Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Man rammed against a fence by a bison

bison antelope island state park utah

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46    Goddess_Lilith

Goddess_Lilith

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

• Well behaved women rarely make history.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Idk why this made me laugh. Oh ya I do, its because incredibly stupid people are funny sometimes.

#47    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostGoddess_Lilith, on 31 March 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

Idk why this made me laugh. Oh ya I do, its because incredibly stupid people are funny sometimes.

Read the post before yours, it is from a local there :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#48    Goddess_Lilith

Goddess_Lilith

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

• Well behaved women rarely make history.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

View PostSakari, on 31 March 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

Read the post before yours, it is from a local there :)

I did...and it just validated the fact that he was incredibly stupid. Why would anyone go into that area where the aggressive bulls are known to be and think nothing at all might happen? So weird that an aggressive wild animal would do something like that, I would have NEVER seen that coming....

#49    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Once while driving through the midwest I saw a most unusual sight: a man behind a fenced in field, working on something and right next to him, a full grown bison. Outside the fence was another man, a little girl and a large billboard about Jesus. The scene was so odd I had to stop to talk to the man. He told me he had raised the bison from a calf and that it was "tame". However when he try to touch its horns it kept pushing his hand away with a head butt. He said it could be "ornery". While it was certainly used to humans it looked to weight several hundred pounds and did not appreciate physical contact from what I could see. It might be less dangerous then say a pet lion, but I wouldn't want to be in there with it on a bad day!

#50    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

I found one account of how the original herd was brought to the island.

http://historytogo.u...ime/111493.html

#51    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 30 March 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

"animals can turn without being provoked"

I was a veterinary nurse for some time and I can't say I could agree with what you say.

I have four decades of all kinds of animal rescue under my belt and they do indeed turn for reasons unbeknownst to us. A baby sleeping peacefully in it's cradle seems to be of no threat to a pet, but they still know jealousy. Seemingly docile pets have caused severe damage and death to infants.  An apparently harmless pet can wreak havoc in an instant due to what we would call a temper tantrum if it was a child. Unfortunately, they can do a lot more intentional, or unintentional, damage during their outbursts...depending on their size.

Not to mention, as in this case, people get stupid when they see animals they usually don't encounter. Simply because they are herbivores doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Edited by Michelle, 31 March 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#52    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,140 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

Other then the leading cause of death in Africa is religion look to the Hippo ;)

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Speaking to Expand's point, here's another mauling; dogs turned for reasons unknown.   A plump little toddler clumsily running around in the yard was just too tempting to pass up.  I suspect the dogs get high on their instinctual pack mentality and feed off of each others' energy, their behavior escalates in time until the human becomes a prey item.

Another 5-year old was mauled by a pit bull in the past few days too.  A man hit it with a 2x4 trying to save the kid and it didn't stop its attack.

The Little Rascals always outnumbered Petey.  A dog owner letting a small child run around a yard with seven pit bulls needs to get their heads examined.  I would think criminal charges are imminent.

http://atlanta.cbslo...t-familys-home/

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#54    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 31 March 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

I have never been bitten or attacked by any animal and plenty have been distressed, prodded and poked and had every reason to want to bite somebody. I'll take my experience over a bunch of crap on the Internet which couldn't have more crap on it if it tried.

i thought you said you had a degree? If this is the case then it should be fairly simple for you to distinguish 'Crap from the internet' from the peer reviewed evidence that I just supplied, that I could only find through my university account (which, actually, says more about your knowledge of the subject than your posts ever could). I didn't pull up a bunch of HTML opinion based pieces from the 90s, I supplied actual evidence.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#55    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostMichelle, on 31 March 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

I have four decades of all kinds of animal rescue under my belt and they do indeed turn for reasons unbeknownst to us. A baby sleeping peacefully in it's cradle seems to be of no threat to a pet, but they still know jealousy. Seemingly docile pets have caused severe damage and death to infants.  An apparently harmless pet can wreak havoc in an instant due to what we would call a temper tantrum if it was a child. Unfortunately, they can do a lot more intentional, or unintentional, damage during their outbursts...depending on their size.

Not to mention, as in this case, people get stupid when they see animals they usually don't encounter. Simply because they are herbivores doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

And this is what is meant by 'unprovoked' - no 'legitimate' reason.

If a guy attacks someone who came before him in a queue because the person before him had the last ice-cream, was he then 'provoked'? No. It may be a reason, but doesn't mean he was provoked.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 31 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#56    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

All the local news reports here are saying witnesses reported that the man was rattling the fence, and throwing rocks and sticks at the bison. If that is not provoking an attack I don't know what is. I don't know about anyone else but that would be enough to provoke me.

#57    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

View Postevancj, on 02 April 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

All the local news reports here are saying witnesses reported that the man was rattling the fence, and throwing rocks and sticks at the bison. If that is not provoking an attack I don't know what is. I don't know about anyone else but that would be enough to provoke me.

Sticks and stones can break my bones.....

But rattling a fence infuriates me......

:blush:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users