Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Discovering Inferior Life Forms

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

We always see superior extraterrestrials in pop culture. They're years ahead of us in science and technology, and we look like Dark Age or Stone Age people in comparison. What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)? What would the interaction between us be like?

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#2    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I'm not sure really. Part of me says leave them alone to advance themselves and write their own history, especially if they were VERY behind but (assuming they weren't nasty critters) we could always share technology and help advance them if they weren't too far behind. That'd be nice of mankind, wouldn't it? Would almost make you proud we, as a race, did something good for a change. Plus, even if we considered them "behind", it's a whole different world, they're bound to have discoveries, inventions etc that we don't have.

I'd find it really cool if we discovered a race just about technologically advanced as us, though; not too ahead and not too behind. A sister world, that'd be fab.

Edited by The Skater Boy, 04 April 2013 - 04:47 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

Doubting that us 'modern humans' have the right to class any one or any thing as 'inferior'.

#4    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,578 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Detective Mystery 2013 said:

What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)?

I guess people nowadays think 1950 is the distant past. That's when I was a kid, so what does that make me? An inferior species I guess lol.

I think we should just leave them alone. I'm wondering how our civilization would have evolved to today if a technologically superior species had landed on earth in the middle ages. Would they have helped us or made us slaves?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 04 April 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

I guess people nowadays think 1950 is the distant past. That's when I was a kid, so what does that make me? An inferior species I guess lol.

As an elder gent, SMK would you say that the younger generation are morally bankrupt?  My mother's generation (born in the 30's) seem to think so but I'm suspicious that maybe our elders have thought that way, since time immemorial.

#6    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,753 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I think

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 04 April 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

We always see superior extraterrestrials in pop culture. They're years ahead of us in science and technology, and we look like Dark Age or Stone Age people in comparison. What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)? What would the interaction between us be like?
I think that you should watch the full Stargate series! :yes: Has a lot of that...

Posted Image

#7    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,498 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 04 April 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

I think we should just leave them alone. I'm wondering how our civilization would have evolved to today if a technologically superior species had landed on earth in the middle ages. Would they have helped us or made us slaves?
From what i can make out, they'd have put up a few Walls, and maybe built a few pyramids, and then wandered off again leaving no one any the wiser ...

I think maybe that would be what we ought to do. Leave them with something to wonder about, and it might give them material for a few hundred pages discussion on Internet discussion forums when they get around to devloping them!

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,498 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostEldorado, on 04 April 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

As an elder gent, SMK would you say that the younger generation are morally bankrupt?  My mother's generation (born in the 30's) seem to think so but I'm suspicious that maybe our elders have thought that way, since time immemorial.
Well, going off on a philosophical tangent, which generations was it that were responsible for the first World War, or for bringing all those lovely dictators that so brightened up the world in the 30s to power, or Pol Pot? The Younger Generation tends to be rather more skeptical about the promises of Politicians and would-be leaders of all kinds, and if you want to look at mroal bankruptcy surely that's here you ought to look.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't wish this curse of "normal" to any other race let alone species.

It's one of those quests that you can't really say yay or neigh without knowing who is doing it. We have a long time before earth can be big kids and share our tonka trucks and abandon the factory lines.

Oldies, I wouldn't be too fast to bash the young. You worked retail lately? my god it doesn't matter what variable about a person is different 75% of people don't deserve to breath air with their attitude towards the outer world.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,454 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

when we do - what we need to do is build a few puramids, give them an understanding of a random extra-system star system and then periodically graffiti their cereal crops. Apparently it's what we're meant to do.

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 04 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Well, going off on a philosophical tangent, which generations was it that were responsible for the first World War, or for bringing all those lovely dictators that so brightened up the world in the 30s to power, or Pol Pot? The Younger Generation tends to be rather more skeptical about the promises of Politicians and would-be leaders of all kinds, and if you want to look at mroal bankruptcy surely that's here you ought to look.

I never asked you!  (lol)

#12    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 04 April 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

I'm not sure really. Part of me says leave them alone to advance themselves and write their own history, especially if they were VERY behind but (assuming they weren't nasty critters) we could always share technology and help advance them if they weren't too far behind. That'd be nice of mankind, wouldn't it? Would almost make you proud we, as a race, did something good for a change. Plus, even if we considered them "behind", it's a whole different world, they're bound to have discoveries, inventions etc that we don't have.

I'd find it really cool if we discovered a race just about technologically advanced as us, though; not too ahead and not too behind. A sister world, that'd be fab.
That makes a good deal of sense. It could also explain why there isn't an overt extraterrestrial presence on this planet already. When we progress somewhat, socially, probably at least partly due to covert ET influence, we may be openly contacted.
I'd think that any sharing of technology would have to be very carefully managed, to prevent us doing harm with anything they'd given us.
It seems possible that the contacting ET culture wouldn't be too far technically and socially advanced beyond ourselves. We'd have the most in common with such beings, and probably interest them more than we would a race that was billions of years our senior.

#13    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 04 April 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)

Canada?

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#14    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 04 April 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Canada?

You might catch a bit of flak from the resident Canadians around here but that was damn funny! :w00t:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#15    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,578 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Eldorado said:

It seems to be true that all generations consider their youngers to be worthless. I was lucky to be young in the late'60's and '70's during the revolution. All the social protests and the new music was invigorating. Since then everything has settled down to blandness, which is pretty boring.

At least in the 1950's we had the Cold War. That was interesting. Of course now we have a little excitement socially, but I think a generation is formed by the times in which they live.

I'm mainly interested in music, and the so-called music of the last 30 or 20 years or so has been mostly awful. This has a detrimental moral effect on people who must listen to it. Anyone who likes the music of today must be morally bankrupt, or else why would they enjoy listening to it?

This may sound harsh, but as a Stone Age person of the distant past, I feel I have earned the right to say what like and not have to give a damn of what others think of my spoken truths.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users