Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Need help Identifying spider

spider brown fuzzy big hawaii

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, I am not normally fussed about spiders but we don't really have dangerous ones here in the UK.  If that thing showed up  on my pillow I don't think I would sleep for a week!!

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostChooky88, on 08 April 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Uggh. Big man here scared of two things, clowns and spiders. And hairy spiders are the worst. Who cares what species it is! Especially on your pillow!!! lol

Agree about clowns... creepy.  Why all the make up???  What are they hiding???  Worse than spiders to me...I can kill a spider if out bothers me... Lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#18    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 08 April 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yeah, I am not normally fussed about spiders but we don't really have dangerous ones here in the UK.  If that thing showed up  on my pillow I don't think I would sleep for a week!!

I shook out my blanket and pillows and pounded the mattress to send a message to any of it's friends that might be around then stayed up with the lights on till about 3 am when I finally dropped off.  No other spiders woke me up lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#19    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 08 April 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

It's not a recluse, this is a recluse.

Posted Image

Stupid google.... Said it was a recluse.  It's probably another huntsmen.

Thank you for the correction!

#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Did it bite you ?

Miss me?

#21    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 08 April 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Did it bite you ?

I don't think so but being a hypochondriac, I've been bitten, it's poisonous, and I should be going into anaphylactic shock any minute now... Maybe after I have some coffee.

#22    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

The prongs at the back definately indicate its female.
It looks a bit like a wolf spider ,but doe it have the four eyes ?
Wolf spiders have very apparent four eyes on their head .

http://www.termite.c...tification.html

Miss me?

#23    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 08 April 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

The prongs at the back definately indicate its female.
It looks a bit like a wolf spider ,but doe it have the four eyes ?
Wolf spiders have very apparent four eyes on their head .

http://www.termite.c...tification.html

It's a girl!  I'll call her Charlotte.  

I can't tell about the eyes but I think pitchp is correct she looks like a common house spider...although not so common in my house since third it's the first I've seen.

#24    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Could also be a Wolf Spider, I've got one in my garden hut,I call it Fred,and its been there years.Its the cleanest insect free hut on the planet.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#25    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

The photo is too rough.

Yet the legs look too short and robust for a cane spider. I am not familiar with Hawaii's indigeneous and introduced species of true spider.

It does resemble a wolf spider....

and a grass spider (Agelenopsis/Agelena but don't think this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agelena http://en.wikipedia....ki/Grass_spider ...

or a fishing spider (Dolomedes, also don't believe this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomedes

Could be a cane spider? But the ONE thing I do know without a doubt is that that species you photographed is not dangerous but completely harmless.

Edited by B Jenkins, 08 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#26    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 08 April 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Could also be a Wolf Spider, I've got one in my garden hut,I call it Fred,and its been there years.Its the cleanest insect free hut on the planet.

How big is Fred?  

I'm sorry to report that Charlotte did not make it through the night.  I think I may have swatted her a bit too hard.  :(  I felt something crawling on my neck and jumped up just slapping myself silly!  I didn't know what the heck it was and had a mini freak out.  Lol

#27    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 08 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

How big is Fred?  

I'm sorry to report that Charlotte did not make it through the night.  I think I may have swatted her a bit too hard.  :(  I felt something crawling on my neck and jumped up just slapping myself silly!  I didn't know what the heck it was and had a mini freak out.  Lol
Hi Freds body is about 3 cm's long, black,he has big feelers in front and long legs,and doesn't make any webs.I actually saw him catch a bee on a curtain one day,that was scary.He stands still in the same place for days,but when he moves its Fast.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#28    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I always hated it when I would be out horse back riding and ride through a spider web with a big spider in it.  I would be squealing and moving around all over the back of that horse.  I moved out of the saddle and ended up sitting on his hips, sliding off his back end.  Glad it didn't bother him and he came back for me.

#29    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 08 April 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

Hi Freds body is about 3 cm's long, black,he has big feelers in front and long legs,and doesn't make any webs.I actually saw him catch a bee on a curtain one day,that was scary.He stands still in the same place for days,but when he moves its Fast.

Oh my...that is huge to me!  Unless they are on my person, I don't mind spiders.  I think they are fascinating.   Please tell Fred I said hi!  Lol

View PostHilander, on 08 April 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

I always hated it when I would be out horse back riding and ride through a spider web with a big spider in it.  I would be squealing and moving around all over the back of that horse.  I moved out of the saddle and ended up sitting on his hips, sliding off his back end.  Glad it didn't bother him and he came back for me.

Lol!  Poor thing...  I would not want to ride into a Web like that.  Omg...what if it went into you're mouth!?

#30    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 08 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

The photo is too rough.

Yet the legs look too short and robust for a cane spider. I am not familiar with Hawaii's indigeneous and introduced species of true spider.

It does resemble a wolf spider....

and a grass spider (Agelenopsis/Agelena but don't think this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agelena http://en.wikipedia....ki/Grass_spider ...

or a fishing spider (Dolomedes, also don't believe this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomedes

Could be a cane spider? But the ONE thing I do know without a doubt is that that species you photographed is not dangerous but completely harmless.

Well thank goodness for that!  And thanks for looking for me.  I appreciate it.

All these spiders look like alien life to me  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users