Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Discovering Inferior Life Forms

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,016 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 04 April 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

We always see superior extraterrestrials in pop culture. They're years ahead of us in science and technology, and we look like Dark Age or Stone Age people in comparison. What if we went to a planet in the future, and its population was comprised of humans who were like people from our distant past (any time from prehistory to 1950)? What would the interaction between us be like?

We had the ability to travel to the strs back in the late 50's/early 60's. It is recognised that the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty ended the Orion Project - LINK- as it used nuclear propulsion, and there were fears of fallout heading back to earth. Had it gone ahead, we might possibly be approaching Alpha Centauri soon. Who knows, the motto was "Saturn by 1970". I often wonder if other species went down this path and decided to try it. And indeed, why do we never, ever see or hear of Aliens at this level of development? Why are saucers only stealthy little sports models with cloaking devices? Why no loud ugly clunky polluting spaceships?
It might be nice to have some retro aliens for a change, but then again, aliens with lesser technology are going to be a whole deal harder to explain. So much easier when one can simply ascribe the unknown to a higher power.

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#32    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,519 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 05 April 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

It never ceases to amuse me how so many people instantly assume that an alien species visiting us must have a mentality similar to our own. It's like asking a person to speculate what an alien might be like, and the first thing they do is hold up a mirror and look at their own reflection.

It goes without saying that they would recognize us as a species which has made technological advances. But what most people don't stop to consider is that our notions of morality, social structure, philosophy, and just our general outlook on life may be totally -- if you'll pardon the expression -- alien to them.

Until they do finally show up, we'll just go on imagining them as characters in Star Trek or Star Wars or some other "human" interpretation of an alien species. :yes:
I very much agree. People often (for instance) argue that they (the ETs) would consider it "rude" to be "spied upon" by probes, and that there's some Universal Right to Privacy (presumably decided by the United Federation of Planets). Well, if that isn't anthropromorphism, I don't know what is.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#33    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 April 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Damn straight, just look at the trouble we have communicating across seas! Has anyone here done the old translate to Chinese and back to english with Google?

Eg.

I want steak for tea.

我想牛排茶。

I want steak tea

Sadly, many American high school students speak/write the same kind of gobbledygook. Evidently, some schools no longer teach English.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#34    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 April 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

We had the ability to travel to the strs back in the late 50's/early 60's. It is recognised that the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty ended the Orion Project - LINK- as it used nuclear propulsion, and there were fears of fallout heading back to earth. Had it gone ahead, we might possibly be approaching Alpha Centauri soon. Who knows, the motto was "Saturn by 1970". I often wonder if other species went down this path and decided to try it. And indeed, why do we never, ever see or hear of Aliens at this level of development? Why are saucers only stealthy little sports models with cloaking devices? Why no loud ugly clunky polluting spaceships?
It might be nice to have some retro aliens for a change, but then again, aliens with lesser technology are going to be a whole deal harder to explain. So much easier when one can simply ascribe the unknown to a higher power.

Posted Image

You could start a whole new thread just about secret space programs! Orion would be a good start. From what I read, there are varied beings and craft that visit our planet. Of course, many of these claims are complete nonsense. Let's pretend that all of them are true. It stands to reason that there would be a few ET versions of rednecks in pickups, rubbernecking at the messes on our planet. Other groups might be ET versions of the Peace Corps or Red Cross. That would account for the wide variety of claimed events (in our pretend scenario).

#35    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,016 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

I very much agree. People often (for instance) argue that they (the ETs) would consider it "rude" to be "spied upon" by probes, and that there's some Universal Right to Privacy (presumably decided by the United Federation of Planets). Well, if that isn't anthropromorphism, I don't know what is.

Then you do not know what anthropomorphism is. Privacy is a territorial trait that assists one in attaining the position of top predator. A Lion is not anthropomorphic, but it will tear you to pieces if you wander into it's territory. Nobody likes to be spied upon.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#36    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,016 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 07 April 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

You could start a whole new thread just about secret space programs! Orion would be a good start. From what I read, there are varied beings and craft that visit our planet. Of course, many of these claims are complete nonsense. Let's pretend that all of them are true. It stands to reason that there would be a few ET versions of rednecks in pickups, rubbernecking at the messes on our planet. Other groups might be ET versions of the Peace Corps or Red Cross. That would account for the wide variety of claimed events (in our pretend scenario).

Orion was never secret though, just the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty halted it's progress. If there were so many species, it is hard to see them all adhering to one Star Trek style non contact law. I see no reason to think Aliens would not be as individual as we are.

#37    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,519 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 08 April 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Then you do not know what anthropomorphism is. Privacy is a territorial trait that assists one in attaining the position of top predator. A Lion is not anthropomorphic, but it will tear you to pieces if you wander into it's territory. Nobody likes to be spied upon.
I do find it interesting that someone who's so firmly against Sci Fi Speculation and Fantasy seems so worried that "spying" on the Aliens will provoke them to send an Interstellar Battlefleet to wipe us out of existence for having the teemrity to spy on them. But yet that is not anthropomorphism.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#38    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,016 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 08 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I do find it interesting that someone who's so firmly against Sci Fi Speculation and Fantasy seems so worried that "spying" on the Aliens will provoke them to send an Interstellar Battlefleet to wipe us out of existence for having the teemrity to spy on them. But yet that is not anthropomorphism.

No it is not. If you land on a planet of Lions, they will eat you. Lions are not anthropomorphic.

What it has great potential for is to begin a situation without trust. That is also not an anthropomorphic trait, trust is developed across the entire animal kingdom.

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Are lions felinomorphic?

#40    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,016 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 April 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Are lions felinomorphic?

:w00t: :lol: :tu:

Ya know, I'm gonna just say yes.

:D

#41    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,717 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

Wow that pretty much puts the nail in my Tin foil hat and birthday suit in the heap ! :tu:
Good one psyche101 ! And p.s. Im never going back to that C.T thread On Sandy Hook ! Its just sick !

This is a Work in Progress!

#42    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 08 April 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Orion was never secret though, just the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty halted it's progress. If there were so many species, it is hard to see them all adhering to one Star Trek style non contact law. I see no reason to think Aliens would not be as individual as we are.

It makes one wonder about the secret projects. It brings to mind the huge mystery satellite of the past. Both Americans and Russians claimed that it wasn't one of their craft, which was strange because there was a heated competition between the two sides when it came to outer space. The mysterious object circled the planet before Sputnik was launched.

I agree with your take on extraterrestrials. They probably would exhibit individual attitudes and personalities. That likely would be true for ETs of the same species. Some of them would be rogues, giving a bad reputation to all of them.

#43    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 09 April 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

It makes one wonder about the secret projects. It brings to mind the huge mystery satellite of the past. Both Americans and Russians claimed that it wasn't one of their craft, which was strange because there was a heated competition between the two sides when it came to outer space. The mysterious object circled the planet before Sputnik was launched.

Here is a thread about it.... http://www.alienscie...id-it-come-from

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#44    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostDBunker, on 09 April 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Here is a thread about it.... http://www.alienscie...id-it-come-from

Thank you very much! I could *not* remember that it was called the Black Knight satellite. My guess is that it was a black project from the Americans or the Russians. Still, it's one of the best accounts that gets lost in the shadow of never-ending stories, like Roswell.

#45    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 09 April 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Thank you very much! I could *not* remember that it was called the Black Knight satellite. My guess is that it was a black project from the Americans or the Russians. Still, it's one of the best accounts that gets lost in the shadow of never-ending stories, like Roswell.

I believe we did a number on it in one of the Best Evidence threads? Cant really remember what came out of it?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users