Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

This is off topic but pitchp got me looking and this is hilarious.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#62    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostMerc14, on 14 April 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

You have to admit they had some very good ads.  I was laughing at a bunch of them like the virus one where he crashes. ;)

I'm too old now for a mac or a groovy kinda lifestyle. I'm done hanging on to my 20's lol. I gotta grow up some time. But i must admit having those grooving or cool things does make one feel young.

One thing I have noticed between the mac users and pc users(windows). Is when there is a new OS that just been released. The mac users are so eager to try it and give it a go, and once they have installed it, they customised their OS to their liking. As for the PC users, they tend to be more hesitant, they tend to have fear. Remember the windows 98 days when they released Windows XP, the general PC users were like no, I love my windows 98, I'm going to stick to it for awhile. Then eventually as time moves on they eventually install windows XP.  The PC users are more driven in fear, either they are scared in learning a new product or they feel to lazy to learn something new, and they feel safe with the old. I don't know it's just something I noticed with the general PC users. I gotta admit I am a PC user lol. :D

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#63    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,901 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Win97 and Win98 didn't last a week on my PC ... I was still happy with Linux then ....

Then the Red Hat heads got a little too big for their little red hats ...

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#64    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

guys I think I found the cause of PC sales to drop. It's not because of Windows 8. It's these new devices called tablets. I don't have one. I don't think i would need one either. Would I????

http://www.theaustra...x-1226596069501

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/

http://reviews.cnet.com/ipad/

Edited by pitchp, 14 April 2013 - 01:22 AM.

PitchP

#65    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,386 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 11 April 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I am attempting to be the last and final Win XP sp3 user in the world .... :yes:

You got some competition here! :su

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
http://www.astrology...ead.php?t=81593
http://www.astrology...&pictureid=6193

#66    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 14 April 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

Win97 and Win98 didn't last a week on my PC ... I was still happy with Linux then ....

Then the Red Hat heads got a little too big for their little red hats ...

OK, I think you bunch of irredeemable Luddites will appreciate this story.  I got a call from a lady who said her 12 year old computer wouldn't connect to the internet. "Mam, you need to replace it" I said. She was a great gal and we talked and I said yes, I'd take a look but the patient may die on the table so I can't be responsible.  She signed some paperwork to that effect and I brought the machine home and finally got a look.  It is a Dell Optiplex GX150, circa 2001, sporting a Pentium III and a whopping 256MB of DDR133 memory with a max capacity of 512MB (I think this is before dual channel). She had someone load XP on it in 2009 or 2010 so you can imagine the speed.

I popped it open expecting the worst (these guys open like a clamshell)  and my jaw dropped.  I was expecting dust irish-wolfhounds and that nasty, sticky stuff you get all over everything but this old Dell is absolutely pristine!  Shiny new! I blew a bit of canned air in because, damn it, that's my bloody job and there has to be something but there wasn't!   She had it in controlled storage for nearly a decade and turns it on an hour a week so there isn't a bit of dust in the thing. This is the proverbial "An old lady who owned it and only drove it to church every Sunday."  LMAO.

She gave me the OS reinstall CD and it is Win 98SE.   LOL.  I only hope XP isn't pirated but if it is I'll get her a licensed copy as I am sure I have one somewhere.  

I really like her and the machine is an anomaly so this will be fun.  I ordered another 256MB from Ebay to max this baby out and I promised I'd clean it up and get it working great. Normally I'd say no to this job but I am so glad I didn't.  Check out this review of the OptiPlex GX150  http://www.pcworld.c...66/article.html  I'll post some photos later so you can see how new this thing looks. I started the thread so I guess I can hijack it.

Edited by Merc14, 14 April 2013 - 03:12 AM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#67    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

nice story merc! do post some pics. I hope you get to revive it! hehe it's like working on vintage cars lol

PitchP

#68    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,901 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

pimp my PC ... Monster PUTERs ... yeah I like it :lol:

~edit : I remember my first getup on WinXp was a 512MB Amd K6, runs fine for the internet ...

needs a decent accelerated V card to share the load though ...

@Merc14

That DeLL can pump a Gig of RAM can't it ?

Edited by third_eye, 14 April 2013 - 07:25 AM.

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#69    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

I would think something like that in vintage condition would be quite valuable; don't touch it.

#70    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

If microsoft improbably managed kill of the PC they would be killing themselves.I don't see it happening far to many businesses rely on windows operating systems and software. They don't have too... but they dO.

#71    paperdyer

paperdyer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

I had to buy a new computer.  It had Win 8 on it.  I hate Win 8.  Yes, it's fast but has bugs.  I purchased Office 2013.  I went to log into my Microsoft account, the sign in just sit there and hangs or say it can't find the Sharepoint site.  As Win 8 wants to use the "cloud" for storage on portable devices, if you connection goes down all you have is a portable paperweight.

#72    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I didn't like it when the command line gave way to a graphical interface.  Indeed, I also didn't like it when my desk comptometer was replaced by a little portable calculator.

Now we have touch screens and I hate them.  Give me back my keyboard!

You can see why they never put me in charge of product development.

#73    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 14 April 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

pimp my PC ... Monster PUTERs ... yeah I like it :lol:

~edit : I remember my first getup on WinXp was a 512MB Amd K6, runs fine for the internet ...

needs a decent accelerated V card to share the load though ...

@Merc14

That DeLL can pump a Gig of RAM can't it ?

Dell says 512MB

#74    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Here are some photos of that vintage computer I was writing about.  Check out how clean everything is.  I shot a bit of canned air in there but not enough to even chill the can. The thing looks  out of the box new:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Merc14, 14 April 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#75    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

i for one would not switch working on pc to install new crappy windows
windows 7 64-bit works perfectly in everything i need it
am not into installing new windows everytime some new product hit the market
i jumped from xp to win7 just recently :D without ever installing vista

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users