Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humanoid 'Petman' robot gets an upgrade

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,296 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

The uncannily human-like Petman robot from Boston Dynamics has now been given a head and clothes.

NBC News said:

The creators of the eerily beast-like BigDog robot have shown off a new creation on video. The formerly headless "Petman" anthropomorphic robot has gained both a cranium and a set of clothes — but its jaunty step is still the same, in a video shared Friday.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Loving these robots. I want to see an upgrade of their cheetah model, a more agile version would be cool to see.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#3    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,535 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I like these robots too, but they're scarey at the same time. Will they be stronger physically than humans? Will there be robot police? Will they be able to help little old ladies cross streets?

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#4    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Come with me if you want to live.

#5    imagestic

imagestic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Most people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them...

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Cylons in the making...

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 2,050 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

The technology is very impressive, the questions is who eventually will be programing these robots in the future and to what end? While I do not worry about them become self aware like some sci-fi movie, I can imagine that HItler, Stalin, Castro, Hussein and any number of former and current dictators would have loved to control an army of these. Unlike your fellow countrymen who may respect the same laws, ethics and even God that you do and therefore be reluctant to merely "obey orders", these have no such loyalties to neighbors and country and conscience. They could make the perfect suicide bomber or assassin; under a despotic totalitarian government they could be lethal enforcers. And remember, these represent only the first generation or so, they will become ever more sophisticated, more agile, more human-like, contain more software and be more adaptable with each new generation. By the time they are off the tether and walking among us, will we even know it?

#7    AlienDan

AlienDan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Creepy... Of course it's military clothing. -.-

#8    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,206 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

This is very interesting.  I don't think there's anything to fear unless a hacker takes over one or it malfunctions.  Either way, I'm sure there will be probably be some unwanted human intervention should it ever cause any harm to people...

#9    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

There is a storm coming.

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,370 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hail and welcome to the age of Blade Runner.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#11    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

that is pretty awesome and cool:) but i don't know whether i could personally  trust a machine or robots for many reasons made by somebody else for various reasons and etc.but if i made it then yeah i know i could trust it cause i made it and know what its in there in the machine and robots and technology in general

#12    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

but that is funny how humans try to make them more human like machines and robots.its still a machine in the end

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,303 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

I think its well behind the japanese ones...in that vid it has cable attached for support, and its so jerky...

ASIMO on the other hand, is my fave robot... cool as they come, no wires, no strings, no jerkiness, and the REAL DEAL..they dont put this guy on a treadmill...this one goes out in the real world! Up stairs, downstairs, in circles...AMAZING! (and Japanese)

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#14    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I assume they try to make them human like so it can perform perfectly one day as a human thus removing the need for mind control of people which although is at a high standard isn't fool proof so the "rich elite" can finally eradicate their main problem,the poor

#15    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postseeder, on 08 April 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

I think its well behind the japanese ones...in that vid it has cable attached for support, and its so jerky...

ASIMO on the other hand, is my fave robot... cool as they come, no wires, no strings, no jerkiness, and the REAL DEAL..they dont put this guy on a treadmill...this one goes out in the real world! Up stairs, downstairs, in circles...AMAZING! (and Japanese)

Once these guys are fully up and running, I would like to see a battle between the two haha.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users