Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cicadas Coming to U.S. East Coast This Spring

cicadas magicicada septendecim

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,521 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Cicadas are REALLY noisy where I live (Spanish Mediterranean Coast) during the season - hopefully we dont have any "17 year cycle" cicadas!! :unsure2:

#17    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I hate their shells. I have found them all over my trees in the backyard . You see the holes where they have burrowed up from too .
It's going to be loud ,but its not like we haven't had this occur before . Some people have nothing better to write about .

Miss me?

#18    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

This confuses me. It makes it sound like they've been living underground for 17 years. Have they? I didn't know insects lived that long.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#19    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,103 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostRockabyeBillie, on 11 April 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

This confuses me. It makes it sound like they've been living underground for 17 years. Have they? I didn't know insects lived that long.

Time for some factoids then?

A cicada has three very different looks for the different stages of its life. First it starts off as an egg about the size of a grain of rice. When it hatches it is a creamy white nymph (nimf) with 4 little legs and two big pincer-like ones at the front, a bit like crabs claws. When it becomes an adult cicada it looses the pincer-like legs at the front and instead has 6 little legs and four wings which are totally see through except for the veins running through them. An adult cicada’s colour depends on the type of cicada it is – they’re usually green or black or brown.

Cicada eggs are laid in the bark of trees by the female cicada.

When the nymph hatches out of the egg it drops out of the tree and onto the ground. It uses its big front claws to tunnel into the ground where it stays for up to 17 years for some species of cicada!

Underground the cicada eats the sap from tree roots using its rostrum which is like two straws in one. It spits saliva down one straw onto the tree root to break it down and then uses the other straw to suck up the root juices. Charming!

Adult cicadas don't seem to eat much.

The noise that an adult cicada makes is made by the male and is his way of attracting a girlfriend.

It's pretty tricky to tell the difference between male and female cicadas but the female has a sharper, pointy "bottom" than the males because she has an ovipositor for laying eggs with.

http://www.suzy.co.n...p?factsheet=229

But I agree, 17 years is a long time for a bug

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#20    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,103 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 11 April 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Some people have nothing better to write about .

And some people don't have cicadas in their country so never get to hear them, or hear anything about them - except from articles as per the OP... so far as I know we certainly dont have them in the UK...

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#21    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

let them find their own mate people.humans are so sensitive to everything these days.they get annoyed and etc.the point i am trying to make is they need to mate and well maybe the noise is a way or method for them to call the females.i personally don't find it disturbing just cover your ears simple as that.but sleeping for 17 years wow that's a lot these little critters are going to be so energetic and hungry lol

#22    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

The birds shall be very pleased this summer.

#23    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,103 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostIamLegend, on 11 April 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

The birds shall be very pleased this summer.

if you were UK/English thats a great innuendo!

#24    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

heheh yeh :tu:   Waiting for it for 17 years eh? id have been doing whatever I needed to keep strong and fit in that time period, so when I emerged...hehe.. Id be strong enough to be like the Duracell battery...(which keeps on going)!  Not to mention fighting off the competition....I mean, you wouldn't want to wait all that time and then get an UGLY Cicada mate would you?  :w00t:

Oh, come on now, looks aren't everything.  I mean, if you've waited 17 years I'm sure you wouldn't be too picky about who you share your DNA with...lol

Anyway, how can you tell a cute cicada from an ugly one?  Lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#25    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,002 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

I love listening to them every summer. I don't remember them being a particularly large problem 17 years ago. I saw more last years than I'd seen in a while. I guess those woke up early.

Edited by Michelle, 11 April 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#26    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,103 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 11 April 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Oh, come on now, looks aren't everything.  I mean, if you've waited 17 years I'm sure you wouldn't be too picky about who you share your DNA with...lol

Anyway, how can you tell a cute cicada from an ugly one?  Lol

if Id waited 17 years Id worry about the angle of my dangle! Use it or lose it is what they say isnt it?

Yeh but I guess any port in a storm will do...

Actually I happen to be very handsome, no kidding...(so my mum says anyway) and I AM a bit fussy. But red knickers and black stockings usually convinces me :w00t:  Maybe Cicadas have a similar color strategy???

Edited by seeder, 11 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#27    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

They are extremely loud and dogs eat them like candy. A terrifying looking bug but they really are harmless, well, mostly, they could make you deaf!!

#28    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,002 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

The people that make jewelry out of them are going to be in hog heaven. :yes:

#29    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,103 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostLeah G., on 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

They are extremely loud and dogs eat them like candy. A terrifying looking bug but they really are harmless, well, mostly, they could make you deaf!!

But do you experience a plague amount of them as the OP suggests? Im curious, we dont have them here, thankfully!

View PostMichelle, on 11 April 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

The people that make jewelry out of them are going to be in hog heaven. :yes:

Really? Sounds cool? Which bit do they use, the 'body armor'? And what do they make?

#30    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,002 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Really? Sounds cool? Which bit do they use, the 'body armor'? And what do they make?

Mostly they make earrings out of the iridescent wings .Google it...different people do different things with them. It's not my taste, but they aren't bad at all and at least they don't kill them. They find their poor little dead bodies all over the place.

Edited by Michelle, 11 April 2013 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users