Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The ethics of resurrecting extinct species

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it ethical? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it ethical?

1. Yes (19 votes [65.52%])

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

2. No (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 3,949 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Definitely yes

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#47    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,698 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Dang! Just realized this was a Poll Thread. Voted YES.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#48    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I think the word Sakari was looking for was, to quote Mr. Smith,  "a  Virus". ( I could be wrong and if so my apologies to Sakari )
  most viruses and diseases infect the  host at a sub cellular level ,adapting  and using that cells reproductive/regenerative  abilities to create more virus  like itself ( if I correctly understand what little I know on the subject) restore the wrong cell's DNA, one that has been virus Corrupted, and you could bring back a disease just as easily as the host creature.
  and a couple further thoughts, if life does require a soul or connection to some unknown form of energy ( this from an atheist mind you) would we  be god enough to be able to recreate that energy or would we just be creating /  cloning dead meat , or soulless monsters or something entirely different ( perhaps a monty python sketch.... "but sir  it has fangs" )

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 10 April 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#49    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,922 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I think the word Sakari was looking for was, to quote Mr. Smith,  "a  Virus". ( I could be wrong and if so my apologies to Sakari )
  most viruses and diseases infect the  host at a sub cellular level ,adapting  and using that cells reproductive/regenerative  abilities to create more virus  like itself ( if I correctly understand what little I know on the subject) restore the wrong cell's DNA, one that has been virus Corrupted, and you could bring back a disease just as easily as the host creature.
  and a couple further thoughts, if life does require a soul or connection to some unknown form of energy ( this from an atheist mind you) would we  be god enough to be able to recreate that energy or would we just be creating /  cloning dead meat , or soulless monsters or something entirely different ( perhaps a monty python sketch.... "but sir  it has fangs" )

Virus works for me.......I prefer cancer, but for this topic, virus.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#50    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Voted a big, fat YES! Yes, bring back extinct animals, anyone of them. What's the big deal? And who cares why the animal became extinct...who's to say "nature" is correct anyway?

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#51    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,698 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

I don't think they would bring back a virus, because a virus looks totally different from a mammal or bird's DNA. And to clone an animal, they would take a single cell and put that reconstructed DNA in there. They are not directly reanimating dead animal cells, like a Frankenstein monster. They are impregnating a cell with a single copy of DNA.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#52    Alekx

Alekx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• All knowledge start with investigation

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

On topic I think it wouldn't be convenient to bring them back simply because one of the best reasons would be the environment. Different time lapses have their different own changes between times and these changes present themselves on different ways on the environment itslef and on the species. As we know, natural characteristics change in orden for survival for the species so it would be pointless to create an unfree observational environment as a natural one too. Of course I can think of the possibility to recreate and adaptable environment but it would still be observational this way too though.

#53    Godofcats

Godofcats

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

I think Jeff Gildblum's dialogue in Jurassic Park said it all.

#54    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Doesn't matter.  Someone will do it anyway.

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#55    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,922 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostGodofcats, on 11 April 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.”
Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#56    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,017 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostGodofcats, on 11 April 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

While a little thought provoking, I don't think it is as important as it was in the movie.

God creates dodo's, God kills dodo's, God creates man, man brings back dodo's.

#57    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

If man had a hand in killing off a species then man should bring it back. It's not the same where dinos became extinct by nature.

#58    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

if humans extinct the creature, then we should be abligated to bring their spicies back as we extincted it

#59    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostHawkin, on 13 April 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

If man had a hand in killing off a species then man should bring it back. It's not the same where dinos became extinct by nature.

Who is this nature?
Humans are nature as much as an asteroid is nature.

#60    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostMyles, on 13 April 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Who is this nature?
Humans are nature as much as an asteroid is nature.

Unlike an asteroid, humans have the ability to think.
It's just unfortunate that a lot of them don't.

Edited by Hawkin, 13 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users