Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Do movies influence UFO sightings ?


  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

    Site Webmaster

  • 20,036 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hollywood movies involving UFOs and aliens could have a direct effect on the number of real-life reports.

Yahoo! News said:

Roland Emmerich’s alien-invasion spectacular ‘Independence Day’ was 1996’s summer blockbuster and it sent the world extraterrestrial mad. “Newspapers even began running UFO campaigns,” says David, “and the figures leapt from 117 sightings in 1995 to 609 in 1996”

Posted Image Read more...



#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,423 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm sure they do but there have been sightings before movies about space invaders became popular.  Then again the more people you have the more reports there will be.


#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA Kentucky

  • There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I really truely think the movies do influence people minds. Look what Wells War of the Worlds did and it  was a radio show.


#4    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,293 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Just wanted to say that after I saw the 3-D iMax version of Prometheus last June I went home that night and had dreams about space.  I've always wanted to have dreams about living in space and I believe it was the overwhelming iMax and 3D experience that triggered it.  So based on that movie having enough effect on my mind to dream space I would guess that movies have enough effect on peoples wishes and imaginations while they are awake to mistake lights in the sky or outright hallucinate UFO's.


#5    MonkeyOrchid

MonkeyOrchid

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined:19 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Liverpool, England.

  • I see Candy's in my sleep !

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Wasn't Roswell a couple of weeks after Kenneth Arnold - i think it was - spotted the UFO's and the whole of America where looking to the skies looking for strange things.

I think that's when the term Flying Saucers was coined.


#6    HDesiato

HDesiato

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Joined:18 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

(Alien Abduction: The Birth Of Sci Fi)

I wish I could find the rest of this show. I found it about 4 years ago and still haven't seen it anywhere.


#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 10,632 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Not with my sightings.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#8    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Joined:27 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male

  • "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Movies in general have a way of embedding thoughts in your head.
Just like horror films. Go out and watch a family get slaughtered, come home, check every nook and cranny, barricade all entrances and sleep with the lights on.
But it's not the same for everyone.  Some people are more open minded to the thought of the things they see on screen actually being a realistic possibility.
And of course there are always going to be the close minded people, who will break down every little detail.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#9    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostHilander, on 03 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'm sure they do but there have been sightings before movies about space invaders became popular.  Then again the more people you have the more reports there will be.

How do they make more people?


#10    S2F

S2F

    Bloodstained Hurricane

  • Member
  • 6,631 posts
  • Joined:22 May 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Right behind you!

  • If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postscowl, on 03 April 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

How do they make more people?

Is a birds and the bees discussion in order here? :P

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave


#11    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 10,010 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 03 April 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

(Alien Abduction: The Birth Of Sci Fi)

I wish I could find the rest of this show. I found it about 4 years ago and still haven't seen it anywhere.

the last 30 secs of your vid sums it up rather nicely... (reposting your vid as a click-able)



Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

I remember when Close Encounters of the First Kind came out. The UFO craze was astounding. This just so coincides with the Roswell story being dug up. Nearly every 'real story' I have read on here was 'reborn' around this time. Odd that with all the modern technology we have at our disposal there is no real evidence available. (6 BILLION cell phone subscriptions, many with multi-mega pixel cameras for example).


#13    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 10,010 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostEsoteric Toad, on 03 April 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I remember when Close Encounters of the First Kind came out. The UFO craze was astounding. This just so coincides with the Roswell story being dug up. Nearly every 'real story' I have read on here was 'reborn' around this time. Odd that with all the modern technology we have at our disposal there is no real evidence available. (6 BILLION cell phone subscriptions, many with multi-mega pixel cameras for example).

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

So why will early reports say these craft interiors had levers?  We fly war drones now just from game console type handsets, with users thousands of miles away!! BUT that was all folk could comprehend in the world at that time - levers! So thats what they reported!   But levers in advanced UFO's? Get outta here!

Id expect any report to have said "incredible devices" were in use, "unspeakable", "indescribable", "unknowable tech"... ha, but nah....they had levers.  So yes by that alone I think it fair to say people dream up their abductions based on whats been seen in tv/media, versus what they can comprehend a craft should be like

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:31 spooner street

  • It Is What It Is.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

The Sad Part Is, That Movies(Including television)Influence Much More In Our Modern Day Culture Than They Should. Too Much Emphasis Is Placed On "Star Watching", And Trying To Emulate Them(T.V. And Movie Stars).

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#15    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

  • Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

So why will early reports say these craft interiors had levers?  We fly war drones now just from game console type handsets, with users thousands of miles away!! BUT that was all folk could comprehend in the world at that time - levers! So thats what they reported!   But levers in advanced UFO's? Get outta here!

Id expect any report to have said "incredible devices" were in use, "unspeakable", "indescribable", "unknowable tech"... ha, but nah....they had levers.  So yes by that alone I think it fair to say people dream up their abductions based on whats been seen in tv/media, versus what they can comprehend a craft should be like

There is that, even dials similar to pressure gauges! Hell even the shuttles went to all glass cockpits (got to sit in one whilst it was being converted, big mess but it gave you an idea of what privacy the astronauts DIDN'T have!). Also the aliens themselves have changed over time. I suppose those that believe will say we were being visited by different races but seeing, once again, there is zero real evidence to support even ONE species checking in on us that is even more ludicrous. It is my understanding that it is primarily an American thing as well. While we may believe ourselves special, that too is madness.

Life in the universe = almost certainly
Intelligent life = probably but who knows where and how common?
Intelligent life coming here to zip around, probe and use their 'blurry camera ray' = a close to nil as possible.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users