Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The ethics of resurrecting extinct species

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it ethical? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it ethical?

1. Yes (19 votes [65.52%])

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

2. No (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

They should absolutely attempt to bring back any animal they want.    I would love to see it.  It's no more "playing God" than giving a person CPR to revive them.

#32    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,434 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Given that I just took my son to see the rerelease of Jurassic Park, I would say beware the law of unintended consequences. We silly humans cannot fully control the world around us.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#33    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

They went extinct of some reason. I can;t see bring back a Mammoth or a T rex or any thing that is long gone

Edited by wolfknight, 10 April 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#34    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,339 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 09 April 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

"i think that it would be a great idea, people would be able to go to zoos and see animals for how they really were, we all get shown images of what people said they looked like but no one knows for sure."

And that is exactly why it wouldn't be a good thing.  To be brought back and gawked at for your entire life behind bars as a prisoner, never to know freedom.  I hate zoos.

Sorry, animals in a prison are not how they really were or are. Not even close.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#35    rustygh

rustygh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• “For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Some Muslim cultures still allow the male to rape, torture, and kill his daughters, and wife. They are considered his possessions.
No we are not ready for cloning and bringing back the extinct is not working with evolution.  That's just my thoughts. If this came to fruition it could/would be very evil!

#36    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 10 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

They went extinct of some reason. I can;t see bring back a Mammoth or a T rex or any thing that is long gone

I think if they were hunted to extinction or that humans had a hand in the decline in their numbers, we should do something to bring them back as long as they can still assimilate into nature without disrupting another species' food supply/habitat.

#37    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,339 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostMantis914, on 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I think if they were hunted to extinction or that humans had a hand in the decline in their numbers, we should do something to bring them back as long as they can still assimilate into nature without disrupting another species' food supply/habitat.

As i said, look at what we have done to Wolves. Wolves were and always have been part of the ecological system. People are to stupid to realize this, and decided re-introducing wolves was wrong. Even though we were the ones that killed them off in the first place. The food chain had its balance, and still does with wolves, a natural one. Humans are to selfish to play with life.

Let nature take care of itself.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#38    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostMantis914, on 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I don't feel that should factor into it at all.   Do you think that so that somehow humans would have redeemed themselves a little?   Humans killed of species, natural disasters killed off species and creatures have killed off species.   It's funny that people will say nature killed off a species.   Humans are part of nature just like an asteroid is.  
na·ture

/ˈneɪPosted Imagetʃər/ Show Spelled [ney-cher]
the universe, with all its phenomena.

I say - Get rolling and let's get these species back.

#39    AI Construct

AI Construct

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

It's irresponsible, but not that these corporate scientists actually care about anyone but their own highly inflated egos and the prestige that goes with it. I imagine most scientists would do anything just to win a Noble Peace Prize, regardless of the consequences or damage they create. It's absolutely idiotic bringing back something like a Woolly mammoth or Saber Tooth Tiger just to stick it in a zoo, which is immoral and unethical for various reasons and releasing them into the wild is also equally irresponsible, as they would probably devour everything in site and destroy the Eco system that other animals rely and depend on. They've had their time, mother nature got rid of them for a reason and has moved on. Human beings simply don't have the right to mess around with something we don't fully understand. If anything, it's our duty to protect and respect nature as it is today.

Edited by AI Construct, 10 April 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#40    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostAI Construct, on 10 April 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's irresponsible, but not that these corporate scientists actually care about anyone but their own highly inflated egos and the prestige that goes with it. I imagine most scientists would do anything just to win a Noble Peace Prize, regardless of the consequences or damage they create. It's absolutely idiotic bringing back something like a Woolly mammoth or Saber Tooth Tiger just to stick it in a zoo, which is immoral and unethical for various reasons and releasing them into the wild is also equally irresponsible, as they would probably devour everything in site and destroy the Eco system that other animals rely and depend on. They've had their time, mother nature got rid of them for a reason and has moved on. Human beings simply don't have the right to mess around with something we don't fully understand. If anything, it's our duty to protect and respect nature as it is today.
I disagree.    The scientists are not doing anything wrong.   This would be an incredibly exciting field to be a part of right now.  Bringing back an extict animal!   I love it!
Mother nature isn't a real person.

#41    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I don't think there is nothing wrong to bring back extinct species or caveman or etc but they are living so yes they have rights and freedoms and etc like regular people and animals today!!!one thing that concerns though is are they truly alive meaning do they have a "soul" or are they just empty vehicles or shells???but other than that its okay to bring them back to life.as long as science don't do nothing bad and evil on them or unethical

#42    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,249 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 10 April 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

the more I think about this subject  the more I think NO it is neither ethical nor safe. Man decides to play god and brings something back, an example being a dodo ..but that specific  DNA donating creature died out due to a disease  oh lets say H29 N14 ( just pulling numbers and letters out of the air here people! )  that had embedded itself in the DNA of the extinct creature we  are bringing back, we can't ID it so don't know it's there and we are not immune to it because it was long gone before we ever got on this planet....... and because we don't know better so we bring back the  disease as well....... well you get the picture..... we may be intelligent but we are not  gods. we are humans  and every human makes a mistake at some point in his, her or It's life. we should not monkey with stuff  like this

edited for spelling
I don't think it works like that.... that a virus would be re-incarnated with the animal.

But, that does bring up a good point that every single one of us has symbiotic critters in us. That help us digest and process food into our bodies. Bringing back a complex animal like a dodo, or a saber-toothed cat, might just result in their dying quickly from not having the symbiotic critters that they need.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#43    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,249 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 10 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I don't think there is nothing wrong to bring back extinct species or caveman or etc but they are living so yes they have rights and freedoms and etc like regular people and animals today!!!one thing that concerns though is are they truly alive meaning do they have a "soul" or are they just empty vehicles or shells???but other than that its okay to bring them back to life.as long as science don't do nothing bad and evil on them or unethical
Animals have few rights. How many rights does a cow have? These animals would be the Property of the corporation that clones them. Property can be tortured to death if they want, or experimented on, or just killed and thrown into the dump.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#44    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,249 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostAI Construct, on 10 April 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Mother nature is not the Master of Mankind. We create our own Nature everywhere we go. We make buildings and cities and alter the local terrain, plants, watershed, atmosphere and even the temperature of where we live. We build and build and build, and consider everything our property. This would include extinct cloned animals. They would be property and never given back to nature.

I think using a cloned animal to show their physiology alone would be a useful addition to science.

Those who claim Nature will take a cloned animal and Rise UP and lay low the Technological Elite.... have been watching to many cheap horror flicks. I don't know how many sheep, pigs and mice have been cloned, but there has yet to be an accident where the sheep were accidentally made carnivorous and they ate a whole village.

#45    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,339 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 10 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

We create our own Nature everywhere we go.

So true, we also destroy it.

We also destroy it, bring it back, and destroy it again.

We are a cancer, a plague, a symbiotic creature.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users