Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

JFK daughter Caroline 2B ambassador to Japan?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Caroline Kennedy: is JFK's daughter cut out to be US ambassador to Japan?
She is no expert on the country, has little political experience, plus an annoying habit of saying 'you know' all the time
Appearance: JFK's daughter.
Who is she? JFK's daughter. Also: an attorney, editor, fundraiser and philanthropist.
And what is she up to now? She is finally getting involved in the family business.
Being ludicrously rich? No, she has been in that for ages. The other family business.
Tragic deaths? Again, no, and that is not really a business. Not a viable one anyway.
What then? American politics.
Ah, that. Now that is a business. Is she running for the Senate or for Congress? Neither. She is not running for anything, in fact. She is, however, being vetted for the job of US ambassador to Japan.
Does that mean she has been offered it? Yup, and she is expected to announce that she will accept the role as soon as the selection panel are satisfied that being the daughter of a former president doesn't mean she is some kind of spy or robot.
So why her? Because diplomacy runs in the family. Her grandfather Joe was once ambassador to the UK, and her aunt Jean was Bill Clinton's ambassador to Ireland.
But does she have any kind of Japanese expertise? Nope, not at all.
http://www.guardian....mbassador-japan
What's motivating this appointment?
Payback for Senator Kennedy?
Grooming Caroline for higher (elected) office?

And what would it mean for relations between the U.S. & Japan?

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's obviously the "who you know" thing.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I understand what CK might get out of it. It would be a bright spot on anyone's resume'.

What does Obama get out of it? Egg on his face?

CK undertook to run for elected office a while back, and as soon as things heated up a little, she dropped out.

I think she should stay out of the kitchen. Our relationship w/ Japan is too important.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,848 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I would think she isn't qualified for it.  Being a offspring of someone like her father doesn't automatically make you a expert.

#5    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

"I would think she isn't qualified for it." H
"But does she have any kind of Japanese expertise? Nope, not at all." guardian
I appreciate the harmony.

But that merely accentuates the question. Why CK?

"When the picture doesn't make any sense, a piece of the puzzle is missing." psychologist Joy Browne
A piece of the puzzle is missing here.

#6    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

View Postsear, on 02 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

What's motivating this appointment?
Payback for Senator Kennedy?
Grooming Caroline for higher (elected) office?

And what would it mean for relations between the U.S. & Japan?

Wow. Jealous,  much? Why not Caroline? Shirley Temple was a US ambassador. :sk

#7    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wow. Jealous,  much? Why not Caroline? Shirley Temple was a US ambassador.

"Jealous"
Me?
Of Caroline Kennedy (& her internal gonads)?!

Hardly.
I've heard of "penis envy".
I've never heard of "vagina envy" (or "ovary envy" for that matter).

I know little about CK.
But after hearing a brief comment from President Obama about the appointment, I gather it's an appointment made more in appreciation for her, than a logical selection for the office and its challenging requirements.

She may surprise us all.
But I don't expect much from her, if she ever ends up in the slot. (she's a quitter)

#8    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

No way a failed politician with limited edxperience should be representing us in that part of the world.
If Obama wanted to play quid pro quo with her he should have sent her to some carribean island as ambassador.
Leave the important areas to the people who can handle it.
I hear there is an opening in Benghazi......

#9    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

"Leave the important areas to the people who can handle it." CA
I agree.

Something about the appointment doesn't make sense to me.

Either Obama thinks more of CK than I do, or he thinks less of Japan than I do.

#10    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I totally agree.  She is a lawyer, but is she familiar with Japanese law?  I think it's a political payback thing because of who she is related to.

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,940 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Obama hasn't made a single good choice with regards to foreign affairs so why start now.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#12    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

"Obama hasn't made a single good choice with regards to foreign affairs ..." M1
Better than the guy he replaced.

The U.S. military invasion & occupation of Iraq was the single worst U.S. foreign policy decision in history.

#13    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,940 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postsear, on 06 April 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Better than the guy he replaced.

The U.S. military invasion & occupation of Iraq was the single worst U.S. foreign policy decision in history.
You might want to study up on your history before making a statement like that.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#14    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

"You might want to study up on your history before making a statement like that." M1
If you'll cite a worse one, I'll retract my observation.
You can't.
There isn't.
By quantifiable standard (you pick the units, $dollars, battle fatalities ...) the it's the worst.

The U.S. has made countless blunders over the centuries.
I know of none that's cost more; inflicted more injuries upon U.S. citizens (tens of thousands!), cost more in $U.S.*, and killed more U.S. troops than the U.S. military invasion and occupation of Iraq.
It is a War waged on false pretense. Even the Bush (younger) administration has admitted this. No WMD were found.

* Estimates on this vary.
Part of the problem in calculating it accurately is, the U.S. War in Iraq will be costing the U.S. tax payer for decades and decades to come.
Some of our returned (repatriated) military troops are severely handicapped, either quadriplegic, or comatose.
They'll need round-the-clock care for the rest of their lives. And sadly, there are lots, and lots, and lots of them.

#15    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

View Postsear, on 07 April 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

If you'll cite a worse one, I'll retract my observation.
You can't.
There isn't.
By quantifiable standard (you pick the units, $dollars, battle fatalities ...) the it's the worst.

The U.S. has made countless blunders over the centuries.
I know of none that's cost more; inflicted more injuries upon U.S. citizens (tens of thousands!), cost more in $U.S.*, and killed more U.S. troops than the U.S. military invasion and occupation of Iraq.
It is a War waged on false pretense. Even the Bush (younger) administration has admitted this. No WMD were found.

* Estimates on this vary.
Part of the problem in calculating it accurately is, the U.S. War in Iraq will be costing the U.S. tax payer for decades and decades to come.
Some of our returned (repatriated) military troops are severely handicapped, either quadriplegic, or comatose.
They'll need round-the-clock care for the rest of their lives. And sadly, there are lots, and lots, and lots of them.

Are you kidding me?  Google Vietnam and then get a real education.  I suggest basic economics from a non-liberal school not steeped in Marxism, real history and not some bizarre truncated version and then. well, some life experience since I get the feeling you are a man child.  BTW, Obama's presidential failures are far larger than his miserable record in foreign affairs.

Edited by Merc14, 07 April 2013 - 03:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users