Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gigantic Spider in Sri Lanka

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Lars Ulrich has probably tried to sue the blue one for copyright infrigement? ;)

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#47    slaughtr

slaughtr

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

• I Doubt Nothing!!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I hate spiders they terrify me and after living in the south pacific I've seen some of the illest spiders to man.

#48    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 08 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Spider man, help!  Please take a looksy at my post and help me identify a spider that jumped on me in the middle of the night!  

http://www.unexplain...=0#entry4727505

Also, what are those pokey things on it's butt?

Thank you!

I just want to make sure I did not get bit by a brown recluse so I can get some sleep

That is NOT a brown recluse! Species of Brown Recluse are often identified by the patterns of its leg sizes. I am not sure what it is but it is a completely harmless species.

Those pokey things are called the spinnerets. That is where the silk for their webs are spun from.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#49    quasar_kid

quasar_kid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm from Belgium, we only have common house spiders, some of which can grow to a size I've never seen, so I'm thinking certain species are crossbredding with each other due to the climate changes all over the world. We're now experiencing a weird spring. It's still 4 °C outside while it should be inbetween 14 °C - 25 °C. I think once the warm weather continuously begins, we'll be flooded with spiders. Either that, or most native spiders have not survived the long winter or they have emigrated too far.

#50    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostSundew, on 05 April 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

The difference is that Orcas are highly intelligent and get bored rather easily in confinement, and they are if you'll pardon the expression, "natural born killers" of large mammals. If you put one of these spiders in a say, a 100 gallon tank with plants, branches, hiding places, a bit of sand or soil, water, a heat lamp on one end and feed it regularly with a variety of insects, it would probably be quite content. It'd not like it requires a great deal of intellectual stimulation, it is pretty much driven by instinct. Really it's little different than tropical fish in an aquarium, or a leopard gecko in a terrarium. And like many tropical fish, they can be bred in captivity so if you buy from a breeder you are not taking them out of the wild.

That said I've never had any interest in keeping spiders, but I do think the little jumping spiders are neat.

Who in god's green earth puts a pet spider in a 100 gallon tank? Most tanks I've seen that people keep spiders in are very, very small. I really don't think anybody can say what intellectual stimulation a spider does or doesn't need. Just because a spider doesn't display the same intelligence or behaviours as a human, it doesn't mean it's not an intelligent creature in its own right. As a matter of fact, some spiders have been shown to be very intelligent. Human intelligence is not the be all and end all nor is it as good as it gets. Mankind is pretty darn stupid on the whole. Just look at the state of the planet.

I also highly doubt that they are just driven by "instinct". That word comes up a lot with pretty much every wild animal when it comes to some people and it's just a cop out to make ourselves feel more superior, like we're special in some way. We may not be able to relate to them directly but all animals share the basics... thoughts, feelings and even personalities. People who've had spiders as pets and interact with them enough will tell you that. You can have two spiders of the same species, bring them up in the same conditions; one may be naturally aggressive and the other may be naturally docile. That is not instinct, that's personality. I wish people would let go of the idea that we're the most intelligent beings on this planet and that only we can experience emotions and feelings and that a spider and/or other animals are somehow inferior life forms. There's probably more spiders in the world than there are humans and they're sure not selfishly screwing up the planet more and more day by day, nor going out of their way to conspire against and destroy each other.

Even if you buy from a breeder, I still think it's highly unfair to deny the animal the right it should have had at birth and thats to live its life in the natural world, or as close to it as possible, and that's sure not a small tank in somebody's bedroom. There's an awful lot you can't give a pet spider in captivity that it'd get in the wild and that's what I find sad. While it may be content enough with life in the tank (though I do doubt this), and even though it isn't aware of what it's missing so to speak because it doesn't know any better, it still should be entitled to life in the wild. It's a living creature for heaven's sake, we shouldn't deny it its natural life and imprison it just so... well, whatever reasons people want a pet spider. To be "cool" I guess.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 10 April 2013 - 04:35 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users