Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stephen Hawking: Explore space

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

• Ultimately, your experience is the best teacher.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Try reading your posts back. What do you see yourself writing about? I see you writing about how to appreciate specialness in people, how to appreciate people's accomplishments. Nothing wrong with that. It's a very good thing you can do that. I'm the opposite mindset there, and I dont think either of us have to apologize our predispositions. You're very right that this has got more to do in both of our insecurities, yours too, because you see how we talk about very opposites, not just me but you too, it's not as if I keep this up alone, is it? I'm just already very aware of my insecurities and you hit the nerve there but that's good, thanks. Are you? I look the biggest monster, my inner self into the eye. Because behind that monster is a pot of gold, talents. :D Or you could say, the talent is to not kill nor subdue that monster, not even to tame it, but to have it as someone who you can work with. Anyone who can do this to a greater extent can tap more into their talents.

I'm not just making a fuss over this issue because of my insecurities though, but because I'm hoping to learn something from you. I think I did, that makes me richer after this. I learned more about my own weakness through your strength. Thanks. You might laugh at this, but I think I'll actually fare better in life after this you know. I'm not the one making an issue, I just bring the issue that's already there, more visible.

If you feel the need to argue with others, you dont get free will.
Be what you are. It's up to you.
Leaving everything behind, what are you left with? That which is always inside you. It'll always guide you, if you l
isten.
Nature itself has power no technology in hundred years will replicate. Power to heal you from the inside out. It is holy.

#32    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

"Try reading your posts back. What do you see yourself writing about?" Mk

My post counter has reached the hundreds. I don't interest myself sufficiently to plow through even a small sample of it.

If you wish to quote me passing judgment on persons, be my guest.

Mk,
There's a spectrum of accomplishment; from the child that is still-born (virtual zero accomplishment), all the way to ... *?

If you haven't intended to suggest we do, I apologize; but I think ranking them is wrong-headed; even though it's quite common.

Students are graded on scholastic performance.
Getting admissions acceptance at an Ivy League university is extremely competitive.
Workplace (employment) environments can be competitive.
We compete for attractive spouses, and comfortable houses.

I pass judgment on political candidates, rejecting some, approving (voting for) others. I even write a check now and then.
But I'm not much about passing judgment on people unless there's a reason; such as being a juror. Other than that, an open mind provides a panorama of the world.

* I don't know what the other end of the spectrum is.
Devout Christians might say it's Christ.
Explorers / adventurers might say it's Neil Armstrong, or Marco Polo.
I'm not entirely comfortable about passing such judgment.
Instead my point is; it only took one guy to invent the light bulb. It was Tom Edison that turned off the dark.
Do I therefore pass judgment like: Edison was better than Mother Theresa?
I most certainly do not.
I appreciate great accomplishment, perhaps more so when I'm the beneficiary. I benefit more from Edison's genius than Michael Phelps' numerous medals.

#33    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• 1,597 posts

• Ultimately, your experience is the best teacher.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was talking more about your posts on this topic, I think they all say the same thing that you appreciate people's accomplishments, it's something I have still very much room to learn to, as in everything but especially that. There's just two sides to that coin, I see one and you see the other. I guess that's my bottom line, we're comfortable on our ends. Getting a reward or recognition, the kind of thing you seem to have a talent to give to people, does encounrage them to work more and better. It's a good thing. But the system we've arranged around money, how it all spins the ordinary people, it's very much how you put it with that in your previous post, here:

"There is no law that says we have to go to work every day and follow our employer's orders. Legally there is nothing to prevent us from going to live in the wild like primitive people or from going into business for ourselves. But in practice there is very little wild country left, and there is room in the economy for only a limited number of small business owners. Hence most of us can survive only as someone else's employee."
Excerpt from Unabomb Manifesto: author convict Theodore Kaczynski; sentenced to Lifetime imprisonment without possibility of parole

You know the reality of things there probably. I sure do, as well as a majority of the world. I just see it being very polarized, an either-or thing. Either you fit into a readymade mold or have severe difficulties compared to if you just had played along. Played along and fit to the mold regarding job and education, the way you get money, the way you make a living, the way you sustain yourself, the way you must do unless you wish to live without a roof over your head. It's pretty unconditional because of these practises we have adopted, Certainly, workers are being listened more and more, and we get more free time, but it's still very much an ongoing, slow, peaceful and silent revolution. Still a revolution though. People dont feel good about their lives because they're not encouraged to find and pursue their talents as much as they're encouraged to fit in, and I dont think it's an either-or question, but a question of arranging it all in a more sensible way than this.

When people dont feel good they usually look for faults everywhere else but within themselves, partly because it's so hard to see your own faults even if you were a professional psychologist or astrologer or other human behavioral researcher. But it's really looking at the mirror from where everything starts. Asking yourself what you can do. We could afford to support that more, that process for everyone, we should focus on that more instead of finding just new and new ways to make money. It's just a transaction material. But the reality of the world gives too little time and energy for that for the larger part of us. That's my beef here. That why I got agitated when I saw you saying only those few got talent, or thought you ment that. If you'd had made Einstein and DaVinci born into poor families where their fathers had forced them to study something else entirely and work another career, what are the chances they'd had succeeded there too? DaVinci was a multitalented person so he might've had better chances but I doubt Einstein would had been a prodigy in all fields. I dont say this to belittle them, but to try give you a view of how much other factors than talent influence what we call success.

Our talents may be equal when you put a sum of every little talent there, but that's about it. Again, I dont say this to belittle them or to begrudge things, you took my words that way, there's another picture there. A picture of people who made poor choises in poor circumstances, more or less. Improving those circumstances in their critical points would probably be the best thing we could do for mankind.

If you feel the need to argue with others, you dont get free will.
Be what you are. It's up to you.
Leaving everything behind, what are you left with? That which is always inside you. It'll always guide you, if you l
isten.
Nature itself has power no technology in hundred years will replicate. Power to heal you from the inside out. It is holy.

#34    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Mk,
I don't mean to poop out on you, but I think I've about reached my limit here.
One last anecdote about "prominent persons".

Several years ago at a college computer lab, the programmers were trying to teach a computer to reason.
They gave it access to vast (encyclopedic) resources, including numerous articles on a vast variety of accomplished celebrities.

Then they consulted the computer, to see if it had learned anything.

One of the conclusions was that "everyone is prominent", because it hadn't read any articles about anyone that wasn't; and thus didn't know of any.

#35    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

View Postsear, on 10 April 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I'm all for benefiting humanity.
Is space exploration really the most cost effective approach to benefiting humanity?
Why not instead:
- subsidized health care?
- subsidized therapeutic medical research?
- subsidized high nutrition foods for impoverished locations?
- lower taxes, so instead of spending it on space adventures, the citizens that actually earn the $money can spend it themselves?

Tunnel vision ...

Edited by Tesla II, 13 April 2013 - 10:23 PM.

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

#36    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Like i said million times before... and probably will do so more... just because you look at your life as plainly as you do.. that doesnt mean others will do too.. I think man will be in space very soon, by that i mean colonies or some sort of habitats and they will learn whole bunch of new stuff... Like many have said that in space everything ( metals,rocks.dusts ) is already known to us... yet we havent been on any to make any research. God knows how some new metals or rock compositions were formed on other planets... Hell we can find materials we couldnt even imagine..  So once such discoveries would be made we all would be affected by them and probably benefiting from it.. We have means right now to do colonization of nearby planets but since everything is as you see it and most of humanity we are getting nowhere... only everday routine,war,job,school,fraud,bills... we are paying to live on this planet..and looking only on how will we manage to struggle through this month..

ALL GOV./BANK/CORP. MADE PROBLEMS, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GREEDY instead of being smart.

You will see what i mean in 10 years... there are people who know how beneficial space is...

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users