Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boy banned from school for Mohawk haircut

haircut suspended mohawk

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

A five-year-old boy was sent home from kindergarten because his Mohawk haircut proved too distracting to other students.

Ethan Clos was told he cannot return to class until he loses the distinctive haircut.

School officials said the hairstyle violated their dress code by being 'disruptive and distracting'.

His mother Keshia Castle said her son considered the haircut 'cool.'

'They seen his hair like it was. All the little kids were going over and feeling on it and everything,' Castle said.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Rules are rules.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Rules are rules.

I agree, my kids school clearly states that extreme hairstyles (such as having zig zag lines shaved in etc) is not allowed.  It's not fair on the kid, but if its in the rules then the mum shouldn't have allowed it in the first place.

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I see both sides ont his one.

Firstly from the side of the school, if they don't put their foot down somewhere, where does it end?! I remember when all that "Eclipse" clothing was cool and my school banned it. (it had marijuana leaves and swearing on some of the clothes)

From the side of the kid/parents, my school never banned haircuts like this though and they didn't distract anyone. It is also good for children to grow up aorund diversity and let them express themselves. It would probably stop bullying later on in life when they think it's wrong to be "different" or to express themselves.

I think they should have let this oen slide in fairness. Schools are already too much like military acedamies with indoctrining children:

Posted Image

Is that relaly what we should be teaching our children?

Edited by Coffey, 08 April 2013 - 10:38 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,068 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

i don't know....  i guess rules are rules...  but how long would 5 year olds be "Distracted"   by Anything?   Maybe it was blocking the blackboard/marking board?   \\\///
Personally, i think it's a good idea to let kids get used to the Unusual along with the Usual?  .. to learn tolerance and the importance of INDIVIDUAL rights.

(Coffey beat me to it^)

Edited by lightly, 08 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#6    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostCoffey, on 08 April 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

I see both sides ont his one.

Firstly from the side of the school, if they don't put their foot down somewhere, where does it end?! I remember when all that "Eclipse" clothing was cool and my school banned it. (it had marijuana leaves and swearing on some of the clothes)

From the side of the kid/parents, my school never banned haircuts like this though and they didn't distract anyone. It is also good for children to grow up aorund diversity and let them express themselves. It would probably stop bullying later on in life when they think it's wrong to be "different" or to express themselves.

I think they should have let this oen slide in fairness. Schools are already too much like military acedamies with indoctrining children:

Posted Image

Is that relaly what we should be teaching our children?

I absolutely agree with what you say.  Hey, I am a pink haired, tattoo'd Pagan mum.  I guess I could fit in to the "different" category.

I guess when it comes to schools, you have to like it or lump it.  I have to work so can't homeschool my kids, not sure I would want to anyway as am sure the teachers do a better job than me.  But I guess rules are rules.

I am lucky in that although my kids school is strict in some sense, I do feel they are very open to accepting different ways of thinking and learning.

#7    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I agree with the school on this one.   It's the parents that need slapped.   He's a fifth grader.   11 years old.   Kids think lots of stuff is cool.   We as parents can say NO.
I think there may be other factors here as well.   I'll compare it to a similar case at the elementary school where my daughter goes.
There is also a 4th grader who has a mohawk.   He also has his ears pierced.   Wears ragged clothes to school (not just old, but dirty).  Sometimes wears oversized (probably the parents old) concert shirts (ACDC/Metalica ect..).  The bummer part is that he is also a distraction in class because of his bad behavior.  My wife had him in her class  a year ago and he was tough to deal with.   She had to call the parents a couple times and they just get defensive.
A 4th grader can only have a mohawk if the parents say OK.

#8    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Our policy clearly states that any dress or grooming which is disruptive or distracting to the educational process is not acceptable. In this particular case, the student’s hairstyle did provide disruption to the classroom,' Morris said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2Ps9BtsZY

How would you know what is disruptive until after the fact? Did they send home a guideline more explicit than this? Because what might be a disruption to a teacher isn't disruptive to the student-body or visa versa. If every year they send home with the student dress and conduct codes and it clearly states what is acceptable and what isn't then fine, the rules were broken. If they are loosely defined as this then it's a load of bull.

Heck, every spring at my old high school the whole baseball team used to get mohawks. I see this as a tempest in a teapot.

Some teacher got their knickers in a twist because they couldn't control their students or turn it into a learning experience about the Mohawk tribe from which the hairstyle originates.

Mabon.

Edited by Mabon, 08 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#9    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostMyles, on 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I agree with the school on this one.   It's the parents that need slapped.   He's a fifth grader.   11 years old.   Kids think lots of stuff is cool.   We as parents can say NO.
I think there may be other factors here as well.   I'll compare it to a similar case at the elementary school where my daughter goes.
There is also a 4th grader who has a mohawk.   He also has his ears pierced.   Wears ragged clothes to school (not just old, but dirty).  Sometimes wears oversized (probably the parents old) concert shirts (ACDC/Metalica ect..).  The bummer part is that he is also a distraction in class because of his bad behavior.  My wife had him in her class  a year ago and he was tough to deal with.   She had to call the parents a couple times and they just get defensive.
A 4th grader can only have a mohawk if the parents say OK.

OK, nevermind.    I read this wrong.   I thought it said 5th grader.    A 5 year old in kindergarten isn't that bad.   I would like to know more of how the kid acts, and if he is a disruptive child.  I would also like to know if the school sent him home early or just sent him home with a note telling the parents that he cannot come back unless the hair is cut.

#10    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,922 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Conform conform conform. You are the slave, I am the master, the state knows better how to raise children then parents. Unfreaking believeable.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#11    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

So the teacher was having a hard time controlling kids in kindergarten? The teacher is blaming a Hair Cut? Perhaps the teacher should be replaced.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#12    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I absolutely agree with what you say.  Hey, I am a pink haired, tattoo'd Pagan mum.  I guess I could fit in to the "different" category.

I guess when it comes to schools, you have to like it or lump it.  I have to work so can't homeschool my kids, not sure I would want to anyway as am sure the teachers do a better job than me.  But I guess rules are rules.

I am lucky in that although my kids school is strict in some sense, I do feel they are very open to accepting different ways of thinking and learning.

Haha, "different" is good in my book. :tu:

Well I think we should try harder to change schooling. It's very important for children to learn to question things and think for themselves a bit. This is why a lot of younger generations are starting to lakc common sense in my opinion. They can't think for themselves.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#13    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Schools have always had dress codes just like any company you work for would.  You have to follow them if you are going to attend class or get a job.

#14    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,518 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostCoffey, on 08 April 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Well I think we should try harder to change schooling. It's very important for children to learn to question things and think for themselves a bit. This is why a lot of younger generations are starting to lakc common sense in my opinion. They can't think for themselves.
It's a tough one.   In the early grades K-4th, the teachers have to do as much as they can to have a disciplined class.   You cannot have each kid questioning everything.  There would be no time left to teach what needs taught.  It also fluctuates per class.   Kids like to push the limits and teachers have to keep control.   It's tougher and tougher each year because many parents are relying on the schools to teach their children how to behave.

#15    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,922 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostCoffey, on 08 April 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Oh man, you should listen to my seven year old. Im always showing him the true meaning behind alot of things, especialy on TV (which Im really close to throwing out, the TV)  and asking him to always try to think outside the box. So even when he see's things that arent there, I tell him he is wrong about it, but that I really like the way he is thinking. Its hard at that age, cause they want to please us as parents. I dont want to make a robotic version of myself, but I dont want them to make a robotic version of what they want either.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

Also tagged with haircut, suspended, mohawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users