Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Boy banned from school for Mohawk haircut

haircut suspended mohawk

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostKowalski, on 08 April 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I was thinking the SAME thing! How about if you kid has a mullet? Would that be considered "disruptive"?  :w00t:

Business in the front, party in the back....

:tu:  Now, THAT is style...

I've seen what kids call a mohawk and that is not a true mohawk style.  The dudes I used to hang around with in high school that would listen to Black Flag and Suicidal Tendencies had mohawks.  They knew how to style it for school though.  They would split the hair and comb it back so it just looked like it was styled with the sides shaved, no problems.  The teachers, principals and everyone knew that they'd go in the boys room after school and spike their hair up, it was no big deal...    Once again, its the "you gotta accept me" mentality which doesn't work real well in the real world...

#32    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Rules are rules.

I agree. And rules should be followed. But rules and policy can also be changed if deemed unfair or unnecessary.  IF the parents of the mohawk boy feel strongly enough about this matter, there are courses of action that they can take to try and change this rule.  Or any rule for that matter.

#33    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,398 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 08 April 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I agree. And rules should be followed. But rules and policy can also be changed if deemed unfair or unnecessary.  IF the parents of the mohawk boy feel strongly enough about this matter, there are courses of action that they can take to try and change this rule.  Or any rule for that matter.
That is absolutely correct.   There are ways to make rule changes.   Going to the media probably is not the best way of doing it in this case.

#34    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostMyles, on 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

I applaud your Grandad.   Your class also benifitted from his actions.   Every minute the teacher didn't have to work with you was another minute they could work with another child.

Thank you, he's a great man. Yeah that is true, just a shame some of the teachers didn't like the way he taught me some things. Llike with Maths, when you have to show your workings, my grandad taught me some of them differently and my teachers made me do it their way which wasn't too bad as I was good at Math, but it was annoying. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#35    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,277 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's right.  Conform or be cast out!  Don't forget to smile!

#36    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,398 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostCoffey, on 08 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Thank you, he's a great man. Yeah that is true, just a shame some of the teachers didn't like the way he taught me some things. Llike with Maths, when you have to show your workings, my grandad taught me some of them differently and my teachers made me do it their way which wasn't too bad as I was good at Math, but it was annoying. lol

My daughters are taught a different way of doing some of their math too.   It can get frusterating, but I understand why they need to show their work.   Too many calculators.

#37    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,463 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

People keep saying the "rules are the rules" except if you read the article, there was no specific rule about mohawks. None. There's some vague statement about hairstyles and clothing not being disruptive.

My complaint is if some kids adorable little mohawk is a distruption the teacher can't control in five or less words... the problem isn't the haircut.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#38    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Little Kids follow trends,have you noticed the latest Beckham haircut,there are thousands copying their idols,its considered Cool by all kids.The mum should say stuff them and take him somewhere else.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#39    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,398 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 09 April 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

People keep saying the "rules are the rules" except if you read the article, there was no specific rule about mohawks. None. There's some vague statement about hairstyles and clothing not being disruptive.

My complaint is if some kids adorable little mohawk is a distruption the teacher can't control in five or less words... the problem isn't the haircut.

I think they have to draw the line somewhere and this is where they decided to draw it.

#40    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,463 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostMyles, on 09 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I think they have to draw the line somewhere and this is where they decided to draw it.

I'm not a big fan of vague rules with arbitrary lines being drawn. It's setting the people up who are suppose to be following the rules for failure.

I reiterate that if a fully grown, educated, adult in charge of the class can't get five year old kids to sit down with 5-10 words and 3 seconds, the problem isn't the haircut.  I'm not a teacher, but I can get a class of 25 five year olds to pay attention to me and do what I ask... in under 10 seconds.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#41    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,398 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 09 April 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

I'm not a big fan of vague rules with arbitrary lines being drawn. It's setting the people up who are suppose to be following the rules for failure.

I reiterate that if a fully grown, educated, adult in charge of the class can't get five year old kids to sit down with 5-10 words and 3 seconds, the problem isn't the haircut.  I'm not a teacher, but I can get a class of 25 five year olds to pay attention to me and do what I ask... in under 10 seconds.
I bet you can't.
It's not as easy as you think.

#42    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,463 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostMyles, on 09 April 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I bet you can't.
It's not as easy as you think.

Oh I know I can... I've done it. You just have to be slightly creative. It doesn't take much to redirect the attention of five year olds! LOL

#43    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,398 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

It's just different nowdays.   The kids are so poorly behaved that half the time is spent babysitting.  It's different from school to school to.  Lower income communities tend to have more poorly behaved kids.  My wife is at a nicer elementary school now and she doesn't have many issues.   When she was at another school, it was chaos.   You get 5-6 kids (out of 25) who refuse to be quiet and half your time is wasted.   You call their parents, send them to the office, try to reason with them, give the behaved kids bonus' (gold star, recognition).  There are some who refuse to behave.   That comes from home.  Lack of parenting.

#44    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hair.
Its Hair, people.
Is this really such a big deal?
Some people seem to think a simple dress code is the end of civilization as we know it.
Lighten up.

#45    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Why should it matter how you have your hair at school? I always thought the same with school uniforms. It's a place of learning not a prison. Students are more likely to be relaxed and have a will to learn if they're comfortable.

His style doesn't even look that distracting to me... looks pretty subtle as mohawks go.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

Also tagged with haircut, suspended, mohawk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users