland cemetery were about as tall as modern Scandinavians.

#5    Pssst

Pssst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

There is proof of Viking settlement in New Brunswick, Canada and Maine as well.  Google (I'm too lazy at the moment to do it for you.)  :)

#6    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,346 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

View Postpebby too, on 29 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hello my brillant people,  I think about 20 years ago I saw a T.V. program that talked about a discovery of an ancient Viking settlement that had graves that had extrememly tall skeletons in them? Does anyone know what I am thinking of? It has been simmering in the back of my mind for years if it was really true or just wishes for exciting ancestors.

Welcome Pebby. Given that your memories of the details of the broadcast program are quite vague, it is rather difficult to comment on such.

As a possibly contributory note, archaeological recoveries have revealed that the average height of Norse males of the period in question (which is not really "ancient") fall into the ca. 5' 7" - 5' 9" range. Larger than the average stature of many of their contemporary observers, but hardly "giants".

#7    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,346 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostPssst, on 01 April 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

There is proof of Viking settlement in New Brunswick, Canada and Maine as well.  Google (I'm too lazy at the moment to do it for you.)  :)

You may wish to further consult your references. Newfoundland, yes. Baffin Island, possibly. Maine? Am unaware of credible documentation.

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I don't think I've read of any giants on Greenland. But....

There are dozens of old articles from newspapers from the 19th and very early 20th centurys of giants being dug up all over North America.

Example...
http://www.sott.net/...d-Men-of-renown

The problem being not even one bone of any of these giants is still to be found anywhere.

Edited by DieChecker, 01 April 2013 - 04:38 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,274 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I believe those North American giants' bones turned out to be mastodons', which in turn gave rise to a later generation of giants who turned out to be hoaxes.

The Maine Viking evidence was, IIRC, a Viking coin that could easily have been carried into Maine over an Amerind trading route.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock, 01 April 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#10    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

King Harald Sigurdsson was more than 2m by accounts from his times. He was Norwegian, as were the settlers of Iceland and Greenland, it would not be impossible that among the settlers were also such large men.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users