Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#16    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I also love windows xp. I got windows xp on my PC but since my 80cm lcd broke down and it's in for repairs. I had no internet. So i had to buy an asus laptop for internet usage. Expected time for my lcd screen to be fixed is 2 months. Thank god it's still under warranty. Anyways, since I've been trying to learn how to work with this laptop(windows 8), I really am starting to like it. However to back up a dvd movie on my PC takes less than 45 mins, and for the laptop it's less than 2 hours! I know, I know. Laptop vs PC is just two different things. I just thought with todays advancement, i was really hoping that the laptop would one day over come the power of a PC

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#17    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 April 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

How would this work on Windows 8:

I have a script I wrote that changes the wallpaper randomly out of a collection exceeding 20,000 ever thirty seconds or so.  Consequently when I am not using the computer I get this rotating pretty picure (a REALLY large monitor -- actually a TV) and all the icons and so on are gone (I don;t use desktop icons but the start menu for everything).

what script is it? post the script

PitchP

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,758 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I kinda would rather not cause I "borrowed" a lot of it.  All it does is switch the wallpaper to a file taken randomly from a directory.

#19    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

fair enough

PitchP

#20    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,467 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 11 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

A decline of 14% (7% more than predicted) can in no way be automatically attributed to Windows 8. It might have literally nothing to do with it, and the perceived causative correlation is nothing more than coincidence. Until someone can prove causation then it is just an unexpected jump due to the coincidence of Windows 8 being released around the same time as the massive tablet boom we are all witnessing. What you have implied is that an entire half of tablet users bought tablets due to Windows 8.

Well, then your opinion differes with teh manufacturers, the research firms that study the industry and every tech writer out there but we are all entiotled to our opinions I guess.

- WIndows 8 debuts to scathing criticism and PC sales fall out the bottom.
- Since Core 2, upgrading isn't the necessity it once was.
- Apple hasn't been effected
- Manufacturers are pointing the finger at Win 8.
- Intel introduced their best equipment ever.

Draw your own conclusions.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#21    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,467 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postpitchp, on 11 April 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

I also love windows xp. I got windows xp on my PC but since my 80cm lcd broke down and it's in for repairs. I had no internet. So i had to buy an asus laptop for internet usage. Expected time for my lcd screen to be fixed is 2 months. Thank god it's still under warranty. Anyways, since I've been trying to learn how to work with this laptop(windows 8), I really am starting to like it. However to back up a dvd movie on my PC takes less than 45 mins, and for the laptop it's less than 2 hours! I know, I know. Laptop vs PC is just two different things. I just thought with todays advancement, i was really hoping that the laptop would one day over come the power of a PC

Something is wrong there.  What CPU are you running in each of teh machines, how much memory in each?

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#22    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostMerc14, on 11 April 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Something is wrong there.  What CPU are you running in each of teh machines, how much memory in each?

I know tell me about it! :( The laptop is more powerful than my PC. Except i don't know the specs of my dvd burner on my laptop. I know I got the fastest dvd burner on my PC, but I'm now thinking the the laptop burner could be the culprit

PitchP

#23    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,605 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

From what I had read, Windows 8 Metro seems to be less than sufficient OS for tablets, and even worse when installed on, say, a previous Win7 desktop, for those ( like myself) who enjoy the Win7 interface.

I have also heard 2 things(and please don't qoute me on this, as I do not now how factual my statements are)
First, Win8 Metro was not intended for a non-touchscreen desktop.

Secondly, perhaps more importantly, there is a "non-Metro version of Win8 that works fine on regular computers, without the touch-screen interface, and there are 3rd party apps to bring your deskktop back alive, back to a pseudo Win7 experience, preserving whatever benefits Win8 proclaims.

Currently, my two machines, one a laptop and the other a desktop, have Win7 premium on the laptop, and Win7 Professional on the desktop.

I'm happy with them, I still get updates, and I view Win8 almost like the b****** VISTA. Could be wrong, of course.

I will stick with Win7 for now.

Edited by pallidin, 11 April 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#24    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

PitchP

#25    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,467 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postpitchp, on 11 April 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

I know tell me about it! :( The laptop is more powerful than my PC. Except i don't know the specs of my dvd burner on my laptop. I know I got the fastest dvd burner on my PC, but I'm now thinking the the laptop burner could be the culprit

I know that most laptops have a 5400RPM hard drive which slows things down a bit so I always clone to at least a 7200RPM and an SSD is even better. That wouldn't account for 2 hours though, so check the power management and make sure it isn't allowing the CPU to slow down to 700MHz or something.  You can download CPUz from CPUID.com and launch it to monitor the CPU frequency while encoding.   Also have the task manager up so you can watch memory usage.

If it is a new Intel ivybridge it will have code that significanlty speeds up encoding so make sure that is enabled in BIOS or UEFI, whichever you have.

#26    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

cool thanks merc! will do :yes:

PitchP

#27    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Windows 8's criticisms are largely unjust. It has the EXACT SAME interface as Windows 7, minus that start button. Windows Tiles are optional. The load-up times are much faster. The OS seems to use less resources. Nearly all Windows 7 programs were immediately compatible. Really, the only complaints I've seen are "I don't like it." and "It's bad for business." with little to no factual evidence.

The first article I found on Google summed up what I mean fairly well.

http://www.zdnet.com...led-7000012104/

A brief summary:

Windows 8 is bad because -
  • Metro is ugly (opinion)
  • It isn't innovative enough (just faster and more stable)
  • Developers hate it (because Live integration and the Windows Marketplace bring in competition)
  • People aren't upgrading (why this has anything to do with OS quality, I don't know.)
  • There is more competition in the market (same as no. 4)

#28    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

unless Win8 comes with free upgrades of 'native' applications/programs .... I ain't budging

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#29    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,808 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Ok so when I read what defined a PC it made everything clear. People are switching to build your own PCs. Also the fact that PCs these days can be kept for quite a while before an upgrade of an internal component is even needed.

This is a horribly written article. The people who would normally buy these pre-built pcs are usually not the most tech savvy out there and those people have turned to laptops and tablet pcs. Though you should look at the internal component market before pointing any fingers.

Also don't ignore the fact that the popularity of gaming is increasing. So people tend to build their own based on their needs as opposed to buying some pre built pc.

Windows 8 with the start menu orb is actually a better alternative than Windows 7. Especially regarding performance. Also due to the gap of windows 7 and 8. One does not find the upgrade absolutely necessary.

I recently acquired a windows surface RT. This comes with windows 8. Now what I have experience so far has been fixed with updates and I even bumped into a bug where my updates in the Microsoft Store were stuck on Pending. I was able to run a fix from the settings which resolved the errors associated with this quite quickly. I was quite impressed. Bravo Microsoft I say.

Everyone is hesitant to upgrade at first due to all the bs always shovelled out after each release. But eventually everyone realises it is actually better. I'd admit, I was one of those people. Within the next week I will acquire a copy of windows 8 from my university and install on my desktop pc.

#30    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I hate Windows Metro too. It is like looking at a friggin oversized iPhone. Ridiculous!
On the other hand, I don´t think it is within Microsofts Power to kill the PC. The market is what it is. If there enough people who want a PC and not a giant iPhone, the market will produce it, and screw MS.

Edited by Zaphod222, 11 April 2013 - 11:50 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users