Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pipeline Ruptures In Arkansas

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,773 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 04 April 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Detroit Edison's Fermi reactor did.

Of course, it had a little meltdown.  But I think we ought to at least take another look at fast breeders.
Doug
I corrected myself in saying commercial production.
I was briefly a fan of Thorium reactors until I looked into it more closely.

We have created a problem in the form of nuclear waste which might make fast breeders the best solution to that problem - but we may have to face the very real prospect of more small scale accidents in the reprocessing side and a significantly increased cost for our electricity. If we go down this route the focus should be on the waste problem rather than generating a whole new raft of dangerous nuclear power plants to solve our energy problems.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#17    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,647 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 April 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

I corrected myself in saying commercial production.
Detroit Fermi was in commercial production when it had the meltdown.  It demonstrated that fast breeders are commercially viable, but fell a little short in the safety area.

It was a safety device that malfunctioned and caused the meltdown.  Oh, the irony!
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#18    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Here's a great video of the spill taken from a helicopter.  They made the area a no fly zone right after this.  Wonder why.

Web Extra: Aerial Footage of Mayflower Oil Spill

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,618 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Good video Hilander!  It looks like only 4 houses were directly impacted by the oil.  That is, having oil in their yards.  Otherwise it's mostly in the street.

Common Dreams has a story this morning about how Exxon's people are enforcing a sort of martial law atmosphere there, threatening to arrest a reporter asking too many questions.

#20    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,048 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 06 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

It looks like only 4 houses were directly impacted by the oil.  That is, having oil in their yards.  Otherwise it's mostly in the street.

So only 4 houses? really?

Are they going to replace the concrete in the street too? This crap seeps into the porous nature of concrete, then down into the groundwater and then presto, everyone downstream is drinking poison. Not to mention the pollution and poisoning of wildlife and natural areas that can't really be "cleaned up", ever. This area is permanently destroyed. The whole neighborhood houses now have zero value. This is the new "Love Canal" but now in Arkansas.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#21    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Did anyone notice the oil floating on the water.

#22    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,618 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

View Postninjadude, on 06 April 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

So only 4 houses? really?

Are they going to replace the concrete in the street too? This crap seeps into the porous nature of concrete, then down into the groundwater and then presto, everyone downstream is drinking poison. Not to mention the pollution and poisoning of wildlife and natural areas that can't really be "cleaned up", ever. This area is permanently destroyed. The whole neighborhood houses now have zero value. This is the new "Love Canal" but now in Arkansas.

I completely agree with you Ninja.  My only point was that as far as direct damage, from the overhead video it appears that only 4 houses were directly impacted.  All things considered, the entire neighborhood took a huge hit and the value of the homes was pretty well lost.

#23    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,773 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Whats more important is that without digging out all the effected soil, the neighbourhood will have to be abandoned for at least a few decades whilst the carcinogenic toxins dissipate. If you see anything less been advocated for these people then effectively Exxon have consigned them to a game of Russian roulette with cancer as the inevitable consequence somewhere down the line.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#24    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,048 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 07 April 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I completely agree with you Ninja.  My only point was that as far as direct damage, from the overhead video it appears that only 4 houses were directly impacted.  All things considered, the entire neighborhood took a huge hit and the value of the homes was pretty well lost.

yeah. It just makes me mad. We have zillions of miles of piplines. And we actually need them. I *think* it's safer than trucks. But we've got to do better than this.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#25    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

There was another pipeline break as well.

http://rt.com/usa/sh...-oil-texas-409/

#26    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Ever get the feeling they don't maintain these pipelines but yet they want to build more.

#27    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Activists with the group Tar Sands Blockade published new videos on Sunday showing oil from the Arkansas pipeline rupture purportedly diverted from a residential neighborhood into a wetland area to keep it out sight and, most importantly, out of the media.

Activists claim Arkansas oil spill diverted into wetland

Yes lets keep it out of the media, wouldn't want people knowing the truth.  Posted Image

#28    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostRafterman, on 04 April 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

And we're doing that, but until that technology is fully online, what do we do in the interim?
Try to consume as little oil as possible.  Walk when you can, don't do any unnecessary driving, carpool, don't buy gas guzzlers, ride a bike, ride a horse, keep the thermostat turned down in winter, up in summer, put up heavy curtains, insulate your house, in other words conserve where you can.  There may not be any one single solution but we need to be weaned off oil.

We have enough pipelines running everywhere.  They need to prove they can maintain these before we add more.

North American Pipelines Map

#29    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,501 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Looks like the oil spill was larger than first told.

Arkansas ExxonMobil oil spill even worse than thought

#30    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,073 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostHilander, on 11 April 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Looks like the oil spill was larger than first told.

It seems that every major spill  ends up being much LARGER than they first  "thought"  or "estimated"    ...  it's a PR thing to break the bad news in increments?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users