Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Lost Items Reveal Roman Bath Activities

roman bath drains bathouses trinkets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

A new study of objects lost down the drains in the bathhouses from the Roman Empire reveals that people got up to all sorts of things in these gathering places. They bathed, of course, but they also adorned themselves with trinkets, snacked on finger foods and even did needlework.

http://www.livescien...oman-baths.html

http://blogs.smithso...-teeth-cleaned/

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

There was a lot of hanky panky going on in these baths too.  So I imagine things were lost besides jewelry.

#3    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

It's mind boggling that so much has survived for that long, in many cases before the time of Christ.

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,021 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

My first thought upon reading the title of this thread was.... did they find an ancient rubber ducky?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,952 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Wow, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have apps that cover this kind of thing. Just been too busy.

#6    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

It seems as though these baths were an important part of hygiene and socializing. I suppose the powers in control change, but one would think that these baths would have proliferated rather than diminished in popularity over time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users