Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Christians and oppression

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#31    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

Treat other people as you want to be treated, and love God and other people with all of your might. Forgive people when they wrong you, and turn the other cheek. Be kind to the least of humanity. It's impossible to oppress people if you follow those admonitions from Christ.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#32    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,198 posts

• Hi! :-)

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

Good topic armchair :)

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#33    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

http://en.wikipedia....iner_sacrifices

this is about human sacrfice for egyptians, i state this not to insult the whole of the egyptian religion but to show you they arnt at least perfect. this isnt directed at all umers just the one who hijacked my topic. its a bit unfair to compare a living religion to a dead oneone and then say their hands are clean due to a lack of evidence.
how is it possible to be part of this religion? do you think of your self as a high priest?

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#34    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 10 April 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

i often read people comments that they show no sympathy to christians who are oppressed, because christians have a history for oppression. that being said i do hear sympathy from alot of non christians.
as a christian i have never took part in a holywar or supported any of the ones before i was born.
i have never taken it upon my self to own slaves and try to support my actions with the bible and dont see the logic of the ones who did before me.
i have never burnt a witch.
i have never walked door to door preaching.
as far as im aware ive never said a UMer was going to hell.
i have never been oppressed but do you think me, and others like me derserve oppresion?

much love from an unoppressed christian

Do I think you deserve oppession? No, I don't think any christian deserves oppression necessarily. However in this country same sex marriage is currently going through the process pf being legalised. Many christian denominations said they were against it because the law would 'oppess' them. The problem with that, of course, is that believe is oppressing the christian groups (and non-christians) that want it. That's an example of modern day christians attempting to commit oppression.

Oppression doesn't begin and end in the death or imprisonment. While muslim countries are very oppressive (and it's important to note christians aren't the only ones oppressed in them, but pretty much every group is) it's important to remember that form of oppression is the most extreme end of the scale, not the only one. It's also important to note that a lot of the groups muslims oppress were also oppress by christian states as well (not necessarily in the same manner though).

Oppression shouldn't be excused because that form of oppression is part of a religions scripture. That includes any religion, not just christianity.

So back to your main point. Should you be oppressed for being a christian? No. But if you're using your christianity to attempt to oppress others, than you shouldn't expect people to react positively to it. (And it should be noted too that christians seem quite happy to oppress one another and that should be challenged as much as christians trying to oppress non christians.)

Edited by shadowhive, 12 April 2013 - 10:14 AM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#35    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

The oppressors (you know who you are) Posted Image

The oppressed (me) Posted Image

and now I must fly Posted Image

#36    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,198 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 12 April 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Treat other people as you want to be treated, and love God and other people with all of your might. Forgive people when they wrong you, and turn the other cheek. Be kind to the least of humanity. It's impossible to oppress people if you follow those admonitions from Christ.

Amen

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#37    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,198 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

We need to watch how we turn our cheek though...

#38    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 12 April 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

We need to watch how we turn our cheek though...

It's easier said than done at times. Sometimes, when someone slaps my cheek, I can barely resist the urge to punch both of their cheeks in return. :whistle: I have those cartoon angels and devils on my shoulders. Sometimes, I listen to the guy, dressed in red, with the horns, tail, trident, etc..

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#39    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

Then I guess Spanish Inquisition was a thing of fiction? :whistle:

#40    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 13 April 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

Then I guess Spanish Inquisition was a thing of fiction? :whistle:
No it was a thing of history not perpetrated by anyone living today.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#41    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

Religion oppresses its own and no others that but those that choose to be opressed.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#42    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 12 April 2013 - 12:23 AM, said:

Reality check: Christians are oppressed in ALL muslim countries. From being banned outright (in Shariah countries like Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia) to living under second-class dhimmi conditions (in "moderate" muslim countries such as Turkey and Malaysia).
No equivalent exists in the Christian world. Talk about an upside-down world-view!

Gay rights? Christians oppose same-sex marriage (something that I do too as an atheist). Under Islam, homosexuality is punishable by DEATH. Ahmedinejad on his US visit was bragging that Iran is free of homosexuals. The only pictures of homosexuals in the islamic republic show those who are hanging out.... by their necks, under construction cranes.

And you lambast the.... Christians???

Which genocide? The genocide of the Christian Armenians, committed by the muslim Turkish government?  That is whitewashed by the Turkish government, and never criticized anywhere in the muslim world.

Or the Jewish genocide? That is praised by islamist preachers all over the muslim world as a great success, and Yussuf Al Qaradafi (the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood) calls for a repeat.

Or the genocide of the Indian hindus during the muslim invasion of India? Or the genocide of the Afghanistan Buddhists during the muslim conquest of Afghanistan? Any other you had in mind?

You are sure you are not barking up the wrong tree again?
I think you are barking up a completely random tree there my friend. Relatively speaking there are not that many ' oppressed' chriistians. I don know what tangent your on... But I do not disagree with most of what you said.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#43    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 11 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

native americans?  what on earth are you talking about?  There was never a holy war declared on native american by christians.

gay rights?  Nowhere on earth are gays being murdered by christians just for being gay.
Now in muslim countries that is a different story.
I'm not talking about any holy wars. I'm talking about Christians perpetrating genocide. You cannot separate a the religion from the actions of the people. If 95% of the actors in something are Christians, then one can say it was Christians who did the acting. Not all of them of course.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#44    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 11 April 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

A true Christian principle is not to oppress but to free (the way I see it)
Why should we appologize for other peoples malpractice or held accountable for it?
Perhaps the version (the mask) that promotes this is not our religion at all but, we are still Christian.
Ive said this for a long time, and not directed at you in particular seeker, I think you know this.. but peoples understanding needs to open up on all sides. And all need to be cognizant of how to treat other people. Titles are nothing, the principles are what matter, knowing what is important to us and what we have discerned to make a part of our practice (religion) will alert us how to respond in any environment. Christians need to learn they dont have to agree with everything the pastors or the old ways say... we ALL should be on the road to seeing each other as equal, special, worthy. (Even those who need work, because... we all need work)
That's all good wisdom there. And I don't think anybody should be held accountable for another's action, my point was that a person might consider holding themselves accountable for the actions of others in the same group especially a religion. If I were Christian I would feel some personal responsibility to how how other Christians behave. I would not be able to help it. Hell!!! I feel some personal responsibility to how other humans behave just because for now im one of them. I'm an American, and I'm constantly troubled how we behave abroad, why we dropped the the atomic bombs when Japan was already going to surrender.... And a thousand other things. I suppose that's why my blood pressure is all over the place. I don't even watch the news anymore.

Bruce Lee-

#45    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 4,198 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 13 April 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

That's all good wisdom there. And I don't think anybody should be held accountable for another's action, my point was that a person might consider holding themselves accountable for the actions of others in the same group especially a religion. If I were Christian I would feel some personal responsibility to how how other Christians behave. I would not be able to help it. Hell!!! I feel some personal responsibility to how other humans behave just because for now im one of them. I'm an American, and I'm constantly troubled how we behave abroad, why we dropped the the atomic bombs when Japan was already going to surrender.... And a thousand other things. I suppose that's why my blood pressure is all over the place. I don't even watch the news anymore.

I did understand your point.. but man really we cant help what other people do... we can write a letter, complain cry etc... but it was not our principle that led them to do that action, im sure if we could counsel them and they would listen we would (and thats not to say we know everything, but i do know some things, like justice for all). Life is not a two sided coin, i get what your saying, im neither agreeing or disagreeing... and I am agreeing and disagreeing all ay the same time. Lol.

Peace Seeker

Edited by SpiritWriter, 13 April 2013 - 06:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users