Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

LHC upgrade to enter 'new realm of physics'

lhc large hadron collider particles

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,421 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 03 April 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

What's good for life with a machine cost $100 millions ?

Why don't you try educating yourself a bit?

Firstly, science is an economy. A massive one. It creates jobs, generates money and drives progress.

Secondly, we have to experiment without knowing the outcome. We are doing now with quantum physics what people like Faraday did in the 1800s with electricity - and their experiments gave birth to the modern world. Imagine what these new physics will do?

View Postpizza123401, on 03 April 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

The hadron collider is going to create a mini black hole that will go to the center of the earth and suck in the planet, so i think the hadron collider is a bad idea!

No it isn't.

View Postemde, on 05 April 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

How came nobody can stop them!!!??? Please STOP them now!!!!

I didn't know caves came with internet access.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#17    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 09 April 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Why don't you try educating yourself a bit?

Firstly, science is an economy. A massive one. It creates jobs, generates money and drives progress.
Or a big waste of resource. Science may create job in some point, but it doesn't generate money, it's a spending of money in order to gain something. That thing might be priceless but it doesn't mean that everyone can take benefit from it.

View PostEmma_Acid, on 09 April 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Secondly, we have to experiment without knowing the outcome. We are doing now with quantum physics what people like Faraday did in the 1800s with electricity - and their experiments gave birth to the modern world. Imagine what these new physics will do?
I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do? Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.
What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing. Might as well pick a side and consider it exists or not exists to move on. Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

#18    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 09 April 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Or a big waste of resource. Science may create job in some point, but it doesn't generate money, it's a spending of money in order to gain something. That thing might be priceless but it doesn't mean that everyone can take benefit from it.

I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do? Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.
What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing. Might as well pick a side and consider it exists or not exists to move on. Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

Ya look how terrible the world is today because science invested in medicine.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#19    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,773 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Dude I hope you are trolling because if you are serious, than its really sad being you....

Finally got my black belt....

#20    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 09 April 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Ya look how terrible the world is today because science invested in medicine.
I'm not bashing science in general. But this hadron collider seems stupid, what the heck can you do with a "god particle" anyway. We advanced the physics too far that our technologies won't be able to catch up.

#21    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,421 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'll say it again: science is an economy. It generates jobs and money, the world over. This isn't my opinion, this is just a fact.

What resources are they wasting? And don't you think that the "something" they gain can be of social, financial or technological benefit, or are you just being short sighted for the sake of it?

I don't know, you tell me. What these new physics will do?

Well, electricity created the 20th century. So use your imagination.

Faraday did a good job, yes. But it didn't took him $100 million, he did with little investment.

Are you saying that science is only worth it if it doesn't cost anything?

And "Faraday did a good job" might be understatement of the decade.

What can you do after you can confirm if the higg boson exist or not? Nothing.

I'm assuming you've not done much reading on the physics.

Might as well concentrate with dealing current problems on Earth rather than some imaginary theory

Oh dear.

1. $100m is pittance in the grand scheme of things. Its not even a quarter of the budget of an average blockbuster thats made these days, and yet I'm sure you probably went to see The Avengers and didn't think that money could be better spend on cancer research. The UK government has spent more on bailing out the banks in the last decade than they ever have on science, in all of history. And yet the results shape our society.

2. The people who work in physics aren't taking away funding, jobs and facilities from other "current problems on Earth" (whatever that means).

3. Every day life around us - from the internet you use and the computer you're typing away on to the hospital equipment you might one day need - were developed because of research done at Cern, where the LHC is. To sit there tapping away at your computer while being utterly ignorant of the science that gives you such luxuries is nothing short of hypocritical.

4. "Some imaginary theory" - see my comment about you not having done any reading.

I'm not bashing science in general. But this hadron collider seems stupid, what the heck can you do with a "god particle" anyway. We advanced the physics too far that our technologies won't be able to catch up.

So you haven't actually read or understood anything about it, but you're happy to come to a public forum and trash it anyway. Smart. And as for your last sentence... jeez, you just don't understand science, do you?

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#22    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,585 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I know almost nothing about it   but  I hope some good comes of it.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#23    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,093 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 10 April 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You don't really understand how research and development is hinged on science, do you? Where do you think the transistor came from? Or the optical fiber and the laser? Or all those other gadgets that you are using in your daily life? Maybe you should pack 'em all up and send them back and get your internet disconnected from your cave.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#24    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,773 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 10 April 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Im pretty sure back in the days there was a bunch of fools who claimed the brothers wright "invention" as a useless waste, then some idiots maybe also claimed computers to be useless and then some imbeciles who laughed at the internet. And now read what you wrote and then you can see how well you fit beween thise people :yes:  ....no offense intended

Finally got my black belt....

Also tagged with lhc, large hadron collider, particles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users