Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Healthy guide dog killed & buried with owner

shelia stadler guide dog toffee terre haute

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,425 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostTyminator, on 05 April 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

I'm not saying that what she did was right, but if it was this lady's dying wish, she should be able to have it carried out without crazed animal rights activists breathing down her neck. It's not like she was asking to have her son killed. We're talking about an animal here. This post might stir up a hornet's best, but I mean seriously. Let the lady be...

At the very least it is wasteful and idiotic.  Wouldn't her dying wish have been better served to pass that guide dog onto someone that could have used it?

I don't have the view that animals are in anyway equated to people, but even for a dying request it is ridiculous.  Why not at least let the dog live out it's life, then have it buried beside her?  Wouldn't that have made more sense?

Edited by supervike, 08 April 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#17    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,425 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostTyminator, on 05 April 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Like I said, I don't think what was done was right, but I'm just saying that this situation seemed to get a little out of hand. The death threats her family received were most definitely out of line in my opinion. So I guess that's what I meant when I said it was JUST an animal. The family's safety shouldn't be at risk because of their decision to comply with her wishes.

Yeah, I agree, death threats are seriously out of line.  I agree with your point there.

#18    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

:td:

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#19    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

They shouldn't have allowed this to happen, at the very least because it costs a lot of money to train guide dogs and it could have helped another person.

Not to mention, poor doggie. Such a waste of life for such a selfish reason.

Posted Image

#20    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

This is the problem with our (English & Commonwealth) legal system. "Things" are either persons or property, that's the only two choices. So since a dog is not a person, it is property to be disposed of as one wishes, as long as it is done humanely.

#21    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm not sure you can get more selfish than that.
I'm just thankful she didn't own a farm.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#22    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I'm not saying that what she did was right, but if it was this lady's dying wish, she should be able to have it carried out without crazed animal rights activists breathing down her neck. It's not like she was asking to have her son killed. We're talking about an animal here. This post might stir up a hornet's best, but I mean seriously. Let the lady be...

Not the brightest shining example of humanity right there.

Any vet that puts a healthy animal down is in the wrong business and should have their license removed. I was a vet nurse and no vet I ever worked with would put a healthy animal down, whatever reason was stated.

Selfish woman, immoral family.

Edited by The Skater Boy, 09 April 2013 - 12:02 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#23    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostQueen in the North, on 08 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

They shouldn't have allowed this to happen, at the very least because it costs a lot of money to train guide dogs and it could have helped another person.

Yes,it definitely takes money and months of training for a seeing eye dog.    This was a bad idea

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#24    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,515 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

I fail to understand how having a dead dog buried next to your dead body accomplishes anything.
How does killing a healthy animal then having it buried next to you show love? It is purely self serving...it's selfish...not all dying wishes should be granted especially when it entails killing.

If she really wanted to prove something and preserve a favorable memory of herself then why not give the dog to a child whose family is too poor to afford a service dog? Wouldn't that convey something more altruistic?

#25    RavenEyes19

RavenEyes19

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

What a disgusting selfish woman. Think about how much time and energy went into training that dog and it could've helped someone else. My aunt is disabled and she's been waiting for a service dog for awhile. What kind of vet puts down a young healthy dog?
I don't know if I should be surprised though that this happened in my backwards state.

#26    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,294 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

I loved my dog, she was my best friend and best friends don't do that to each other.  That was selfish of that woman to ask that the dog be killed and buried with her.  It was worse of them people to carry it out.  Some promises shouldn't be kept.

#27    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

From reading the title I thought the dog got eaten...

Edited by SUPERSquatch, 09 April 2013 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

#28    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,294 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostTyminator, on 05 April 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Like I said, I don't think what was done was right, but I'm just saying that this situation seemed to get a little out of hand. The death threats her family received were most definitely out of line in my opinion. So I guess that's what I meant when I said it was JUST an animal. The family's safety shouldn't be at risk because of their decision to comply with her wishes.
No death threats aren't called for but I think a fine is.

#29    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,425 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 08 April 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Not the brightest shining example of humanity right there.

Any vet that puts a healthy animal down is in the wrong business and should have their license removed. I was a vet nurse and no vet I ever worked with would put a healthy animal down, whatever reason was stated.

Selfish woman, immoral family.

Pet shelters unfortunately have to put healthy animals down all the time.  It's just a matter of cost and logistics.  So I'm assuming there are folks out there doing this sort of thing for a real reason.

This lady's reason was slightly selfish.  I think I can understand how she loved her companion.  I think the real culprit here is most certainly the abiding family.

#30    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

View Postsupervike, on 09 April 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Pet shelters unfortunately have to put healthy animals down all the time.  It's just a matter of cost and logistics.  So I'm assuming there are folks out there doing this sort of thing for a real reason.

This lady's reason was slightly selfish.  I think I can understand how she loved her companion.  I think the real culprit here is most certainly the abiding family.

Oh I know that and that's pretty disgusting too but it's a whole other can of worms.

A good 99% of vets, well the ones that work in an actual veterinary clinic - which chances are is where the dog was taken to - would refuse to put a healthy animal down, period. Some will even take the animal in themselves and try to rehome it which is much fairer to the animal.

Euthanasia can be justified in cases of sickness, illness and whatnot where the animal is suffering. Much like you can make the decision to "pull the plug" on a family member should the circumstances warrant it, but the dog was fit and healthy. It's was a living creature with thoughts, feelings and its own mind and deserved to continue its life. It really sickens me that some people actually think this was okay just because its an animal. Newsflash: we're all just animals and we're no special from anything else. If you think an animal (especially one of intelligence like a dog) doesn't have thoughts, feelings, and everything that we have, you're one unfortunate soul.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users