Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Fracking map of N. America

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,301 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

http://earthjustice....e-united-states

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,084 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

It goes on more than people think, sometimes with disastrous results.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

It's a fracking disgrace!

#4    I_Am_Avatar_Korra

I_Am_Avatar_Korra

❝ ♔ Beauty

• 8,149 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for this. I'll read more about it later.

Av: contemporiste @ petitechoses.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think all the sudden sinkholes ,are a direct result of fracking . They're destroying the earth crust,ans moving tectonic plates .*******s !,

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I wish they would add all the proposed fracking sites as well.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,084 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

They don't want you to know about them, protesters and such.

#8    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Telekinetic

• 7,317 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

That Dick Cheney made it so that fracking was exempted from the provisions of the Clean Water Act speaks volumes.  They KNOW they are injecting poisons into the earth and our water supply, but they did it anyway.

I'm thankful that in my part of Florida the practice would not produce what they want.

#9    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Alien Abducter

• 5,298 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think you can fairly assume that if they're putting in a well, it's going to be fracked.  The easy-reach stuff is mostly gone.  What's left requires fracking.

I'm not surprised by that cluster of accidents in Pennsylvania.  The strata are contorted and there are a lot of unknown faults there for a charge to blow out along.

I think that fracking is getting the blame for a lot of things it had nothing to do with.  The main example is earthquakes.  It's injection wells that lubricate a fault and allow it to slip.  Fracking doesn't do that.  Even then, the only way anything can trigger an earthquake is if there's a lot of pressure already built up on the fault; the fault is already getting close to the rupture point.  In that case, injection simply releases it.  Injection speeds up what was going to happen anyway.  If fracking has ever caused an earthquake, that's how it did it.

Another thought:  fracking occurs at a depth of several thousand feet, often two miles down or even deeper.  The well casings are made of concrete and bonded to the rock so they don't leak.  It's a little hard to explain a "fracking accident" that didn't disturb an overlying aquifer.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#10    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Telekinetic

• 7,317 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Doug

I think it was last month's Mother Jones, maybe month before, that covered some earthquakes there in Oklahoma.  Studies were done by a few different outfits, and either fracking or the deep well injection was the most likely cause of them, as apparently Oklahoma doesn't usually have earthquakes.

#11    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Alien Abducter

• 5,298 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Doug

I think it was last month's Mother Jones, maybe month before, that covered some earthquakes there in Oklahoma.  Studies were done by a few different outfits, and either fracking or the deep well injection was the most likely cause of them, as apparently Oklahoma doesn't usually have earthquakes.
It was injection.  Interesting that Mother Jones published it - the epicenter was at Jones, Oklahoma.  There've been quite a few small ones in that area of late.  Some folks think the Rio Grande rift is reactivating.  There's a triple-junction on it in the San Luis valley in Colorado.  An eastern rift reaches all the way to Oklahoma in the basement rock.  Passes somewhere near OKC and Jones.  There's a real nice winery four miles east of Jones, in case you ever get down that way.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users