Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Patients & staff should be banned from smokin

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

A designated smoking area would solve this issue.

#17    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,097 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 07 April 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

A designated smoking area would solve this issue.

Amen.

But since that’s not enough for some, it’s clearly not about health anymore, it’s a witch hunt.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#18    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 April 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Amen.

But since that’s not enough for some, it’s clearly not about health anymore, it’s a witch hunt.

I'm a smoker Helen. Somehow, when I'm in hospital I kind of manage without a ciggy, only because I would feel embarrassed standing at the door puffing away on a cigarette. Having said that, it really is hard for people to be in hospital, as it's a really stressful experience and not being able to smoke is doubly hard. A designated area for smokers is the best solution. Loads of the doctors and nurses smoke... I know this because my daughter is just about to qualify as a nurse and she say's it's so funny to hear them lecture the patients and then see them sneak off for a ciggy :w00t:

Edited by Star of the Sea, 07 April 2013 - 08:20 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#19    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Second-hand air fresheners make me barf in my boat. Second-hand exhaust fumes nurture my future cancer, but hey, you need your car so it’s all right I drop dead because of what you want and choose to ignore its dangers.  

I noticed you don’t give a rat turd about others. It’s only what you like or don’t like. What you choose to insist on and what you choose to ignore. Very convenient. I'd ban such conveniences by law.

How nice of you. Just like a smoker choosing not to smoke when non-smokers drop by.
And that is not enough - according to you.
Not enough. You have to be stopped by the law from spreading carcinogens of your choice. Your carcinogenic chemicals escape from your private property, giving cancer to anyone who lives near you.
Just because you choose to ignore your carcinogens are carcinogen it doesn’t make them less dangerous.
So I’d call your neighbourhood situation even, with notable exception that your neighbours probably don’t post about aggressive smells from your place, because media hasn’t put people’s minds into crusade against that particular set of carcinogens mode.

It’s not only acceptable but it’s also fashionable to take your frustrations out on smokers, and I’m growing slightly tired of that.

And little something Lava Lady didn’t touch but I want to cover too:
The medical expenses of my future cancer were paid entirely by all the cigarettes I bought so far. (Larger part of price of tobacco goes directly into state budget over here.) I am actually by smoking from now on covering some cheap non-smokers expenses, because NEWSFLASH non-smokers get cancer too.
And then everyone says in consternation: “But, but uncle Joe... he never smoked! He was such a nice man, working in asbestos factory and then in the garage apart from that time he spent in nuclear plant. How on earth he, of all people, got cancer?!”
I really wouldn’t know.

Don't explain why you smoke, smoke if you want to smoke. Your choice.

All I'm saying is, I don't want to be forced to breathe it in which is what happens when my neighbor smokes.  That is what p***es me off, it is a valid complaint and you're angry because you're a smoker.

How do you know what my car gives off?  I could be driving a prius for all you know.

Why should I care if someone chooses to smoke?   According to smokers like you all air breathers do is complain.  So, of I was to actually give a turd and express my concern, I'm sure I would be assaulted or at least get a stern and sarcastic lecture about how smokers have a right to smoke, and all the good stuff you must posted to me.

So, smoke till your hearts content.  Just don't force me to smoke with you.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#20    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 07 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Second-hand air fresheners make me barf in my boat. Second-hand exhaust fumes nurture my future cancer, but hey, you need your car so it’s all right I drop dead because of what you want and choose to ignore its dangers.  

I noticed you don’t give a rat turd about others. It’s only what you like or don’t like. What you choose to insist on and what you choose to ignore. Very convenient. I'd ban such conveniences by law.

How nice of you. Just like a smoker choosing not to smoke when non-smokers drop by.
And that is not enough - according to you.
Not enough. You have to be stopped by the law from spreading carcinogens of your choice. Your carcinogenic chemicals escape from your private property, giving cancer to anyone who lives near you.
Just because you choose to ignore your carcinogens are carcinogen it doesn’t make them less dangerous.
So I’d call your neighbourhood situation even, with notable exception that your neighbours probably don’t post about aggressive smells from your place, because media hasn’t put people’s minds into crusade against that particular set of carcinogens mode.

It’s not only acceptable but it’s also fashionable to take your frustrations out on smokers, and I’m growing slightly tired of that.

And little something Lava Lady didn’t touch but I want to cover too:
The medical expenses of my future cancer were paid entirely by all the cigarettes I bought so far. (Larger part of price of tobacco goes directly into state budget over here.) I am actually by smoking from now on covering some cheap non-smokers expenses, because NEWSFLASH non-smokers get cancer too.
And then everyone says in consternation: “But, but uncle Joe... he never smoked! He was such a nice man, working in asbestos factory and then in the garage apart from that time he spent in nuclear plant. How on earth he, of all people, got cancer?!”
I really wouldn’t know.

I'm sorry, forgot to ask, what am I choosing to ignore?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#21    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,097 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 07 April 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I'm a smoker Helen. Somehow, when I'm in hospital I kind of manage without a ciggy, only because I would feel embarrassed standing at the door puffing away on a cigarette. Having said that, it really is hard for people to be in hospital, as it's a really stressful experience and not being able to smoke is doubly hard. A designated area for smokers is the best solution. Loads of the doctors and nurses smoke... I know this because my daughter is just about to qualify as a nurse and she say's it's so funny to hear them lecture the patients and then see them sneak off for a ciggy :w00t:

Of all doctors that I personally know only one is not a smoker and even she used to smoke when she was younger. It could be something linked with stressful profession. No matter how emotionally detached medical professionals have to be, they are constantly in touch with people with serious problems. And occasional hypochondriac, but they can drain you away more efficiently than physically ill people :D
There’s certain comfort in the little ritual that smoking is. For me personally. It’s not about nicotine, I’d be happy with chamomile rolled in toilet paper, it’s about routine moves and symbolic burning and puffing away the frustration. When hiking, I forget to smoke.

When working... it saves my mind to scurry away for a very quick smoke. We go out the back door and smoke behind the building, like we used to smoke behind school building when we were high school kids :lol: I wonder if teachers today hide in the same spot with smoking pupils or they divided the territory :lol:
So with this irrational fear of smokers we still have equal number of smokers only they are disappearing to various nooks and crannies. I guess it pleases the control freaking minds that invent bizarre no-smoking rules in cities choked with any imaginable pollution.

@ Lava Lady, be so kind to re-read my previous posts. The answers to all of your questions are there and I’m sure they’ve been elaborated in simple and straightforward manner.
I am, however, opened to constructive discussion. Meaning it should not be overly repetitive.  

This world is not ideal and never will be. It’s bizarre, in my opinion, to try to make it better by cornering and shaming smokers like they are committing a crime.

Corner and shame the geniuses who scatter depleted uranium on populations who then have skyrocketing cancer incidence. Geniuses who force farmers to literally kill the soil with poisons we also eat on daily basis and drink in our water. Oh, but that’s not convenient. Let's blame it all on tobacco. Salt. Sugar. White flour. Lard... and now I have to light one up :D

Posted Image

#22    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Corner and shame the government beaurocracy that tells people where and when they can and cannot smoke, yet subsidizes tobacco growers to produce a product that is increasingly addictive so the government can tax the people who are addicted to that product to a greater degree.

I used to smoke.  Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did.  I hated being told I had to stay 50 yards from hospitals and schools.  I still don't like blaming a person who is addicted to something for the damage the product does, but if your smoke causes a hospital patient with a lung disorder to choke and be more ill, you have to say okay and just walk away.

Edited by moonshadow60, 08 April 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#23    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,097 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 08 April 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Corner and shame the government beaurocracy that tells people where and when they can and cannot smoke, yet subsidizes tobacco growers to produce a product that is increasingly addictive so the government can tax the people who are addicted to that product to a greater degree.

I used to smoke.  Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did.  I hated being told I had to stay 50 yards from hospitals and schools.  I still don't like blaming a person who is addicted to something for the damage the product does, but if your smoke causes a hospital patient with a lung disorder to choke and be more ill, you have to say okay and just walk away.

It’s the common sense, or should be, of course no one sane would smoke in intensive care.
But if seriously ill people wish to smoke, I wouldn’t stop them. What’s the point of forcing abstinence on – for example – 80 years old, 65 years smoker. Like my father in law. He smoked to the end and I’d hit someone if they tried to stop him.
Younger and curable, by all means, quitting smoking can only help them.

It’s silly, stinky, expensive, very unhealthy habit and I was complete impressionable too young moron when I started smoking, to be honest.
Now I’m old moron that should quit, if for no other reason then to spite government by not paying them ridiculously huge tobacco tax anymore :yes:

Posted Image

#24    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

When I was a kid, doctors smoked on TV shows.  Heck, almost everyone did.  I hear you.  It was in our culture back then.  People were told it was good for them at one point to smoke cigarettes.  Now that we know better, OMG.  It is so hard to quit.  I did it, but in order to do that I was hooked on Nicorette for a year.

#25    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,390 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 06 April 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

I think people have the right to smoke cigarettes but not at the cost of someone elses health and comfort.

I agree 1000%, and I'm a smoker(though I wish I could quit.)

Anyway, what I do to my own body, in privacy, without affecting other's is strictly my business.

But when it adversely affects other's, it becomes their business as well.

#26    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,097 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

When I was a kid, doctors smoked on TV shows.  Heck, almost everyone did.  I hear you.  It was in our culture back then.  People were told it was good for them at one point to smoke cigarettes.  Now that we know better, OMG.  It is so hard to quit.  I did it, but in order to do that I was hooked on Nicorette for a year.

Moderate smoking is good against flu, running nose, pneumonia and tuberculosis, my grandma used to believe, because it kills all those nasty germs :lol:
She used to smoke back in WWII times and then she quitted for religious reasons. I kid you not. She vowed to stop smoking if they get out certain hairy situation alive. It’s established custom over here, you sacrifice something in exchange for divine help.
It was hard, she remembers, and they had no patches or chewing gums, so she’d take a bite of apple each time she felt the need to smoke. And it works, apple suppresses desire for cigarette and if you do light up after having an apple, it's supposed to taste awful. To normal human beings, I’m able to eat apples and smoke at the same time.

Posted Image

#27    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I remember that when I smoked it was oranges that tasted nasty after a cigarette, lol.  I did quit for once and for all that second time, so anyone can do it.  You can't be forced into it; it has to be something you want more than you want that next cigarette and it's different with each and every one of us.

Edited by moonshadow60, 08 April 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#28    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,390 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostSakari, on 06 April 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

It is their property......They can not tell people not to smoke anywhere else though. ( no smoking allowed at all )

Right, they may own the property, but in the US(not sure about UK or elsewhere), property is NOT considered "wholly private" if there is clear invitation of "general public access", such as with hospitals, clinics, etc.. (Excluding fully private hospitals, clinics, member-only golf clubs, etc..)

Rather, it's considered "private with public access"

As such, the rules regarding smoking are very much legally different for public versus private property(again at least in the US)

I was going somewhere with this, now I forgot.  :w00t:

Edited by pallidin, 08 April 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#29    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,858 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Just out of interest.. has anyone tried the E-cigs? I have and for me they were foul tasting and cost me a fortune 2 years ago. They have come down in price now and I may try them again with a different flavour. I have tried just about everything but always slip back even herbal ciggies (yuk). :(  My hubby wants me to try hypnosis but I am not sure whether to try it or not?

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#30    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have no idea where you were going with that, Pallidin, but liked it anyway.  :yes:

My sister-in-law quit by using hypnosis.  I quit by using the Nicorette gum.  My sister quit cold turkey. A friend and her husband have finally quit using E-cigarettes.  The point is to really want to quit, not try because someone else wants you to.  If you don't put your whole heart into escaping from the habit, the nicotine will draw you back in again.

Edited by moonshadow60, 08 April 2013 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users