Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

53-a-week Iain Duncan Smith

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 04 April 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

When you have 29 million people working of which 26million are paying income tax and all this tax generated doesn't even cover the benefits bill, then at some point someone is going to have to take the tough action needed. benefit payments in this country are costing us £208 Billion pounds a year. how you go about resolving this problem is anyones guess, successive government have failed to grasp the nettle.

Income tax isn't the only tax revenue, the gov taxes everything they are able too, fresh air if they could, also included in those benefit payments were pensions what people had paid for in NI all their working lives

Its a very tricky subject as there are a lot of ways to view this,

We could take the view that many people pay tax and so are entitled to help if they become unemployed, or the fact that tax is sent as aid to other countries, spent on war, squandered on failed schemes, what about the bail out of the banks or the tax avoided of which 10% could pay the benefit bill, the millions claimed falsely by MPs.....

Sure we have lazy feckers but the demonisation of the benefit claimant is a diversionary tactic, its based around this concept of rewarding those who do work by reducing the amount of benefits people receive...very clever how the Gov have manipulated working people into agreeing.

I've been on benefits a few times in between jobs and its not an easy time I usually have to cut back on everything, sit in the cold during winter and go hungry I fail to see where this lavish lifestyle benefit claimers have is.

#17    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Update on IDS and could he survive on £53 a week

http://blacktriangle...st-of-the-week/

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,284 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

53quid? That's about a hundred aussie dollars.
I could easily live on that a week for food.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#19    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 04 April 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

53quid? I could easily live on that a week.

Apologies for the edit

That's what I,D,Smith said, only now he refuses to put his money where his mouth is.

#20    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 04 April 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

When you have 29 million people working of which 26million are paying income tax and all this tax generated doesn't even cover the benefits bill, then at some point someone is going to have to take the tough action needed. benefit payments in this country are costing us £208 Billion pounds a year. how you go about resolving this problem is anyones guess, successive government have failed to grasp the nettle.

"Someone is going to have to take the tough action needed" ?   How about the politician's lead by example ?

Politician's are the people that are milking the system in their extortionate expense account's for various luxury item's and help with their second home mortage payment's etc etc etc
Anyone else would have to pay for out of their own wage's/benefit's, so why dont they pay for what they want or need out of their own paypacket instead of sponging off the tax payer, like they blame the benefit claimant's of doing....... (Pot calling the kettle black ?)  

Show's how selfish and greedy the politician's are when they even try claiming such thng's like £39.00 for a breakfast (like Ian Duncan Smith has supposedly done) on ther expense account while there is a lot of people in this country that are homeless, hungry etc etc

Seem's to me the average joe/taxpayer/benefit claimant's are suffering these cut backs etc just to keep the politician's in their luxurious lifestyle, which they have grown accustomed to.......

Posted Image

#21    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,284 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 04 April 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Apologies for the edit

That's what I,D,Smith said, only now he refuses to put his money where his mouth is.
Assuming it's only on food and luxuries like the odd book, yeah.
I.D. Smith is a politician, and we all know how to "properly appreciate" them.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#22    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Any fool can eat well on £53 a week.As was mentioned earlier what about toiletries to stay clean so as to attend job interviews.Shoes,clothes,haircuts.Other household bills not covered by welfare...water,gas,electricity,Insurances,TV licence (Or do we spend nights staring at the wallpaper?) Stationery,stamps,phone calls...maintenance of home,paint,cleaning materials etc.Replacement of worn out appliances and household goods.The list goes on,there's more to living than three meals a day.

Posted Image

#23    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,435 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

How about him living on £124 per week = £496 per month..and then having to pay bills.A lot of pensioners are in that position,and they are too old to find work. I.D.Smith is an idiot for coming up with that statement. £53 per week is a luxury after the bills are paid.
Council Tax £109,
Electric £94
Water £51
T.V. licence £13

= £267 per month.

£496 - £267 =£229, per month £ 57 per week.  It cannot be done unless you dont eat.When you retire the Gov't is hoping you will die soon to avoid paying you a pension.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#24    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

If it was merely a case of food then I could easily live on £53 a week, hell I could feed a small family on £53 a week even.

The below assumes I have access to salt and pepper and butter already.  This assumes cooking for two and a child.

As an example.

Small Chicken - £3
Potatoes - £1
Carrots - £1
Onions - £1
Four Pints of Milk - £1
Bag of Oats - £1
Bag of Pearl Barley - £1
Bag of Apples - £1

Thats £10, for that I get a roast chicken dinner with glazed carrots, roast potatoes and onions.  I boil up the carcass to make a rich chicken soup for lunch/dinner the following day using the vegetables and pearl barley, i should have at least half of the veg remaining after these two meals.

I have enough oats for at least 4 days breakfast for the whole family and enough milk for tea/coffee for a several days (I make porridge with mostly water to save on milk)

The apples will be snack food for everyone and should last a couple of days with an apple or two per person per day.

The Pearl Barley will add bulk to any stews or soups I make and will last for several weeks as a little goes a long way.

So, £10 gets me.

2 Main Meals. (could stretch it to 3... even 4 for somone living alone with ease)
Up for a weeks worth of breakfasts for 2-3 people, nigh on two weeks+ for a single person.
Enough fruit for several days.
Milk for several days.

That leaves me £43 pounds to provide main meals for.... 5 days, assuming £10 for two days as demonstrated above thats £30 for the rest of the week leaving me £13 to buy toilet paper, household sundries and long shelf life goods used in the kitchen.

#25    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Update

The petition has grown to over 350k and still he refuses to make good on his claim,

As for the fact that many of us could live on £53 a week, I guess depending on which part of the country you live in also makes some degree of difference, living in London I assume it would be harder than living in a city up north where the cost of living is slightly cheaper, but I also think many of us are well used to having to live on such amounts so are well used to being thrifty and sensible, IDS orders £30 breakfasts so I would actually like him to take up his claim even if he is able to live on £53 I dont think that is the actual lesson I would hope that he sees just how difficult it can be, and that it isn't a bed of roses being on benefits

#26    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

He wouldn't be the first politico to make a dumb point by living for one week on such money, try doing it week after week after week when outgoings go up constantly while income remains the same.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#27    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,545 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

what i witness in life is not being expressed so far in this post, people are going on about how people cannot survive on £53 a week. well it seems over 5.2 million of working age can. this number of people have been living on benefits for over five years. you take the council estates all over the land, estates were the vast majority dont work. yet every house more or less have the sky dish up, most have a car outside - their kids seem to get all the presents at Christmas. they seem to be able to wear the latest fashionable clothing. mobile phones, smoking etc.. can afford to have 'house parties' most Friday / Saturday nights. can afford private hire taxis coming and going all hours. and yet defy all logic being spouted on here, not living, or existing on benefits, but flourishing not for weeks but for YEARS. you know the same benefits no-one can live on - yes those same benefits. so something is up somewhere.

when you have 1.2 million migrant workers doing low skilled jobs, and just under two million of your own citizens who could be doing these jobs but instead are claiming benefits then something is wrong, - for me the Tory Government have caught up with a lot of people and they simply dont like it. the Government are asking them the tough question. why are you not working? for some, those who have been made redundant or lost a job through no fault of their own, those who have a history of many years working the answer to the question is easy. -- BUT if you've been on benefits for three years and counting then something is wrong and the question becomes harder to answer. i refuse to believe anyone who is actively seeking work, who wants to work, will be claiming benefits for more than 12 months, okay in these times of economic recession maybe longer three years (max). (even though the unemployment figure is dropping)  - people seem to have forgotten what the welfare state is for. a system described as a safety net, not a comfort blanket.

for far to long people have done nothing for earn their benefit, here am talking about the work shy the long term useless. the ones who have no excuse in being unemployed for such a considerable time. - the stipulation for receiving benefits should have always been some sort of work. not just - 'sign on' once a fortnight and wait for the giro. playing the system, going in showing the advisor the fake job log. six months down the line huffing and puffing because they've been moved onto 'New Deal' and have to attend the job centre weekly instead of fortnightly (what a pain) then huff and puff again when sent on 'back to work' programs, maybe where they attend some sort of centre where services such as help with C'V's / Job search is offered. but after the two weeks is up their back to fortnightly signings, and the merry - go - around continues. deep down these people tell themselves they'd love a job, any job, up until one is offered and then find reasons why its not suitable.

The work shy, and the one million who have been claiming benefits for over 10 years should not be exempt from cuts in these times of austerity, when the working man/woman faces cuts.

Edited by stevewinn, 05 April 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#28    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 05 April 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

what i witness in life is not being expressed so far in this post, people are going on about how people cannot survive on £53 a week. well it seems over 5.2 million of working age can. this number of people have been living on benefits for over five years. you take the council estates all over the land, estates were the vast majority dont work. yet every house more or less have the sky dish up, most have a car outside - their kids seem to get all the presents at Christmas. they seem to be able to wear the latest fashionable clothing. mobile phones, smoking etc.. can afford to have 'house parties' most Friday / Saturday nights. can afford private hire taxis coming and going all hours. and yet defy all logic being spouted on here, not living, or existing on benefits, but flourishing not for weeks but for YEARS. you know the same benefits no-one can live on - yes those same benefits. so something is up somewhere.

when you have 1.2 million migrant workers doing low skilled jobs, and just under two million of your own citizens who could be doing these jobs but instead are claiming benefits then something is wrong, - for me the Tory Government have caught up with a lot of people and they simply dont like it. the Government are asking them the tough question. why are you not working? for some, those who have been made redundant or lost a job through no fault of their own, those who have a history of many years working the answer to the question is easy. -- BUT if you've been on benefits for three years and counting then something is wrong and the question becomes harder to answer. i refuse to believe anyone who is actively seeking work, who wants to work, will be claiming benefits for more than 12 months, okay in these times of economic recession maybe longer three years (max). (even though the unemployment figure is dropping)  - people seem to have forgotten what the welfare state is for. a system described as a safety net, not a comfort blanket.

for far to long people have done nothing for earn their benefit, here am talking about the work shy the long term useless. the ones who have no excuse in being unemployed for such a considerable time. - the stipulation for receiving benefits should have always been some sort of work. not just - 'sign on' once a fortnight and wait for the giro. playing the system, going in showing the advisor the fake job log. six months down the line huffing and puffing because they've been moved onto 'New Deal' and have to attend the job centre weekly instead of fortnightly (what a pain) then huff and puff again when sent on 'back to work' programs, maybe where they attend some sort of centre where services such as help with C'V's / Job search is offered. but after the two weeks is up their back to fortnightly signings, and the merry - go - around continues. deep down these people tell themselves they'd love a job, any job, up until one is offered and then find reasons why its not suitable.

The work shy, and the one million who have been claiming benefits for over 10 years should not be exempt from cuts in these times of austerity, when the working man/woman faces cuts.

Ever thought of becoming a politician ? :whistle:

Just in case You have missed my previous post, # 20 (seem's like You have), here is a quote from it

"
"Someone is going to have to take the tough action needed" ? How about the politician's lead by example ?

Politician's are the people that are milking the system in their extortionate expense account's for various luxury item's and help with their second home mortage payment's etc etc etc
Anyone else would have to pay for out of their own wage's/benefit's, so why dont they pay for what they want or need out of their own paypacket instead of sponging off the tax payer, like they blame the benefit claimant's of doing....... (Pot calling the kettle black ?)  "

So much for austerity.......

How is every claimant, "work shy / long term useless" ?
How about the sick/disabled people (like myself) that would love to work but due to their sickness disability that option is not there ?
Admittedly there is a lot of people that are milking the system (driving round in brand new cars etc, while on benefit), and something need's to be done about it, but there is still a lot of people that are NOT doing that, that are claimant's or receive benefit's.......

Posted Image

#29    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 04 April 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

53quid? That's about a hundred aussie dollars.
I could easily live on that a week for food.
  You could not live in this country on that amount of money,unless you are gonna walk everywhere, and dont buy clothes or shoes,dont have a car, don't go out anywhere for pleasure,(Movies £8.00) don't drink don't smoke,so I guess you have it good in Oz.For example a pint (schooner)will cost you £3,a gallon of petrol is £6.21, One bag of Fish & Chips £5.50.

#30    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 05 April 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

I know guys who are claiming benefits and have done for years, but they also have cash in hand jobs, like window cleaning, grass cutting, car washing, and other little jobs that keep them in the pub or the Bookies all Saturday,and most weekday nights, and what gets me is that they are proud they don't have proper jobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users