Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Research sheds light on ancient Egyptian port

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,954 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Research sheds light on ancient Egyptian port and ship graveyard

New research into Thonis-Heracleion, a sunken port-city that served as the gateway to Egypt in the first millennium BC, was examined at a recent international conference at the University of Oxford. The port city, situated 6.5 kilometres off today’s coastline, was one of the biggest commercial hubs in the Mediterranean before the founding of Alexandria.

http://www.pasthoriz...-ship-graveyard

*Snip*

Edited by Still Waters, 06 April 2013 - 11:49 PM.
Removed copyrighted image

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Nice article seeder, thanks for sharing.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

Always interested in anything to do with ancient Egypt.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,954 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 06 April 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Nice article seeder, thanks for sharing.

cormac

No worries Bud, Im always keen on keeping up with new findings, there must be so much stuff thats not been found, but every new find is a potential revelation and adds to our understanding of the ancients!   :tu:

View PostHilander, on 06 April 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Always interested in anything to do with ancient Egypt.

Me too, wish I was an archeologist who could just potter about ancient sites all day, digging up stuff from the ancients!  Especially the underwater stuff !  It'd be so thrilling to make the 'ultimate discovery', whatever that may eventually prove to be!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Yes, thanks! Love AE and anything underwater too. Very cool!
How awesome to be there and touch it and witness the seabed of huge artifacts. I'd probably hyperventilate and drown.

#6    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 April 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Yes, thanks! Love AE and anything underwater too. Very cool!
How awesome to be there and touch it and witness the seabed of huge artifacts. I'd probably hyperventilate and drown.

Hyperventilating whilst diving.....? ...... not the best of ideas methinks. However I can relate, I would too lol

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users