Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Man rammed against a fence by a bison

bison antelope island state park utah

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,472 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

They are pictures which show exactly why it isn't wise to taunt animals which are much larger and more powerful that you.

When this enormous one-ton bison was going about its daily basis in Antelope Island State Park in Utah, a rather foolish man decided it would be a good idea to provoke it.

However, not exactly known for their friendly nature, the bison decided to teach the man a lesson.

http://www.dailymail...scape-life.html

Posted Image

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,569 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Huge and beautiful and ill-tempered.
Wow! He thinks he wasn't injured. Has he died of a punctured lung or internal bleeding since the article was written?
I'm surprised it let him walk away.
"Who's messin' with who, now. Stupid human!"

I value evancj's photos even more now.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 30 March 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#3    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Another BS Daily Mail newspaper article. The guy certainly does not look to be taunting the bison. He looks to be over 30ft away and, to me, appears to be holding a camera, possibly filming the creature. He might have been trying to get it's attention, but how is that a provocation in the context the article describes?

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 30 March 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,186 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Wow. Ouch!

#5    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Another BS Daily Mail newspaper article. The guy certainly does not look to be taunting the bison. He looks to be over 30ft away and, to me, appears to be holding a camera, possibly filming the creature. He might have been trying to get it's attention, but how is that a provocation in the context the article describes?

"Witnesses say the man, pictured walking away from the incident, went out of his way to provoke the bison"

o_O

Edited by The Skater Boy, 30 March 2013 - 08:33 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#6    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 30 March 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

"Witnesses say the man, pictured walking away from the incident, went out of his way to provoke the bison"

o_O

Yet not a single witness name has been provided (in any of the four articles that I read), and not even a witness quote either. There was also an extremely shady claim in one of them, along the lines of 'he may also have thrown a rock'.

Like I said, crap journalism.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 30 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

When I was in Yellowstone they had signs up everywhere saying not to get too close to the Bison but yet people did anyway trying to get a picture.  I don't think some people realize how fast they can move and every year someone finds out.

#8    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,009 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

I have been to that place in 2011 and had nearly a close encounter too.
You need to be a fair distance too, also the man was crouching or bending his knees which for the Bison is an aggressive move

Edited by The New Richard Nixon, 30 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#9    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Yet not a single witness name has been provided (in any of the four articles that I read), and not even a witness quote either. There was also an extremely shady claim in one of them, along the lines of 'he may also have thrown a rock'.

Like I said, crap journalism.

Not everybody wants their name in the newspaper and not all journalists even ask for names, they simply ask for eyewitness accounts, especially for such a minor story like this. Just because there's bad journalism, doesn't mean all journalists are bad.

Animals don't attack for no reason, especially wild ones.

Edited by The Skater Boy, 30 March 2013 - 09:01 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Witnesses told rangers the man rattled a fence separating him from the bison, appearing to try to get its attention as he was taking pictures. Some also said he may have chucked a couple of rocks at the beast.

"The [bison] had gone through the gate section that's located real close to where he got hit and looked like he was going to run off the field," Wayne Ebenroth of Boise, Idaho, said during an interview Wednesday on KSL NewsRadio. "He had to have done something to catch the [bison's] attention, because that's when he turned around and decided to pay him a visit."

http://www.ksl.com/?...e&s_cid=queue-1

Posted Image

#11    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 30 March 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Not everybody wants their name in the newspaper and not all journalists even ask for names, they simply ask for eyewitness accounts, especially for such a minor story like this. Just because there's bad journalism, doesn't mean all journalists are bad.

Animals don't attack for no reason, especially wild ones.

There aren't even any quotes, never mind names. And it is horrible journalism to not get names of witnesses, as it leaves an account basically unverifiable, regardless of how 'minor' a story is. And I didn't say anywhere that all journalism was bad.

Also, of course animals can attack for no reason. Granted that there usually is an obvious reason , but not exclusively.

Nix, most animals, I thought, see the opposite of crouching (making yourself larger) as aggressive, do they not? I guess bison may be different though.

#12    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 30 March 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Witnesses told rangers the man rattled a fence separating him from the bison, appearing to try to get its attention as he was taking pictures. Some also said he may have chucked a couple of rocks at the beast.

"The [bison] had gone through the gate section that's located real close to where he got hit and looked like he was going to run off the field," Wayne Ebenroth of Boise, Idaho, said during an interview Wednesday on KSL NewsRadio. "He had to have done something to catch the [bison's] attention, because that's when he turned around and decided to pay him a visit."

Apart from the pure speculation about throwing rocks, none of this would account for provoking the bison to charge at him in the manner that the article describe. I had already read this.

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,186 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nah, the reason the bison didn't kill him is because it caught a wiff of the photographer smoking a joint, and moved in to say "you wanna share?"

Edited by pallidin, 30 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#14    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

There aren't even any quotes, never mind names. And it is horrible journalism to not get names of witnesses, as it leaves an account basically unverifiable, regardless of how 'minor' a story is. And I didn't say anywhere that all journalism was bad.

Also, of course animals can attack for no reason. Granted that there usually is an obvious reason , but not exclusively.

Nix, most animals, I thought, see the opposite of crouching (making yourself larger) as aggressive, do they not? I guess bison may be different though.

No, just no. They're not mindless creatures, if you get attacked by an animal and it wasn't biting chunks out of you due to hunger or something, you were probably asking for it.

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 March 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Apart from the pure speculation about throwing rocks, none of this would account for provoking the bison to charge at him in the manner that the article describe. I had already read this.
Did you read this bit?

"While bison are not usually aggressive, they are unpredictable and can become dangerous"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users