Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cicadas Coming to U.S. East Coast This Spring

cicadas magicicada septendecim

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    smokeycat

smokeycat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

• Science is about open-minded inquiry.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

And some people don't have cicadas in their country so never get to hear them, or hear anything about them - except from articles as per the OP... so far as I know we certainly dont have them in the UK...

New Forest cicada (Cicadetta montana) is native to the UK. If you are over 40 you probably won't hear it though (sound frequencies).

https://en.wikipedia...cadetta_montana

:)

If you are ever near the New Forest you could help 'The New Forest Cicada Project'. An app is being made for Android and iOS.

http://www.newforestcicada.info/

;)

Edited by smokeycat, 11 April 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#32    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,689 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postsmokeycat, on 11 April 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

New Forest cicada (Cicadetta montana) is native to the UK. If you are over 40 you probably won't hear it though.

https://en.wikipedia...cadetta_montana

:)

If you are ever near the New Forest you could help 'The New Forest Cicada Project'. An app is being made for Android and iOS.

http://www.newforestcicada.info/

;)

But do the UK ones plague and make lots of noise every 17 years?  Ive been with my boys in summer while they catch noisy grasshoppers, or try to! But never heard anything, I think, like a cicada! But then again what do I know!

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#33    smokeycat

smokeycat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

• Science is about open-minded inquiry.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

No unfortunately. They are rare and is regarded as endangered in the UK and over large parts of Europe.

:(

#34    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,689 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

View Postsmokeycat, on 11 April 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

. If you are over 40 you probably won't hear it though (sound frequencies).

;)

yeh and thats another reason I dont hear anything like them. :cry:

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#35    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

if Id waited 17 years Id worry about the angle of my dangle! Use it or lose it is what they say isnt it?

Yeh but I guess any port in a storm will do...

Actually I happen to be very handsome, no kidding...(so my mum says anyway) and I AM a bit fussy. But red knickers and black stockings usually convinces me :w00t:  Maybe Cicadas have a similar color strategy???

I don't know because we don't have them in Hawaii either but after 17 years and considering the sheer quantity of attendees to this party, I think it will be a mad frenzy of mating and not a lot of talk!  lol!

Maybe a major factor for the males & females is whether the other is alive and not being snacked on...lol

View PostLeah G., on 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

They are extremely loud and dogs eat them like candy. A terrifying looking bug but they really are harmless, well, mostly, they could make you deaf!!

That is hilarious, the dogs must think it's mana from heaven!  Lol!  If love to see out

View PostMichelle, on 11 April 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

The people that make jewelry out of them are going to be in hog heaven. :yes:

I've seen some on TV they are pretty but look so fragile.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#36    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,028 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

In Australia we seem to get cicadas every year, green grocers, floury bakers, yellow mondays, black princes..the birds get blaze after a while and only eat the soft tail end leaving the poor cicada still walking around for hours.
Cicadas are beautiful, they have 3 jewels on their foreheads and are harmless, but make a racket like permanent tinnitus.Growing up in australia they were a hit when I was a kid , I remember getting kicked out of class because my pet cicada wouldnt shut up.. :innocent:

#37    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

They are kind of cute  :)Attached File  cicada-sam.jpeg   16.58K   3 downloads

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#38    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

But do you experience a plague amount of them as the OP suggests? Im curious, we dont have them here, thankfully!

Pretty much but not Biblical proportions. They make a mess, they leave their shells all over the place and they crunch...

#39    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Well, I guess this is one positive to moving back to the west coast.

I'll stick with the useless box elder bugs, that serve no purpose whatsoever.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#40    J Gab

J Gab

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Glad this is east coast...we had our brood pop up years ago here in Ohio.

There were so many I remember I went outside with a wiffle bat, randomly swung in the air, and hit one...don't judge, I was a teenager.

#41    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

I recorded those noisy little guys one time and if you play it back very loud it is great to get rid of unwanted visitors. :yes:

#42    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postseeder, on 11 April 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Time for some factoids then?

A cicada has three very different looks for the different stages of its life. First it starts off as an egg about the size of a grain of rice. When it hatches it is a creamy white nymph (nimf) with 4 little legs and two big pincer-like ones at the front, a bit like crabs claws. When it becomes an adult cicada it looses the pincer-like legs at the front and instead has 6 little legs and four wings which are totally see through except for the veins running through them. An adult cicada’s colour depends on the type of cicada it is – they’re usually green or black or brown.

Cicada eggs are laid in the bark of trees by the female cicada.

When the nymph hatches out of the egg it drops out of the tree and onto the ground. It uses its big front claws to tunnel into the ground where it stays for up to 17 years for some species of cicada!

Underground the cicada eats the sap from tree roots using its rostrum which is like two straws in one. It spits saliva down one straw onto the tree root to break it down and then uses the other straw to suck up the root juices. Charming!

Adult cicadas don't seem to eat much.

The noise that an adult cicada makes is made by the male and is his way of attracting a girlfriend.

It's pretty tricky to tell the difference between male and female cicadas but the female has a sharper, pointy "bottom" than the males because she has an ovipositor for laying eggs with.

http://www.suzy.co.n...p?factsheet=229

But I agree, 17 years is a long time for a bug

Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#43    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostMantis914, on 11 April 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Love cicadas, you always know the heat is coming when they're out singing in the trees.

Not to mention, when they get caught by a bird or another insect, they make that loud screeching...   I would too if I waited 17 years only to be eaten by a bird...
well heres something else that eats them,Its called a cicada Killer,its a wasp about 2 to-3 inches long that hunts them,and takes them down a hole in the ground where it lays eggs on it and when they hatch the larva eat it and grow.These Wasp have one heck of a sting and will make you cry,I know Ive been stung.Look it up and you guys will see what I ment about big wasp.

#44    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostLeah G., on 12 April 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Pretty much but not Biblical proportions. They make a mess, they leave their shells all over the place and they crunch...
Add a little salt, then dip liberally in aioli. Exquisite!

Posted Image

#45    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,019 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostThe Unseen, on 12 April 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

well heres something else that eats them,Its called a cicada Killer,its a wasp about 2 to-3 inches long that hunts them,and takes them down a hole in the ground where it lays eggs on it and when they hatch the larva eat it and grow.These Wasp have one heck of a sting and will make you cry,I know Ive been stung.Look it up and you guys will see what I ment about big wasp.

I was just about to comment on that when Michelle mentioned the jewelry made from the dead parts of these animals.  It'd be something if cicada killers chased after someone wearing those items.  I don't know if they spot the cicadas by the markings or the sound or smell but they find them... I know I wouldn't want to be stung by one of those, they look like hornets on steroids...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users