Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Volcanic "perfect storm" kicked off dark ages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,637 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Scientist says volcanic eruption behind ‘perfect storm’ that kicked off Dark Ages

TORONTO — American paleoecologist Dr. Robert Dull believes he’s pretty much solved the mystery behind a catastrophic global climate change event from the sixth century.
As the new History series “Perfect Storms” shows, Dull has found solid circumstantial evidence that an eruption at El Salvador’s Lake Ilopango volcano was the cause of the so-called Dust Veil of AD 536, when a thick dust and ash cloud over the Northern Hemisphere cooled parts of the Earth and led to millions of deaths.
It’s perhaps a major breakthrough for experts who have long wondered whether the dust veil was a result of a volcanic eruption, a meteorite or a comet that slammed into Earth.
“I hate to say that it’s 100%, but it’s 99% in my mind done [that] Ilopango was the cause of the AD 536 climate cooling that lasted for at least two years, globally, but definitely as much as a decade in terms of cooler temperatures, crop failures across the globe, and a major catastrophe that killed millions of people,” Dull, senior research fellow in the Environmental Science Institute at the University of Texas at Austin, said in a recent interview.

http://news.national...-off-dark-ages/

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#2    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Cool, not for the millions of deaths.  But cool.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,301 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just goes to show you how delicate the balance of life really is.  Too cold or too hot and people will die.

#4    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Neat article! Thanks for posting. :tu:

Perfect Storms, premiering on Monday in Canada, investigates major natural disasters that have changed the course of human history — many from hundreds of years ago that aren’t well known — and presents them through impressive CGI technology and dramatic re-enactments.
In Dull’s episode called “Dark Age Volcano” — airing April 15 — he finds a tree in El Salvador that he believes was living at the time of the eruption of Ilopango, one of the biggest volcanoes in central America, around 1,500 years ago.

Will this be airing in the US as well?

#5    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,927 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

There is a growing consensus that the cause of the "dim sun" was volcanic in origin, but there are at least three different opinions about which volcano it was.  Candidates are Krakatoa, Ilopango and another South America volcano whose name I don't remember - San Something.  Tamboura and Vesuvius produced eruptions about the same time, though it is doubtful that they were big enough and Tamboura may not have been at the right time.

Little Fish is never going to believe this because the dating was confirmed by Keith Briffa using dendrochronology and according to LF, Briffa lies and dendrochronology is about the same as voodoo.  OK -  Druidism - dendrochronologists worship trees.

Anyway, I have some trees to worship.  Catch ya later.
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 08 April 2013 - 07:08 PM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users