Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is WIndows 8 killing off the PC?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#76    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Well when they roll out the Windows 8.1 version. I'm afraid there will be little more for people to complain about.

#77    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 17 April 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Well when they roll out the Windows 8.1 version. I'm afraid there will be little more for people to complain about.

Concur.  It looks like MS is sticking to their guns.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#78    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Windows 8.1 rumored to bring back start button and traditional desktop.

http://www.engadget....on-and-desktop/

#79    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostWoIverine, on 17 April 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Windows 8.1 rumored to bring back start button and traditional desktop.

http://www.engadget....on-and-desktop/
I read that today.  Still a rumor but maybe they have gotten the message.

#80    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,769 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostMerc14, on 18 April 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

I read that today.  Still a rumor but maybe they have gotten the message.

I saw some screenshots of current developments. They have Implemented a type of start button on the metro screen. Have not seen the orb yet but they have a couple months more development to work at it.

#81    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 18 April 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I saw some screenshots of current developments. They have Implemented a type of start button on the metro screen. Have not seen the orb yet but they have a couple months more development to work at it.
  Al I read was that there was menu item (possibly the same thing you are referring to) that allows you to select between traditional and Touch.   This is what they should've had to begin with and let teh start menu die a natural death, if that is it's fate. Without ubiquitous touchscreens, metro was doomed.

#82    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

People need time to get use to new things.

#83    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

People need time to get use to new things.

I've gotten use to it but it is not the best way to run a mouse driven computer and that is what is important.   Also, if it is so vital then that metro remain in the OS then make the start menu an option,it can't be that hard as there are many utilities available that can do this now.  The big fish in the tank here is corporate computers and there is where getting people used to something like Metro is a showstopper.  It would coast huge money and thousands of hours of taring and troubleshooting.  Too horrible to even contemplate hence the terrible reception a good OS has gotten.

#84    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

This latest from Paul Thurrott's daily email:

Yes, Virginia, Microsoft Is Bringing the Start Button Back to Windows 8
And it’s going to let you boot to the desktop, bypassing the loathed new Start screen, too. I’ve confirmed these rumors with my own sources, as has my Windows Weekly co-host Mary Jo Foley, so I think we can move this one into the “fact” category, though of course details about how these changes will be implemented remain foggy. I do find it interesting that Microsoft CFO Peter Klein, while not explicitly acknowledging the changes, did oddly admit that the company update to Windows 8—called Windows 8.1 and code-named “Blue”—will include changes guided by “customer feedback.” I’m of two minds regarding this news. On the one hand, I’m glad Microsoft is finally listening to customers, many of whom have been very clear that Windows 8 as currently implemented isn't hugely interesting to them because of its too-radical design change. But on the other hand, what the heck, Microsoft? What took so damned long? The past six years—the Sinofsky regime, basically—are most obviously marked (to me, at least) by the Windows division’s abject disinterest in customer feedback. No, not disinterest. Disdain. And I really do hope that’s changing. This is a black mark that the company, and Windows, will find it hard to recover from.

He is usually spot-on so this thread can hibernate till fall, I guess, and we'll see if MS can revive the ugly OS.  I thnk with a traditional desktop, Windows 8 will be a real crowd pleaser that I would readily recommend.  Fast, stable, secure and easy work with and save from disaster.

They need to reintroduce the $39.99 special with Blue's release and kick start this thing back into the mainstream.  If they do I'll move teh rest of my computers over.

Edited by Merc14, 19 April 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#85    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well, I was forced to upgrade again, luckily only my motherboard was affected though. Never tighten down a heatsink fan cooler too much, always leave as much slack in the screws as possible with it still being secure to the board. My idea was, well...the cpu fan is still wobbly, maybe just a little tighter, but nope, it bent some motherboard pins and caused non-post issues.

Edited by WoIverine, 06 May 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#86    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 06 May 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Well, I was forced to upgrade again, luckily only my motherboard was affected though. Never tighten down a heatsink fan cooler too much, always leave as much slack in the screws as possible with it still being secure to the board. My idea was, well...the cpu fan is still wobbly, maybe just a little tighter, but nope, it bent some motherboard pins and caused non-post issues.

Bummer..  Was it an expensive board?

Edited by Merc14, 06 May 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#87    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostMerc14, on 06 May 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Bummer..  Was it an expensive board?

Yeah, at the time it was a little pricey, around $350. I remember something about the processor just not sitting correctly when I got it originally. I think maybe it always had bent pins already, but my heatsink probably made it worse. >_<

Edited by WoIverine, 07 May 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#88    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostWoIverine, on 07 May 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

Yeah, at the time it was a little pricey, around $350. I remember something about the processor just not sitting correctly when I got it originally. I think maybe it always had bent pins already, but my heatsink probably made it worse. >_<

Yeah, that was a nice mobo.  Feel for ya bud but as the Obama campaign said, never let a good crisis go to waste so maybe the computer Gods are saying "Time for you to move to 22nm goodness my son!!"  The new stuff is really amazing. :yes:

#89    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostMerc14, on 07 May 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Yeah, that was a nice mobo.  Feel for ya bud but as the Obama campaign said, never let a good crisis go to waste so maybe the computer Gods are saying "Time for you to move to 22nm goodness my son!!"  The new stuff is really amazing. :yes:

I saw they were the Ivy series. I was thinking I'd get a leg up and jump at the 2011 socket chips, but now I think I'll hold off on that and wait to see what happens. I had no idea they were already at the 22nm level, that is awesome.

Edited by WoIverine, 07 May 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#90    jake1967

jake1967

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

I bought my kid a windows 8 notebook. Asus. Nice laptop..but couldn't get around on it without some difficutly. I contacted a friend who works for IBM and he suggested downloading   'Classic Shell'  I googled and  installed that..brought the start button back..beautiful!! Highly recommend!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users