Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Death scares the crap outa me..and I believe

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

I just thought I'd point out that ghosts don't come about by atheists "not going down the tunnel".

No need to fear death, you'll find that no religion "wins" in the end. I'd say stop worrying about people when they die and help those who need it while they're alive.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

The tunnel is to my knowledge a recent and entirely Western idea.  The Vietnamese think ghosts are spirits of people who died violently before their time, as in accidents or wars or disasters.  When their time comes they will be reborn just like everyone else.

#33    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have some expertise. I have had a triple bypass, a heart attack occurring on the table, my second pacemaker and 10 stents-what is called a full metal jacket. I have been living like this for years-far longer than I ever expected to. I have passed through the stages of dying into one of acceptance. Everything looks different from this perspective and I no longer have the fear associated with dying. Does something come after? I can't say. It doesn't seem important, but I am open to the possibility. When I was young I dreaded this stage but now I am here life is as good, maybe better, than it has ever been. Happiness is at the end of the rainbow.

#34    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,938 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 April 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

First of all, one can be rational and still have irrational beliefs.  In the end anyone who has given it study and a lot of critical thought ends up not believing.  They may not dis-believe, but believing in God is irrational, and in the end believers admit as much by resorting to faith or personal experience or something along those lines.  They believe what they want to believe and they have faith and the idea of God's spirit and of course the community and how they were raised to enfoce it.  None of that makes it rational.
I think you are wrong on this one frank. There are plenty of people that have given it a tremendous amount of study and critical thought, and come to the opposite conclusion. Leaving personal experiences aside for a second. Once one looks deep enough the existence of what some would call god seems to be a near certainty. I'm not talking about a god of any particular religion, I'm speaking of a universal consciousness, The spirit that moves through all things, wakan tanka, Krishna, the great spirit etc etc.

One only needs to understand 2 things to pretty much ensure the existence of something we might call divine. The nature of 'Time' ( which I know we agree on), and evolution. Having a tad bit of knowledge in the quantum mechanics department helps to shed some eronius pits that people fall into though.

Edited by Seeker79, 14 April 2013 - 08:20 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#35    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

"God" is a person -- that is, he or she has personality, individual identity, maybe even emotions and certainly individual thoughts.  God acts in time and in history.  All this is just simply absurd and can be dismissed by people who have not been trapped by the Western religious indoctrination.

What you speak of is something else, and something that I will agree is quite rational, in fact, almost undeniable, but pretty much incomprehensible.  The Tao is the Chinese name for it and when Buddhism entered China they instantly saw the worth of the idea.  It is what natural selection tapped into to give early organisms progressively more and more sentience, to give the mammals emotions and to give us intelligence and free will.  It is what makes karma (in the non-Judgmental Hindu/Buddhist sense) work and gives right and wrong objective reality.  It may even be what makes up the universe (Spinoza-like Einstein thinking).

#36    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

As an atheist I am not afraid of death,  most of the time,  I know that I will simply fade away, cease to exist and not know anything more.  all the pain and problems and misery and taxes and everything  else will simply be Gone. POOF . Every once in a while I temporarily move towards a more uninformed view of the universe. is there a greater plan or something beyond this present realm that I do not and or cannot understand? ..... but the moment I  look out into the universe I see children starving and people dying of disease and war and murder and all the other horsemen who were never given names I return to  unbelief.
   I saw a bumper sticker a while back that said..."So god made me an atheist, who are you to question why."  Nothing personal to anyone here or their beliefs  but if there is some all powerful, all seeing, sadistic, Petulant child punishing his toys because they won't play the way it wants, magic man god out there somewhere then it fits.  and I know that stating what I just stated would have a lot of people pushing the Dislike button if there were one.
  Next to the first sticker was another bumper sticker that said   " Someone has to go to h...  to make heaven worth while.  Might as well be me."

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 14 April 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#37    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I dont frankly know what's on the other side, but I've come to accept death more and more. It's not what's on the other side, nor even what you believe in, not fully, but how you work out your own beliefs. You can throw everything you think you know aside because if you haven't died before, no memories of it, and if you had and remembered, that'd say something wouldn't it.

Death is a release and alleviation of universal living space in this realm we live in. When death takes, new space is opened for new life to flourish, and the new space is needed because this realm can support only a limited number of life due to living things eating each other and having personal conflicts. So through death we find new life. Just like through replacing old ideas in science with newer ones we find more enlightment.

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

#38    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

the simple answer  is  the  hardest  to  swallow ...   a  dimension  has  at  least  these  three  qualitys ...  1)an  infinite quality ...  that  is  the  2) finite quality  multiplied  and  infinite  number  of  times.    3) the  base  quality  is  a system  of  measurement  as  much  as a quality...

eternity for  exsample   is   a  moment that  repeats  and  infinite  number  of  times ...   the  period  of  the  change  is  time (  the base )

infinite space ...   is  a  single  location   repeated  a infinite  number  of  times ....  space is  as  much  the  unit  of  measure  as  it  is  anything  else ...

as  for  god ...   that  is  hard  to  nail  down  untill  you  look at  what  a personaly awareness  really  is ...  it  is  a condition  of  orderly  behaviors , unique  to  a place  and a time .   its  more  than a interface  between  time  an space...   but  it  is  written  upon  that  interface ...   inbetween  the  mind  and  the body...  

the  mind  lives  in  time  and history....   the  body  occupies  space  and  size or  location ...   that  infinite multiplier  makes  little  sense  untill  you  see  the  whole  universe  as  the  thing  that  repeats   ....

you  personaly  are  a  tiny  part  of  a thing  that  repeats  eternaly...   and  as a fraction  of  a  infinite  thing...  you  personaly  are  eternal ....   except  as  you  are  disorderly  to  the  whole ...   that  part  is  inverse  to  the  infinite,   or  void ...

christians  call  that   sin...

but  frankly speaking...  a christian   will  never  understand  or  even  beable  to read  this...  for  fear  it  might  make sense...   and  not  be  in  the  bible ...  and  muslims  will  want  to kill  me  if  they  think  it  makes  sense ...

but  the  simple  truth  is...   this  is  not  just  true , it  is  a word  discription  of  a computer  model ,  that  discribes  the  physic's  with  precsion of  reality ...  frankly speaking ,  scream  at  me  all  you like...  this  is  simply  the  way  it  is  with  or  with out  your  bible  or  beleif system ....   and  for  the  athiest...   bad  news...  there  is  a god , and  he  really  does  love  you .

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

We might as well accept death; we have no choice in the matter.

#40    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

infinite  space  is  one dimension ...   awareness  is  the  transdimension ...  time  is  the  other  dimension ,  each  personal  awareness  is  the  interface  between  a  mind  that  feels  and records  change  ,  and  meters  time  as change happens...

and  the  interface  with  the  body  that  has  location  ,  weight  and  measure of  space .

awareness  / soul  or  person-hood  is  not  either  body  or  mind...   a  death  body   lacks   awareness...   but  a person playing  a mmorpg  is  very  much  aware ...   because  their  being  is   in  the  space  of  the  cyber-space .

practicaly speaking...   god  is  real  and  i can measure  him/her ... define god  and  its  not  that  hard , getting  god  to fit  a computer  model  is  a bit  harder ,  but  only a bit harder .   getting  god  to  fit  the  easter bunny  and  santa claus   is  something  i  will  leave  to  church's ...   frankly speaking,  religon  as a class  of  behavior  needs  to  hide  behind mystery  so  people  stop  thinking ...   very  much  like  the  goverment  hides   ufo data  / reports  and  evidance .

#41    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

...  death  is  over  rated ...
your  awareness  is  a  reincarnation  of  a  eternal soul ....   the  wow news is " you always  come  back  as  you , and  you live  the  same  life ,  eternaly  being  you ..."   you  do  not  live  10 , oo  diffrent  lives...    you always  live  the  same  life  your living  right  this  moment...  

...in other  words...

your  eternal  you talks  to you all  the  time...   its  that  still  soft  voice  in  the  back  of  your  head  telling  you  not  to  go  out  on  this  date...   because  you  know  whats  going  to happen  even  before  you get  in  the  car.

#42    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,938 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 April 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

"God" is a person -- that is, he or she has personality, individual identity, maybe even emotions and certainly individual thoughts.  God acts in time and in history.  All this is just simply absurd and can be dismissed by people who have not been trapped by the Western religious indoctrination.

What you speak of is something else, and something that I will agree is quite rational, in fact, almost undeniable, but pretty much incomprehensible.  The Tao is the Chinese name for it and when Buddhism entered China they instantly saw the worth of the idea.  It is what natural selection tapped into to give early organisms progressively more and more sentience, to give the mammals emotions and to give us intelligence and free will.  It is what makes karma (in the non-Judgmental Hindu/Buddhist sense) work and gives right and wrong objective reality.  It may even be what makes up the universe (Spinoza-like Einstein thinking).
Well.... Yes. I however am not inclined to totally dismiss the possibility of a superconcious personality. Indeed it would seem that evolution of 25x10^300000000 billion years might be capable of evolving a divne like being or two.... Or ten.

Consciousness is very stable once it can consciously evolve itself it's an exponential explosion. The only things that exist into the future are things that are stable or can reproduce themselves and evolve as conditions evolve. Of course give an infinite amount of 'time' before ours this means it's already happened and we are most likely living within it and apart of it.  There are dozens of ways for a divine like being to fall out of enough evolution. I have often wondered if life on earth is actually a developing embrio of a much larger and sophisticated life form. But these musings are irelevant. It is not illogical to believe in divinity. In the end it is not going to bend to the anthropomorphic tendencys of man, but that does not mean it has consciousness that is dispersonal. Indeed if I knew the bacteria in my stomach were living thinking emotional beings, i would want to have a relationship with them. After all they are apart of me.

Edited by Seeker79, 14 April 2013 - 02:46 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#43    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

...get  over  it...

you know  what  i  am saying  is  the  truth ,  just  reading  it...  something  in  you  is  jerking  back ,  making  you  blink .

the  simple  truth  is  the  hardest  thing  in  the  world  to  understand ,  you want  it  to  be more ,  or  diffrent...  or  complex .

its  not  hard  to understand  or  see...   but  you do  need  to open  your  eyes  and  stop  trying  to   make  up  magical  spirits  and  spooks...   fantacy  is  so  much  more  fun...  but  see  with  your  eyes  ,  feel  with  your  heart ,  think  with  your  brain...  do  not  confuse  the roles....

#44    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

you do  not  need  billions  of years...   you  do  not  need  evolution...   you  need  two  or  more  dimension ...   and  the  force  function  of  a crystal amino asid  ...   driven  into  reality  by  order ...    an  eternal  order  which  is  more  than  everything....  and  your  a  peice  of  it...   you  look  like  it...   your patterned  after  it...

#45    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well okay, I can accept the idea of the Tao being a sort-of evolved life form, but I doubt it.  It seems to me much too anthropomorphic and unnecessary.  It just is.  There is no need to worry about where it came from because it didn't.

The Buddha rejected questions of this sort -- it is asking where the poison arrow was made -- but Buddhism in China merges so easily with Taoist philosophy (more difficulty with Taoist religion) that the two seem to each solve the riddle the other leaves alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users