Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Christians and oppression

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#121    IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,937 posts

• ďIf you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough.Ē ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 19 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

It is true. Blind faith in anything from religion to corporations has the same effects. I guess as long as a person is aware of this then hopefully when the time comes their critical thoughts will kick in. I'm not actually seeing anything we are disagreeing on. You seem pretty aware. I'm glad you have that bit of shame. It shows you are not entirely a zombie.

The truth is of course is that  missionaries do and have indeed invaded aboriginal cultures, and in many many cases force conversion if not committing murder and genocide. The blood is not so easy to wash off because one claims they were not following the bible properly. It's irrelevant, most Christians interpret the bible in their own way and contexts anyway. It's the rare Christian indeed that has a stack of different scholarly translations at home, with notes from linguistic experts and historians. Most Christians still believe that the Tree was really a tree and the Adam and Eve were actually real people that ate a real piece of fruit from the tree. It makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

I still do not understand why Christians say Jesus died for us  when he is waiting in heaven. No one has been able to logically explain the 'sacrifice' to me. I could understand this sacrifice for ones convictions from a man but not a god/man.

But anyway. I think the case has been made that Christians, as a group, are just as guilty if not more so of oppression than any other group in the last 1500 years. This is indeed why free societies maintain freedom of religion rights as to attempt to escape the madness of faithful people that insist that their brand of spirituality is the ONLY way.
I think there are quite a few areas where we have disagreed, but it's become obvious this is not going anywhere since we don't seem to be communicating.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users