Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

PC sales have suffered a record breaking 14% decline over the last quarter  and many are blaming Windows 8.  There are other reasons such as tablets and smartphones stealing market share but 14% is mind boggling, especially when a new OS is introduced.

I personally like Windows 8 but feel the metro start menu is counterproductive on a tradictional PC.  It is disconcerting enough that I have told my customers, that are not enthusiasts, to steer clear of Windows 8 and selfishly the reason is I don't want the angry, frustrated phone calls when they can't turn off their computers or figure out where word is followed by negative Angie's List ratings.

Windows Blue (or 8.1) was hoped to be a mea-culpa from MS and a return, even if just an option, to the traditional start menu but all indicators are MS is doubling down on metro (the name keeps changing but who cares at this point) andmaking the desktop even more distant.  If touchscreens on desktop were everywhere then metro may be a good thing  but that isn't the case and the option to shift to the start menu instead should be there.

This is a sad state of affairs because Windows 8 really is a stable, fast and secure OS that improves many things from Windows 7.  Other than the Start screen thing I love it but if MS hunkers down and forces the issue it is going to change the PC world forever and not for the better.  

http://www.extremete...line-in-history

Edited by Merc14, 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM.

"Embrace the suck"

#2    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Going to stick with Windows 7 here, just can't use Windows 8 at all, and I think it will probably end up like the Atari 2600 version of ET (which brought about the decline of the video game industry) if MS can't somehow rescue it. I hope they do though, I would like to begin getting new components for my desktop that run well with a great new OS. Maybe Windows 9 will be better.

Edited by WoIverine, 11 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#3    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Windows 7 here as well. Can't see the point in the Windows 8 interface without a touch screen. \

PC's have been predicted to die for decades. Windows based PC's survived Windows ME and Vista. They'll survive 8. There are things that cannot be done on anything but a fast desktop system.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,534 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I stuck with XP for ages and only late last year moved to Windows 7.  I see no benefit in moving to 8 unless I need a touch screen and I have physical difficulties that probably would rule that out.  As far as the "start" brouhaha is concerned, I've seen plenty of freeware that is supposed to put that back if one really misses it.

My view is to let things like this percolate before making the investment: let them work out the issues.  What is the saying -- those on the bleeding edge do the bleeding.

It is pretty plain that PCs are not going to dominate in future as they have in past.  They are great for desktops but I like my little android reader for laying in bed curled up with what once would have been a book, but now is a library that keeps track of where I left off on over a dozen books.

#5    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm still on Vista and my computer was playing Daiblo perfectly.  Now that it's 7 years old I'm looking to replace it though.  I also have a windows phone and I think the transfer to Windows 8 will be  similar, from what I've seen.  I for one will look forward to trying out Windows 8.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'll stay with 7 on PC's. 8 is for tablets and touch screens. However I doubt it is affecting sales, maybe of pre built machines as more people are building their own now (I mean most would choose 7 over 8 for gaming systems etc) or buying parts and getting someone else to do it. It's not exactly difficult.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I just bought a laptop with windows 8. I must say as is windows 8 sux. But I brought it back to what I am use to. It's so much easier to work with the older settings. And now I love it!

Posted Image

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#8    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,350 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and it's just fine for me since I'm an IT monkey at work and I also worked at Microsoft for a couple of decades on the Windows team. Windows 8 is the first MS OS that I haven't seen years before its completion.

I have a WIndows 8 Surface Pro... so it's the full Windows version (not RT) and I really like it on my tablet! It's super fast, easy to use and runs on a touch screen tablet VERY well. I like it WAY better than the iPad for that application.

Would I want WIndows 8 on my full desktop/laptop? I don't think so. But I'm not doing your average user tasks a lot of the time. I'm a power user. I'd recommend Windows 8 to a user who just wants email, web browsing, Office, and a game or two. Id definitely avoid it in the enterprise or for true productivity. Kind of like I avoid Macs for the enterprise and productivity.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#9    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

oh i forgot to add, it takes me about just less than 2 hours to back up one of my dvd movies on windows 8. I don't know if it's the laptop or if it's windows 8. Other than that I love windows 8

Posted Image

PitchP

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

The PC is hardly dying off and its lower sales are hardly to do with Windows 8; what nonsense. The reason for lower sales is the rise of phone and tablet computers, not Windows 8. The article mentions this but seems to place Windows 8 above tablets in the blame game, when in reality Windows 8 has practically nothing to do with it due to it itself being created as a means to support the aforementioned tablets.

And for any sort of resource heavy task, you still need a PC.

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostMac E, on 11 April 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I'm still on Vista and my computer was playing Daiblo perfectly.  Now that it's 7 years old I'm looking to replace it though.  I also have a windows phone and I think the transfer to Windows 8 will be  similar, from what I've seen.  I for one will look forward to trying out Windows 8.

Just updated my rig to ivybridge quad core with a h77 chipset, 120GB SSD for the OS and a 7870 vid card running WIndows 8 with 8GB of memory.  The whole new system cost me $480 including Windows 8 (got the pro version fior $40 at intro and used my old Lian Li case, PC P&C PSU and hard drives etc.).   I have to say it is blindingly fast and immensely powerful.  I didn't even bother overclocking (h77 isn''t an overclocking chipset) because the base clock is 3.2GHz! .  Just amazing what you can get for $200 nowadays.  Look for speciasl on te Egg and get them and when you have al the parts build.

View PostExpandMyMind, on 11 April 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

The PC is hardly dying off and its lower sales are hardly to do with Windows 8; what nonsense. The reason for lower sales is the rise of phone and tablet computers, not Windows 8. The article mentions this but seems to place Windows 8 above tablets in the blame game, when in reality Windows 8 has practically nothing to do with it due to it itself being created as a means to support the aforementioned tablets.

And for any sort of resource heavy task, you still need a PC.

Everyone understands that tablets and phones, as well as powerful but cheap laptops, are chipping away at the desktop market and IDC was predicting a 7+% decline last quarter but 14% shocked them and research is showing that  8 is a prime contributor.

"Embrace the suck"

#12    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostMerc14, on 11 April 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Just updated my rig to ivybridge quad core with a h77 chipset, 120GB SSD for the OS and a 7870 vid card running WIndows 8 with 8GB of memory.  The whole new system cost me $480 including Windows 8 (got the pro version fior $40 at intro and used my old Lian Li case, PC P&C PSU and hard drives etc.).   I have to say it is blindingly fast and immensely powerful.  I didn't even bother overclocking (h77 isn''t an overclocking chipset) because the base clock is 3.2GHz! .  Just amazing what you can get for $200 nowadays.  Look for speciasl on te Egg and get them and when you have al the parts build.

Everyone understands that tablets and phones, as well as powerful but cheap laptops, are chipping away at the desktop market and IDC was predicting a 7+% decline last quarter but 14% shocked them and research is showing that  8 is a prime contributor.

A decline of 14% (7% more than predicted) can in no way be automatically attributed to Windows 8. It might have literally nothing to do with it, and the perceived causative correlation is nothing more than coincidence. Until someone can prove causation then it is just an unexpected jump due to the coincidence of Windows 8 being released around the same time as the massive tablet boom we are all witnessing. What you have implied is that an entire half of tablet users bought tablets due to Windows 8.

#13    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I forgot to mention, even though I customised my windows 8, I also like the metro start screen, but by default my laptop now starts up (auto login) on to the desktop. Windows 8 is definately very nice to use, and easy to customise the whole system to the user's taste.

Windows 8 with the Metro Start screen

Posted Image

Windows 8 with Start button

Posted Image

Windows 8 Start Menu

Posted Image

Edited by pitchp, 11 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

PitchP

#14    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,610 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

I am attempting to be the last and final Win XP sp3 user in the world .... :yes:

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,534 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

How would this work on Windows 8:

I have a script I wrote that changes the wallpaper randomly out of a collection exceeding 20,000 ever thirty seconds or so.  Consequently when I am not using the computer I get this rotating pretty picure (a REALLY large monitor -- actually a TV) and all the icons and so on are gone (I don;t use desktop icons but the start menu for everything).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users