Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What Makes Rain Smell So Good?

rain smell

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,504 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Step outside after the first storm after a dry spell and it invariably hits you: the sweet, fresh, powerfully evocative smell of fresh rain.

If you’ve ever noticed this mysterious scent and wondered what’s responsible for it, you’re not alone.

http://blogs.smithso...n-smell-so-good

Posted Image

#2    Pssst

Pssst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

The rain in the arid climates smells the best to me.  It's cleansing the atmosphere of all that dust.  Love the earthly scent.

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. ;)

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,355 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I've never smelt anything nice after a rain. :unsure2:

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#5    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,838 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

I love this smell! I notice it most right before it rains, or while it's raining.  Yesterday was weird.  At one point when I was outside the sun was shining, fresh snow was blowing around and it was all combined with that really strong spring rain smell.  It was very windy so I think it was raining nearby or something, but it was a nice reminder that Spring is coming...

#6    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

On an episode of Doctor Who, the Tardis (in female form) said what the smell was but I forgot the name for it. It starts with a p I remember that much.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#7    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,838 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostRocketgirl, on 03 April 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

On an episode of Doctor Who, the Tardis (in female form) said what the smell was but I forgot the name for it. It starts with a p I remember that much.
Petrichor.

#8    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Petrichor.

That was it...thank you!!!

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,504 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

I love the smell too. I just wish we didn't get so much rain while other countries don't get enough.

Posted Image

#10    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

So, scientists have linked the smell of rain to that of the primal consumption of food. Not sure of the primal link, but it is interesting too, how clothes dried outside on a line, develop a nice smell.

#11    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Petrichor.  What a good name for it.  I love the smell of the woods after the rain, and the scent of garden dirt right afterward.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

I had just assumed that rain washed all the pollen, dust and pollutants out of the air for a time leaving the fresh scent of clean, pure air in their place. You can get used to just about any smell if not too overpowering, it's like if you have a dog or cat, you may not notice the odor even clean animals can impart to your home until you have been away from home for a week. So I figured that you get used to the smells of "dirty air" and then when it rains the scent of the air changed enough to be noticed.

#13    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

Acid rain smells good i guess. I would have loved to smell rian 300 years ago emmm

#14    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

It is obvious. Rain cleans the air temporarily. There are also more negative ions in the air after a rainstorm.

#15    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

It is obvious. Rain cleans the air temporarily. There are also more negative ions in the air after a rainstorm. at 27vet what you said is true but also yeah i agree that rain does make the oils of the plants come out as well.so in reality there is more than one answer.either way i used to live in Oregon it rain often and it did smell good the air fresher and cleaner and more pure.

Also tagged with rain, smell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users