Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Germans planned to build 'sun gun' weapon

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,147 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Back in 1945 it was revealed that German scientists had been planning to build a giant space mirror.

io9.com said:

Back in 1945, Life magazine revealed to its readers how “U. S. Army technical experts came up with the astonishing fact that German scientists had seriously planned to build a ‘sun gun’. ”

Posted Image Read more...

#2    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Archimedes?

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Nothing surprises me when it comes to Hitlers Germany. They tried so many out of the box ideas. You have do give credit where it is due though, they did make some amazing stuff.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    Whoop whoop

Whoop whoop

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

If i was making a death ray i wouldnt use mirrors, I would use a series of magnified glass starting with low magnification working my way up to super high magnification so the uv rays that are put into one end are outputed and focused at what ever needs too be destroyed. I think it would be a brilliant way to stop asteroid"s and meteor's without having to use nuke's in space.

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostWhoop whoop, on 02 April 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

If i was making a death ray i wouldnt use mirrors, I would use a series of magnified glass starting with low magnification working my way up to super high magnification so the uv rays that are put into one end are outputed and focused at what ever needs too be destroyed. I think it would be a brilliant way to stop asteroid"s and meteor's without having to use nuke's in space.

Just make sure if you make that... you sell it to the right people. I don't want the military or government to have that kind of thing. lol

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,504 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Got to give them credit for trying new things and giving others the inspiration to do so.  Couldn't have them ruling the world.

#7    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostCoffey, on 02 April 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Just make sure if you make that... you sell it to the right people. I don't want the military or government to have that kind of thing. lol
There is no right people, a destruction weapon is for destruction, no matter who will use it.

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 02 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

There is no right people, a destruction weapon is for destruction, no matter who will use it.

My knife is a destructive weapon if used that way... I never use it that way... So it's not always the case.

There is difference between someone only using it for meteors etc and a government using it as a WMD.

#9    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

yeah i would not do that use it as weapon guys and people.why?because then for one people  will think the sun is a bad thing using it as a weapon.two instead of building weapons and etc why not build free i do mean free solar energy devices for the whole planet and every home in the united states household.why free because it would be unfair to charge for solar power when the sun belongs to nobody.last thing people or someone might attempt is trying to patten the sun for themselves.if people pay for solar energy then sorry people i say it how it is you are dumb!!!nothing in this world is dangerous what makes things dangerous is if we make them like that or make them into weapons.it depends how use them.lets push for real world peace not fake world peace through weapons and violence.violence creates more violence!!!there will be people that promise world peace and a new and better one new world government but let me tell you this don't buy into that it truly has bad news written all over it and negative consequences people.

#10    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

The world would be at a standstill as thousands of women continuously look to the sky.

#11    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

If I read the article correctly, Life surmised that this could have been used as a weapon if it was greatly enlarged. The designer suggested the mirror would create a area of light equivalent to that of the effect of the sun at the equator ... perhaps a more benevolent microclimate for bleak German winters.

#12    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

Nazi Germany may have had its faults but it definitely had its glories. There are few modern technologies today that of which owe gratitude to several scientists during The Third Reich.

#13    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

All this admiration of Third Reich technologies reminds me of a Werner von Braun quote; "We aimed for the stars, but sometimes we hit London."

#14    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,562 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

I think it needs to be kept in perspective.

The nearly 5000-square-mile mirror, he said, would create a bright, heated “spot” on the earth’s surface about 2000 square miles in area.

We couldn't build that today, let alone in the 1930's/1940's when the V2 was the only rocket available.  It mentions astronauts who I assume would be doing space walks, it would have need re-entry capsules and something capable of carrying the weight each launch.  It is a lovely idea but as realistic with the technology of the time as building the Death Star with todays.

Edited by skookum, 03 April 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Posted Image

#15    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

The Nazis sponsored all sorts of hare-brained schemes, nothing ever came of them.
The few projects that actually produced useful weapons (like the ME262 jet fighter) were underfunded, delayed, and sometimes spoilt the Fuehrer himself with idiotic meddling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users