Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US Won't Lead New Manned Moon Landings

space nasa moon mission

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Asadora

Asadora

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

I was reading the following article:

http://www.space.com...ons-bolden.html

and I found the following statement to be quite bold:

With Obama now in his second term, Bolden also warned that if the next presidential administration chooses to make another major course change in NASA's human spaceflight program, such a change would mean
"We are probably, in our lifetime, in the lifetime of everybody sitting in this room, we are probably never again going to see Americans on the moon, on Mars, near an asteroid, or anywhere. We cannot continue to change the course of human exploration."  "

This is sad but expected news. What I find most interesting in the above quote is that it could imply that any manned space flight will be privately funded and the need for NASA will be greatly depreciated, only leaving NASA to continue with telescopes and super imagining tools and space exploratory robots.

It is far more likely that any manned mission will be solely proacted by a private company to which will leave the rest of us, pretty much in the dark. India and China are still exploring the moon with their robot technology. If they find something grandly interesting, how likely are the rest of us to know?
I've always dreamed of us Humans returning to the Moon, because I just believe that now we could do it better; however, it would seem that given the information within the aforementioned article that this dream will never become a reality.  
Someone really doesn't want us to return to the Moon. (I say that in jest partly.)

Do you think that we are losing a great opportunity to explore the Moon further with manned missions? Or do you think that as we have already been there and done that, there is no need to go back?

Kind Regards :)

(P.S.: Please be kind, as this is my first thread.)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,595 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

You are forgetting of Space X and other Space organisations. The Russian Space agency, European, Chinese, Indian.
USA does not own space

#3    Asadora

Asadora

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

You are forgetting of Space X and other Space organisations. The Russian Space agency, European, Chinese, Indian.
USA does not own space

I did not say that the 'USA owns space.'
And if you actually read, you will see that I did say 'India and China are still exploring the moon.' Also when I said 'privately funded' that also is under the umbrella of the other Space agencies.
I went directly by the article and did not go off topic, which you have appeared to have done by misquoting me when it is clear -fact- as to what exactly I did say.

If you can not contribute positively to this thread, then do not contribute at all.

Next time, please take the time to -read- and to -think- before jumping on someone for no 'logical' reason whatsoever.

Kind Regards

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,595 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostAsadora, on 09 April 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I did not say that the 'USA owns space.'
And if you actually read, you will see that I did say 'India and China are still exploring the moon.' Also when I said 'privately funded' that also is under the umbrella of the other Space agencies.
I went directly by the article and did not go off topic, which you have appeared to have done by misquoting me when it is clear -fact- as to what exactly I did say.

If you can not contribute positively to this thread, then do not contribute at all.

Next time, please take the time to -read- and to -think- before jumping on someone for no 'logical' reason whatsoever.

Kind Regards
I have not misquoted you Im saying what I know. You are saying Moon missions could be over or not happen. Nasa spends more time exploring on Mars or anywhere else.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,085 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think NASA has their eye on a bigger mission.  Which they are right you can't do everything you have to concentrate on one project and I like the idea of going to Mars or an asteroid.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,348 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Which countries have even put a man in space?  Russia, USA, and China.  All others rode with either the USA or Russia.  It's really kind of a disgrace that India and China with the amount of extreme poverty rampant in those countries even have a space program.  Makes about as much sense as North Korea spending money on Nukes.

#7    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Been there done that,... New missions, new frontiers to be explored.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#8    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Come on China and Russia . Go for it.......

#9    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I dont care who puts a man on the moon, as long as they do it in my lifetime.

Imagine watching THAT on TV, in HD.

Edited by Hazzard, 10 April 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#10    Ashyne

Ashyne

Once Believer Now Sceptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Continue putting off space research and other-world colonization and when an unstoppable space or terrestrial threat comes and everyone is stuck here with no way to get off the dying planet, then you will know that nothing is more important than establishing a backup human colony far away from the homeworld.

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I hear ya Hazzard ! HD T.V on the Moon It would re-energize us all ! No matter Whom does it ! We all on this planet need to chip in on a return !
:tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#12    Merc14

Merc14

Government Agent

• 3,397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

There are thought to be vast reserves of Helium-3 on the moon and that provides indiustry with a commercial incentive to get to the moon and back.  NASA's mission, IMHO, is to stretch mankind's boundaries and do things that are purely scientific and/or intrinsically valuable to us as a species in the same way that landing on the moon in 1969 was not commercially valuable but was intrinsically valuable.

Landing a man on Mars would be a seminal event for mankind and would push techniology ahead a generation.  It is the right mission for NASA to pursue.  Let industry work the moon and NASA get us to Mars.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#13    mischamoonlight

mischamoonlight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

I wish we were making bolder explorations. Funding for other stuff if getting in the way of our discovery of stars, we whould of well been to Mars by now, considering we went to the Moon in the 60's, and the technology they had then is less than what he have in our Mobiles/cell phones. We have to take risks now or we're never going progress in this century let alone after that.

#14    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

As long as it is human it is progress robotics just sucks... Nasa has become nothing more than a fancy observatory... since gov, rather sell bullets and armory instead of developing economy and exploration means...

Just imagine switching 1 year military budget with Nssas... that would be breath taking.. in just 1 year..

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#15    Merc14

Merc14

Government Agent

• 3,397 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostTesla II, on 10 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

As long as it is human it is progress robotics just sucks... Nasa has become nothing more than a fancy observatory...

Many believe it is a massive waste to send humans when you can send robots for a hundredth of the cost, peform the same science and stay on the planet for extended periods of observation.  Curiosity has done a massive amount of science in a very short time and by all indications, will be doing so for years.  When the technology is advanced to the point that you can get people to Mars in a couple of months, land them for a month and get them back in a couple of months I say go but anything longer is dangerous, massively expensive and and a waste of time and money.   Send robots to answer our questions until manned exploration is feasible.

View PostTesla II, on 10 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

since gov, rather sell bullets and armory instead of developing economy and exploration means...Just imagine switching 1 year military budget with Nssas... that would be breath taking.. in just 1 year..

Government buys bullets and armor, they don't sell it and defending the country against its many enemies is in the preamble of the constitution it is considered so important but no where is exploration discussed.  BTW, I grew up during the apollo program and for a decade I heard the democrats rail against the cost of the program and how it  would be money better  providing for the poor and I expect that would occur at a much higher volume if we decided to spend $100B or more to fly a couple of people to Mars for a week.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users