Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why did ancient civilization build pyramids?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#76    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Nothing Stays The Same" -Thomas Blueprint

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

View Postcladking, on 09 April 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Both why and how haven't been passed down.

because most ancient civilizations were wiped out somehow so that information got loss

"Ignorance has no place in a debate" -Dr. Thomas Blueprint

#77    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,442 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

View Postcladking, on 08 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Of course it's to the point. At least close enough tothe point that we can say we probably
know how they moved giant statues many centuries after the pyramids were built on level
ground.

This tells us absolutely nothing at all about how or why great pyramids were built.

Shame, shame, cladking. Caught in the act again. You're forgetting the Dynasty 4 Giza tomb of Meresankh in which a large statue is shown being moved on a sledge. These statues would've weighed as much as the average pyramid stone.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#78    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,675 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 09 April 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Shame, shame, cladking. Caught in the act again. You're forgetting the Dynasty 4 Giza tomb of Meresankh in which a large statue is shown being moved on a sledge. These statues would've weighed as much as the average pyramid stone.

I've not forgotten it.

I maintain that the means to move a weight is not relevant to a means to move 2 1/2 million
of them all in the same place.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#79    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postcladking, on 09 April 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

I've not forgotten it.

I maintain that the means to move a weight is not relevant to a means to move 2 1/2 million
of them all in the same place.

Time
seems to be the answer to all our unsolved questions

#80    MR.Blueprint

MR.Blueprint

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

View Postcladking, on 08 April 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

What is so unremarkable about the pyramidal shape that we should dismiss a
6 1/2 million ton pile as existing because it was "buildable"?  Many shapes were probably "buil-
dable" but we mostly just have pyramids.

What is it about the shape that makes it the only thing that might be built?  It could be far easier
to dam a river with 6 1/2 million tons and far more profitable.

Pyramids exist but that doesn't mean they are tombs, temples, or hard to build.

We dont have mostly pyramids

i thought we only have 3 pyramids

they are jus the most famous

ancient civilization have numerous great structure

those triangle pyramids are an egypt thing

other structures are in other places

#81    desert palm tree

desert palm tree

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Bennu bird who fly to to its pyramid, climb " the height of holiness " in humility, is at valley or foot of pyramid and mountain.
     "Not to cut your hair. . . not to fight among themselves." is a sonic sound , a "still small voice " heard at Holy mount, but familiar to mankind with louder noise above man's ear nerves expressed in sickness and problems.

Edited by Abba mudda, 09 April 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#82    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

I remember from many years back, a suggestion that razor blades will stay sharper in a pyramid. If this is true, maybe the Egyptians were aware of this preserving effect, and that's why they used the pyramid shape for their tombs.

#83    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postacute, on 10 April 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

I remember from many years back, a suggestion that razor blades will stay sharper in a pyramid. If this is true, maybe the Egyptians were aware of this preserving effect, and that's why they used the pyramid shape for their tombs.
This "theory" came from newage people some years back, along with siting in replica pyramids playing with crystal balls and going Ommmmmmmm.....

#84    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 10 April 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

This "theory" came from newage people some years back, along with siting in replica pyramids playing with crystal balls and going Ommmmmmmm.....

You think you're joking?

A friend of mine went to Egypt a few years back with a tourist group. Half of them were "crystal people"—loony New Age types. Neither my friend nor her companions had any say in this, so they were stuck with the loonies the entire time. They actually assembled inside the King's Chamber of the Great Pyramid, and chanted.

One of my friend's companions chuckled out loud at this sight, which didn't sit well with the crystal people. One of them crossly said to my friend's companion: "You have offended the goddess!"

If you ask me, the New Age loonies should go in their own, private groups, if they go to Egypt at all.

Sheesh.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#85    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,408 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 April 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

You think you're joking?

A friend of mine went to Egypt a few years back with a tourist group. Half of them were "crystal people"—loony New Age types. Neither my friend nor her companions had any say in this, so they were stuck with the loonies the entire time. They actually assembled inside the King's Chamber of the Great Pyramid, and chanted.

One of my friend's companions chuckled out loud at this sight, which didn't sit well with the crystal people. One of them crossly said to my friend's companion: "You have offended the goddess!"

If you ask me, the New Age loonies should go in their own, private groups, if they go to Egypt at all.

Sheesh.

Someone should have asked "Which one?".  :w00t:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#86    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 10 April 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Someone should have asked "Which one?".  :w00t:

cormac

That's the funny thing. These loony crystal people really had no reasonable understanding whatsoever of the ancient civilization into which they were delving. This is typical of New Age types. They just wanted to stand around and chant while holding their crystals aloft, as they tried to commune with "the goddess."

Next thing you know, they'll try to hold human sacrifices and dump one or two of their acolytes into the sarcophagus.

Edited by kmt_sesh, 10 April 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#87    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,043 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 April 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

That's the funny thing. These loony crystal people really had no reasonable understanding whatsoever of the ancient civilization into which they were delving. This is typical of New Age types. They just wanted to stand around and chant while holding their crystals aloft, as they tried to commune with "the goddess."

Next thing you know, they'll try to hold human sacrifices and dump one or two of their acolytes into the sarcophagus.

I would totally volunteer for that trip boss :tsu:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#88    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,149 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

I thought that ancient peoples built pyramids because it is the most enduring way to build a large tall structure. Just as the people of Europe and the Mississippian culture built hills (pyramids?) of earth. Because it was strong and tall and fairly easy.

Later smaller pyramids were built in aethetic imitation of the larger pyramids.

Almost all pyramids that I can think of were temples or tombs. Or monuments. I can't think of a single pyramid that had a functional purpose, such as a grainary or a miltary fort.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#89    Dragonwind

Dragonwind

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 11 April 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Almost all pyramids that I can think of were temples or tombs. Or monuments. I can't think of a single pyramid that had a functional purpose, such as a grainary or a miltary fort.
That can still be a very functional direction in the same way massive monuments of today serve a functional value - whether it be economic, cultural or tourist. Think about the Eifell tower - it was built as a temporary structure for an expo. It's still stands today. Perhaps the first world expo was in ancient egypt :w00t: perhaps the pyramids were built to be temporary haha.

Many pyramids are not found to contain actual human remains, so perhaps they were symbolic tombs? That's a lot of effort to build a tomb with no body in it. If people had an aptitude in the past to build gigantic tombs for one leader why does it not continue into modern times? There are not many massive tombs built for important people on the same scale as egypt. We don't see vast tombs for medieval kings and queens. We don't carry out gigantic construction projects to burry contemporary world leaders. The great south american and asian pyramids were primarily temples. However we do honor leadership (politics) and culture in many gigantic expressions. For example Mt Rushmore, statue of liberty, parliamentary triangles, forbidden palace. Also the evolution of monotheism in the middle east after ancient egypt's legacy may have swung building design away from honoring a 'human king' or host of proto 'polytheist' gods towards temples that celebrated 'one god'.

The idea they are solely tombs (no pun intended) doesn't completely rest well with me. I sort of imagine ancient egypt to be like modern day Hong Kong, Dubai, New York etc - highly influenced by trade, wealth, culture, innovation and urbanism. Highly populated and rich. Perhaps their primary function was something more sublime - drama. Real estate drama. Spiritual drama. They are dramatic structures then and now. That creates wealth far beyond what a tomb can acheive. A reflection and expression of the resource rich Nile, it's strategic trade setting, religous ideals and population mass. In many structures today there is an emphasis on 'real estate value': Can a building be utilized profitably from tennants? Can a building attract tourists and attention (or followers/workers)? Is a building going to raise the value of surrounding property? Will it help stimulate economic growth? Whilst ancient egypt doesn't have the complex real estate dynamics of today it did have the basic properties of economic wealth, resource wealth and population wealth. That's something rarely talked about with the great pyramids - their relationship with wealth and population growth.

Today the construction industry is steam rolled by bankers and developers. Building designers and engineers mostly prepare documentation and create a structures aesthetic or integrity. But a buildings purpose almost always comes from the financial/political backer. Beneath the exterior of egyptian mythology, lrage blocks of stone, supernatural motifs and proto religion is basic politics and trade.

Edited by Dragonwind, 11 April 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#90    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

i don't claim to be any expert in this at all...i just find pyramids interesting...in their global presence if nothing else...

anyway....it's always appeared to me that of all manmade above earth structure the pyramid would survive longer than anything else and stand up the elements...including extreme winds...earthquakes....explosions...water...far better than any other....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users