Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How Close Is Doomsday?

doomsday

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

While it is interesting to speculate on the probability of a doomsday event the reality is such that none of us will "get of this alive." We will all die. So, do enjoy each day as it may be your last, yet leave a lasting legacy of good will for that is how you will be remembered.

#17    Ashyne

Ashyne

Once Believer Now Sceptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

From the article:

Let's call your birth number "n." By the same reasoning as our hospitality officer example, you should conclude that the total number of humans ever born (call that "N") is not wildly larger than your birth number n. If you are the lucky 1 billionth human to be born, then probabilistically, there won't be a trillion more after you.

This makes absolutely no sense! The more humans are born, the more humans will be born because the reproductive pool is bigger. Not the other way round!

Posted Image

#18    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Interesting to predict, but for most if not all of us, we ain't gonna see it.

Edited by 27vet, 08 April 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#19    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,259 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostTesla II, on 08 April 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

I see but what if something happens in next 5 minutes? Quake, asteroid, explosion of any kind? It can happen anytime anywhere...

That is why i am starting to understand the nature of preppers.

I live in hurricane land. I am good, I keep enough stuff to cover a couple of weeks or so on hand. I also know how to live off the land if I have too.  I am not an idiot, you need to be prepared for an emergency, but I am not going to go crazy like some people, do.  You can spend a pile of cash and energy on what you think is going to happen.  In the end what do you have, a pile of stuff you most likely never use.   Believe me I have walked through hell and back, live today, enjoy the sun. Vacation in Florida.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#20    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

George Carlin hits the nail on this subject

Skip to 2:00 if you  just wanna here what he says on this subject

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#21    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

If it is "doomsday," then none of us will survive to tell about it, so it doesn't matter when or if it comes in our lifetimes.  Best to go about our business and hope for the best.  If we die, we die. Kind of makes me picture the earth as a big anthill and "doom" hanging over all of us like a huge foot.

#22    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Someone always has to yell "the sky is falling".

#23    Al Salooq

Al Salooq

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

I bet the History Channel or NatGeo will know! :tsu:

.                                                                              Posted Image

#24    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Are we talking about a mass doomsday or your own personal one? At 45 i guess mine's in about 40 years but i hope everyone doesn't come along for the ride

#25    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

The end is neigh! Boring.......!

#26    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

i knew a man who was suisidal ,  he had  all  these  things  to do  before being commited .

at this  moment , you have  passwords  and accounts ...  bills  and  important things that  need  to be done , schedules  and  hours  of  your  day full  of  tasks  and  plans ...

1 hour  after  your death , 97%  of  your total life history  will be  beyond  recovery  for all time , and beyond  any ones  intrest  or  desire  to  know .
with  in  one  year  of  your  death , you will be  a name recorded  in  records , and a memory in  the heart  of  people  who  knew  you .
in  200 years ...  you will  be a name in a gene pool ...if  you have children  who had  children ...    and  nothing of  you will  have any effect  in the  slightest  on  the nature  of  civil or  material world ....

that  is  kinda  how  i see  dooms  day .

the  human race  will  never  leave  this  solar system ...  when  the  sun  burns  out ,  our  planet  will  likely  stay  in the  area  with  it ...   ah, but  will  the  sun  stay  in  the  galaxy...  i think  not.
frankly speaking, my  bet  is  that  our machines  will  not  simply  out live  us ,  my  bet  is  that  they will  spread  across  space  like  a wave in  a pond ....

what  we  see  as  life  is  a  amino-asid  crystal....   we  are  crystals  that  walk!  the  bio'sphere  we  live  in  is  less  than  .oooo1%  of  the  mass  of  the  earth...  or  about  1oo feet  thick  (  20 feet  down  and  70 feet  high )...   that  accounts for  about  90% of   what  we  call  life .  
but  even  that  is granting  it  size  it  does  not  have...   of  a 200,oo  pound  tree  in  the  rain forest ...  only  about  100  pounds  is  actualy alive the  rest  is  fiber  , bark ,  wood , and  dead scale .
and  as  for  the  ocean...  there  is  more  going  on  there  than  on  the  land....   and  that  happens   only  in  the  top   20 to 30 feet of  the  water .  

humans  could pop  every  atomic  bomb  we  own and  its extreemly unlikly  we  would  kill  the  earth ...  micro wave  the  hampster , but  not  kill  the  c*** roach's ...

given  a winter ,  life  would  spring ,  summer  would  bloom again...   albeit  without  people .   what  we  are  really  talking about  is  this....    can  our  machines  make  the  leap  into space  before  we  revisit  our  childhood   as  cavemen  

frankly speaking,  life  is  very very hard  to  kill ...  people  on  the  other  hand  are  not  so  hard  to kill.
machines  are  not alive ... so  they can  make  the  trip  in  space ,   that  we  can  not .

#27    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 07 April 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

I think we are close to the end of civilization as we now know it. With exponential population growth, global warming, threats of nuclear war, it can't go on like this forever, can it? One day something's got to give. The human race will have to re-adjust itself to a new environment. A new political and social environment.

I'd give it another hundred years.

Didn't it only take ten years to reach another billion people? At that rate, 100 years later is going to be a small area to live in.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#28    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

It will come. Our minds and creativity are to powerful to be completely annihilated unless something like a black hole ejected from a galactic core comes screaming at us.

We have been reduced to about 2000 before, it will happen again. But I think we will pull through. If we don't get Out of the solar system by the time the sun turns into a red giant we are through.

Many devistating mini disasters are on their way that will be apear to be doomsday. The most prevenant are a pandemic and an emp for the sun. Both of which will force us to evolve medicinally and technologically to counter our vulnerabilities.  Let the good times roll ;)

Edited by Seeker79, 09 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#29    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Bring it on, I'm ready for home :tu:

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#30    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

It's very close for the man or woman in the last stage of pancreatic cancer. The same holds true for the prisoner who will sit in the electric chair tomorrow. For the rest of us, under normal circumstances, it's closer with each breath. If you are over a hundred-years-old on Doomsday, you might regret even thinking about it during your salad days.

Each generation can make claims for Doomsday for one reason or the other. It seems like there's a new prediction of the end of the world each week. Some of them sound quite plausible. The best bet is to act like Doomsday is in one minute while, at the same time, act like it will never come.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users