Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

sleep paralysis carla mackinnon demons incubus succubus

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postscowl, on 03 April 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

The funny thing: I wear glasses. I shouldn't be able to see them at all when I'm in bed!
You weren't awake by that time. You saw with them through your 3rd eye, you don't really see them.

#32    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,124 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

There is a little bit more to it than just hullucination. I don't agree with demons, but paying attention to the prallels of experiences across culture and time reveals some interesting information. These interviews are intriguing.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#33    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

You weren't awake by that time. You saw with them through your 3rd eye, you don't really see them.

I don't have a third eye. There are only two lenses in my glasses.

#34    JenniKitty

JenniKitty

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 200 posts

• I came out of the darkness with a bullet in my hand.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

I experienced this twice about 5 years ago, and both times were within the same month. The first time I was very frightened, I saw a dark figure which at the time I believed was a demon or something of the sort and it was across the room from me, I could not move or speak and it came towards me and reached out and that's when I felt extreme pressure on my chest and could not breath. I just lied there paralyzed watching it 'absorb my soul'(the best way I can describe the experience lol). I am pretty sure I fell back asleep afterwards but I can't really remember. The second time I felt more in control and although I couldn't speak or move once again, I did think in my head "No! Go away! You're not taking me!" and instead of come towards me the dark figure drifted away and the sunlight appeared from the window. Very weird whatever it was that happened but it hasn't happened since so I'm grateful for that!

#35    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostJenniKitty, on 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I experienced this twice about 5 years ago, and both times were within the same month. The first time I was very frightened, I saw a dark figure which at the time I believed was a demon or something of the sort and it was across the room from me, I could not move or speak and it came towards me and reached out and that's when I felt extreme pressure on my chest and could not breath. I just lied there paralyzed watching it 'absorb my soul'(the best way I can describe the experience lol). I am pretty sure I fell back asleep afterwards but I can't really remember. The second time I felt more in control and although I couldn't speak or move once again, I did think in my head "No! Go away! You're not taking me!" and instead of come towards me the dark figure drifted away and the sunlight appeared from the window. Very weird whatever it was that happened but it hasn't happened since so I'm grateful for that!

I find it really interesting that so many cases describe a pressure on the chest and the same black figure comes up.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#36    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,815 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

View Posthatakah, on 03 April 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Not all of these things are hallucinations. Some are quite real. I will not say any more. I will give you a link to further your research, instead:

http://montalk.net

Happy hunting!

Because you can not.

I love the " I know " replies, with all of the excuses as to " why I can not or will not prove it ".

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#37    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,527 posts

• “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.”-Shaun Hick

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Same post you always make, Sakari. We all know that you want proof and look for it, but it's not going to ring your doorbell unless you have one.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#38    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostJenniKitty, on 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Both times you were have the usually SP that most other people have but the second time you were probably more awake and not as fuzzy headed as the first time because you were having a lucid dream and you were able to think straight enough to use the power of suggestion to will your dream demon away. Nice job :clap:

Edited by csspwns, 04 April 2013 - 05:06 AM.

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#39    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

I haven't had sleep paralysis in maybe 2 years. I also never see demons and the closest I got was having trouble breathing. I think there are also ways to purposely have sleep paralysis because last night I deliberately slept on my back to try to have sleep paralysis and I accomplished it! When I woke up I couldn't move and I couldn't lift my eyelids but I was breathing okay. No demons or shadowy things though I'm not sure why my experiences are different for other peoples' :unsure2: And I woke up by pinching the fleshy part of my inner thigh. :lol: From yesterday's experience of SP I realize that I actually enjoy SP when I could breath without any pressure on my chest or air way. I feel all heavy and warm and fuzzy and comfortable. :D Yeah I enjoy sleep paralysis I'm such a weirdo. <_< Problem? Bring it on :gun:

Edited by csspwns, 04 April 2013 - 05:15 AM.

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#40    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,124 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Rolling your eyes also works to break you out of trance. Hint your eyes are not pralyzed ;)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#41    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 04 April 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Rolling your eyes also works to break you out of trance. Hint your eyes are not pralyzed ;)
Your toes and your breath also aren't paralyzed

#42    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 03 April 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Not sure I really believe in night terrors where people hallucinate. If it was in the mind, I would have thought we'd all suffer it and I've never had an episode nor do I know anyone who does. No doubt there's probably a few people who make it up/exaggerate as with anything but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of cases have a more sinister explanation.
So... you don't believe in hallucinations, or mental aberrations you haven't personally experienced? hmm...
Also, don't be too sure no one you know has experienced it. I've never bothered mentioning it to most of my friends or acquaintances.
--

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had sp but I've certainly had night terrors on and off since I was young. I think it's probably the workings of my brain, rather than anything external. I had them really badly every night up until a point where I went through an internal process that involved me becoming aware of certain mental states and beliefs that were feeding it, and being quite ruthless with them.
The basic mechanism still happens in stressful times - of me waking up and interacting with entities that (probably) aren't there... until after a few seconds I come to my senses or go back to sleep ... but it's more like the night-somewhat-creepies.

It also happened a couple times when staying with different friends, gave one of 'em a good scare lol. That time surprised me because I had no recollection of it, but it must have been pretty creepy to watch- because that friend was totally rattled when he asked me about it in the morning. He asked about meditations I had mentioned I used to do, and I had to try set his mind at ease that I didn't think I'd 'woken some kind of demon'. I wish I could have gotten a proper account of the event out of him, but it wasn't forthcoming.

I must admit, I would have relished it. Unless I embarrassed myself.

#43    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,782 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postscowl, on 03 April 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don't have a third eye. There are only two lenses in my glasses.
It's a very tiny eye on your "second head."

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#44    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

†

• 3,949 posts

• Sorry for the incoherent poetry.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostHilander, on 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

What do you call it when you are wide awake standing on the bed screaming at a demon or something?  I've had sleep paralysis before and I know what it is but this was nothing like that.  It happened in a apartment I use to live in.

Thats how I feel sleep paralysis is different.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#45    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

†

• 3,949 posts

• Sorry for the incoherent poetry.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

But I wont say demonic activity and sleep problems dont coincide, in my experience that is true. Ive only had SP like 3 or 4 times, but thats enough to know what it is.  My sleep problems were nightmares.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users