Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Great movies that weren't so Great, iyo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

What movie(s) that are consistently considered "Well-liked" or even "Great Filmaking" were you not so convinced they deserve it?
I am not a movie connoisseur or anything close, so you won't get any clever debate from me. And I won't argue anyone's taste. That is not the point of this thread.
I am just curious why others might not like some "Well-liked" movies.
I'll start:

The Breakfast Club
I never bought nor liked any of the performances.
It was too out-of-touch "Hollywood" for me. And I've been the outcast, the cheerleader, the burnout, and the athlete in junior and high schools I attended.

The Big Chill. Great songs, yet I never believed they would have been friends in college, or that "Sarah" would let her husband just sleep with an old friend like that.
The characters just weren't believable for me, no matter how motivating the music.

Forrest Gump
Sorry, hated Hanks performance, and just did not enjoy the movie or find it "touching" in any way.

The Wizard of Oz
I found Dorothy annoying and just could never get into her or any of the other characters.

It's a Wonderful Life
Hubby loves it and never misses it when he can. I've tried a couple times to make it through to the end but never can.
Not really sure why?

Your turn...

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 April 2013 - 03:02 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#2    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,781 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

The original Star Wars trilogy. They were an amazing experience when I saw them when they were first released, but when I watch them now they seem to me to be clunky B movies.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#3    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

I personally couldn't stand The Godfather movies... :hmm:  They were incredibly slow, and it was difficult for me to stay awake during them to watch the whole thing. A total bore...

That and the Back to the Future sequels. First one was great, second was just a money grabber, and the third was a shatter my forehead sized facepalm.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#4    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

The first Star Trek movie put me to sleep, although I enjoyed the rest of the films in the series. I needed coffee or No-Doze to stay awake during some of "2001: A Space Odyssey". That might have been due to my age when I saw it. I debated on that one since I didn't want to offend Kubrick fans.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#5    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,068 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

I could most likely name a heap but this one stood out .....

AVATAR -  For all the hype and build up this would have to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen , the story line was absolute rubbish... the acting ... about the same .

TiP.

Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. - Indiana Jones .

** Lannisters like to keep it in the family **

#6    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Anything starring Will Smith :w00t:

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#7    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

I totally agree , Avatar for all the hype was sooooooo crap.

#8    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

View Posttipotep, on 09 April 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

I could most likely name a heap but this one stood out .....

AVATAR -  For all the hype and build up this would have to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen , the story line was absolute rubbish... the acting ... about the same .

TiP.

It was beautiful in terms of graphics, which is why it sold so much. It's just like you said, the storyline and actors. I new the whole story pretty much before the movie even began.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#9    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

The English Patient
Passion Of The Christ
Titanic

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#10    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,043 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Titanic

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

American Graffiti
I just never cared about the characters (just a gut reaction, same as I have with the cast of the TV show Cheers, i disliked more in the ensemble than I liked/cared about)

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 April 2013 - 09:08 AM.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#12    Ruby04

Ruby04

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• "You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Christopher Columbus.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

AI I was 12 when I saw it at home watched like 30mins and gave up bored. American Beauty 13 when I saw it tried rewatching a few years ago still hated it too complicated

In life you have to go after what you want, not sit around and wait for things to come to you.

#13    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,036 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'd like to say Titanic, but since I've never actually seen the whole thing through from start to finish (I've often gotten bored halfway through and run off to do other things, or I've joined in watching the movie halfway through it's re-run on tv) I can't say I feel comfortable making that assertion (though I do think it apt).

One movie that I believe was not that great that will cause a lot of controversy is Pulp Fiction.  I never got into it.  The story was disjointed (by design) and as such I never became enamoured with the characters.  I'm a fan of Tarantino, and it's probably sacrilege to say this to any Tarantino fan (let alone myself as a Tarantino fan), but I didn't like the choice he made in mixing up the story lines.  I much prefer Inglourious Basterds, which at this point is my favourite Tarantino film of all time (and one of my favourite films of all time, period).  If you loved Pulp Fiction, you're going to hate me for this opinion, I just didn't like it.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostRuby04, on 09 April 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

AI I was 12 when I saw it at home watched like 30mins and gave up bored. American Beauty 13 when I saw it tried rewatching a few years ago still hated it too complicated

Yeah, that's one I never liked either.

I didn't think 40-Year-Old Virgin was the least bit funny.

#15    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 2,078 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 09 April 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Anything starring Will Smith :w00t:

I would agree with you if you replace "Smith" with "Ferrell". I just don't get him. He can do and say very funny things at times, but he often crosses the line into stupid territory. "Anchorman" is horrible, in my opinion.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users