Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

maggie's Funeral

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

MP's have already been given the green light on claiming expenses to pay tribute to Maggie to the value of £3,750, x 650 = £2.5m
http://metro.co.uk/2...6/?ITO=facebook

while other sources estimate the actual funeral to cost upwards of £10m,
http://www.guardian....al-armed-forces

Thoughts ?

#2    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

From what I understand the Family will be paying some of the cost,and the British tax payer will be paying the rest.

I won't comment any further,don't want to be accused of being left wing.

Edited by shaddow134, 10 April 2013 - 03:10 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,065 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 10 April 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

From what I understand the Family will be paying some of the cost,and the British tax payer will be paying the rest.

I won't comment any further,don't want to be accused of being left wing.

Me neither - same reason -opposite wing!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I heard she didn't want a state* funeral because of the cost. Grant the lady her wish.

*I know it isn't technically a state funeral, but let's be real guys. Cost is going to be the same.

Also I can't believe they are being granted expenses to come back for the tributes. That's an outrageous waste of money - they feel that strongly about her, they can spend their own bloody money.

Posted Image

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't really see why anyone from the government deserves a fully paid for funeral. What the hell is that about anyway?!

The only reason i could see someone getting that is if they had bought world peace.

Who the hell needs a 10million+ pound funeral jeez.

Edited by Coffey, 10 April 2013 - 04:42 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,635 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

She made herself staggeringly rich through her policies so i think her estate should foot all of the bill.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Surely if the Free Market wants a funeral for her, then the Free Market will find the money.
I love that fully three quarters of the money is going on security. i suspect that "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead" will be heard a LOT during the funeral, just not at the funeral.
Incidentally - Ding-Dong? Number 2 in the charts.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 10 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

MP's have already been given the green light on claiming expenses to pay tribute to Maggie to the value of £3,750, x 650 = £2.5m

As I understand it, that money is only available if travelling back from abroad. I still think it's wrong and could have waited a  week for parliament to talk about her but wanted to get facts straight.

View Postshaddow134, on 10 April 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Family are paying for the service, cremation/burial etc. All the things everyone pays for in a funeral. The state wants to add extra as a mark of respect, seems right the state pays for it.

View PostCoffey, on 10 April 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I don't really see why anyone from the government deserves a fully paid for funeral.

Me neither. Just as well she's not getting one, eh?

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#9    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Wonder how many lives could be saved with 10 million...still,more company for her in the afterlife eh? There would have been a lot more respect for her memory if she (and others) had insisted on a private funeral.They couldn't force a public 'do' on the family if they said no.

Posted Image

#10    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostSetton, on 10 April 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

As I understand it, that money is only available if travelling back from abroad. I still think it's wrong and could have waited a  week for parliament to talk about her but wanted to get facts straight.

Apologies perhaps not all MPs will be claiming expenses to pay tribute to Thatcher, the official cost to the tax payer for her funeral will be announced after, hopefully someone will release just which MP claimed what amount towards her tribute,
Its just as well that this amount is only available to those travelling back from wherever, as we know what MP's are like with expenses claims

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,008 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

I had no idea how strongly this lady was detested in Britain.  I see the points being made and realize that if she indeed did cause such harm the hard feelings would be legitimate.  But there are always two sides and this reminds me of the vilification Reagan received upon his death.  I'm sure that will be eclipse when W passes in a few years.  No one is as bad as their worst deed and no one as good as their best.  RIP Iron Lady.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#12    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

View Postand then, on 11 April 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I had no idea how strongly this lady was detested in Britain.  I see the points being made and realize that if she indeed did cause such harm the hard feelings would be legitimate.  But there are always two sides and this reminds me of the vilification Reagan received upon his death.  I'm sure that will be eclipse when W passes in a few years.  No one is as bad as their worst deed and no one as good as their best.  RIP Iron Lady.

I think your always going to have those who will condemn any leader,  personally I was too young and naive to really understand her policies or how they impacted, I remember the Poll tax and just how worried my parents were over it, but I will concede I think SHE thought she was doing the right thing for the country, and as long as you stick to that principle as a PM even if you fail miserably, there is at least some honour in that.

I don't think the tax payer should be burdened with the cost of her funeral though, I think the tax payer is sick to the back teeth of hearing about how hard up the country is, then have to witness obscene amounts of money used like this, Its almost like rubbing salt in, to those who have ill feeling towards her, to now have to foot this expense.

Edited by ciriuslea, 11 April 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#13    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,642 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I wasn't a great fan off all her policies but she hasn't been in politics in Donkeys years.  I think people could show a little respect as it is at the end of the day a person that has died.

All this celebrating is pretty bad taste to be honest.

Posted Image

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,635 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I am certain there were celebrations when Ghengis Khan passed away.
Its simply returning the pain she caused to its source - sort of karma.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,642 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 11 April 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

I am certain there were celebrations when Ghengis Khan passed away.
Its simply returning the pain she caused to its source - sort of karma.

Br Cornelius

Didn't she relieve some pain for the climate crowd as she put a stop to subsidizing coal that nobody wanted and switching to gas?

Thing is most hardline Labour supporters would would still vote the party in if Gengis Khan was the leader.

Edited by skookum, 12 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users