Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The ethics of resurrecting extinct species

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it ethical? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it ethical?

1. Yes (19 votes [65.52%])

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

2. No (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostHawkin, on 13 April 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Unlike an asteroid, humans have the ability to think.
It's just unfortunate that a lot of them don't.
I agree with that.   But it really shouldn't be a factor in bring an animal back.

#62    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostMyles, on 13 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I agree with that.   But it really shouldn't be a factor in bring an animal back.

I will agree that we are a part of nature since we share this planet with other species.
I just feel that since we have the intellect to control our destiny and the destiny of other
species, we should repair what we broke.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#63    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,235 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostHawkin, on 13 April 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

If man had a hand in killing off a species then man should bring it back. It's not the same where dinos became extinct by nature.

View PostZerocoder, on 13 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

if humans extinct the creature, then we should be abligated to bring their spicies back as we extincted it

What if the species that went extint only lived in one lake, or in one small 1 acre field, and fed off only one kind of plant or flower? Are we going to revive a species that was already 99% extinct? What if the plant or the lake that they depended on no longer exists?

That is why I think bring back a species into the world is only a good idea if there is somewhere for them to live and thrive. Otherwise your good intentions are just creating a second extinction.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#64    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 14 April 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

What if the species that went extint only lived in one lake, or in one small 1 acre field, and fed off only one kind of plant or flower? Are we going to revive a species that was already 99% extinct? What if the plant or the lake that they depended on no longer exists?

That is why I think bring back a species into the world is only a good idea if there is somewhere for them to live and thrive. Otherwise your good intentions are just creating a second extinction.

When I was born, the Earth's population was half of what it is now. I have a feeling that nature will take care of that.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#65    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostHawkin, on 14 April 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

When I was born, the Earth's population was half of what it is now. I have a feeling that nature will take care of that.

Maybe... Maybe not. Mother Nature is just another god entity that is claimed to have power, but I'd bet she can fade away just as Odin, Jupiter and Zeus have passed away.

When humans Create their own environments, we step outside of nature.

That is not to say that some plague might not wipe out large numbers of humans, but chiefly what wipes out humans is Other Humans!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#66    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,108 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

I can certainly understand the arguement that we should only bring back animals who could survive and be prosperous in the wild.   Dodo's, Thylacine, passenger pigeon and different deer species would make sense.

But I really want both a mastodon and a mammoth to be revived.

#67    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,629 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

No matter if it is moral to bring back extinct spieces or not... we will do it if we can.

#68    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

No it isn't ethical. AKA we'll do it any way until it screws up, then continue to do it.

Perhaps if we put a little more effort into looking after the wildlife and animals we already have in the first place then nothing else would be driven to extinction.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 20 April 2013 - 12:52 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#69    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 20 April 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

No it isn't ethical. AKA we'll do it any way until it screws up, then continue to do it.
Perhaps if we put a little more effort into looking after the wildlife and animals we already have in the first place then nothing else would be driven to extinction.
most people in the world does not care about the consequenses of their actions, i did not either but now i think twice before i do something

View Postmarkdohle, on 19 April 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

No matter if it is moral to bring back extinct spieces or not... we will do it if we can.
Agreed, their called animals for a reason and the reason is their not sentient beings that can think and act, they only show primitive brain functions

and if we choose to bring back, i don't think we would let them go to the wild just yet.
i was thinking of Controlled enviroment so we could determine if their ready to be released or not.

Edited by Zerocoder, 20 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#70    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 20 April 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Compared to most of the world, the US is Mega-Uber-Green. India (overpopulation, disease, industry), China (Farming Nitrites, Industial pollutions), Brazil (Deforestation), Central Africa (burning anything they can find, eating anything they can find, overgrazing, desertification).... are all much worse then the US ecologically. There is more woodlands in the US then there was when the English began colonizing 300+ years ago.

If there are problems, then sure, science will need to work on them. But the only thing that is unethical in cloning animals is perhaps abusing them for sport. If it is for food, or scientific reasons, or just to return them to nature... those are not unethical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users