Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A question on where you stand on

do you desire it or not

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,750 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

When reading Anthony Flew about his ideas on God, that he believed in late in life, was the God of diesm.  He also stated that he did not want there to be an afterlife.  Question:  How many here do not want to exist after death?  There are times when oblivion seems a pleasant kind of fate, until I understand that oblivion is not rest, it is non-existence.  There are those who think that non-existence is something to be dreaded, others don't care, and a few look forward to it.  Where do you stand on this?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

I kind of think that the Afterlife is going to be a perceptual one, what you expect to happen is what will happen.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

After seeing a ghost I feel for sure there is a afterlife.  Boy am I going to have fun scaring someone when I get there.

#4    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Happy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

i would love nothing more than to see everyone ive lost over the years again... will it happen i dont know and i wont know till that day comes.

#5    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,337 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

I think it doesn't matter what I want, whatever's going to happen is going to happen, and I don't think I have a choice. If I do, it's surprise the tweet out of me, for sure.

#6    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 01 April 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

When reading Anthony Flew about his ideas on God, that he believed in late in life, was the God of diesm.  He also stated that he did not want there to be an afterlife.  Question:  How many here do not want to exist after death?

It is an impossible question, because you do not define what you mean by "exist". Exist how? That we do not exist in our current form after death is self-evident. Exist as some form of consciousness? Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

So what exactly do you mean by "exist after death"?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#7    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,750 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

It is an impossible question, because you do not define what you mean by "exist". Exist how? That we do not exist in our current form after death is self-evident. Exist as some form of consciousness? Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

So what exactly do you mean by "exist after death"?

Good question.  To exist means to stand out somehow, to be able to relate and grow.  To merge with the inflnite, to loss ones sense of self would not be an afterlife per se, at least for me.

Peace
Mark

#8    stillvoice

stillvoice

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Perhaps oblivion might be preferable to some form of existence after the extinction of the physical body because if there is life after death or something approximate to existence after the extinction of the body life being perhaps an inadequate word to describe it then I would imagine it to be so far outside of our comprehension that calling it life in any sense we would recognise it is wholly inappropriate. Also if there is some way in which survival of consciousness is possible it could be completely different from the depictions of the afterlife which for so long religion has attempted to describe and who is to say that this life isn't as good as it gets which I find very depressing.

However the alternative of oblivion or nothings words which would often seem to suggest a form of peace or rest also present the existentialist horror of non existence which much like the concept of life after death is beyond our comprehension.

#9    stillvoice

stillvoice

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 02 April 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Since we lose our conscious awareness every night in deep sleep (and even in the lighter dream-stages), what is the point? You cease to "exist" in that form every night of your life.

If death can be likened to losing our conscious awareness every night when we fall asleep might it be possible that if are able to retain some level of awareness akin to lucid dreaming that we may able to survive in some vague sense of the word?

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

I was always taught that there is no existince what so ever after death, I mean I guess there could be an after life but I would be fine if I just ceased to be when I die

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 02 April 2013 - 10:41 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users