Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Mantis Shrimp

mantis shrimp blood-soaked rainbows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I read this and found it humorous, thought I'd share.

Why the Mantis Shrimp is my New Favorite Animal
http://theoatmeal.co...s/mantis_shrimp

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,979 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Colorful little thing, too bad we can't see all his colors.

#3    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Not just colors, but polarized light, multispectral, ultraviolet, maybe even circular polarized light.

Wiki had this, The species Gonodactylus smithii is the only organism known to simultaneously detect the four linear and two circular polarization components required for Stokes parameters, which yield a full description of polarization. It is thus believed to have optimal polarization vision.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#4    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

We can see all the colors. Don't worry. However, our perception of them is the difference.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Awesome!

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#6    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Oh yeah, crazy bad to watch these guys in action.
Never knew about their vision, just their power, very interesting!
Wonder why they have such amazing color vision and if any other animals compare?

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I wanted a couple of these for my fish tank actually ,but they are not good for certain habitats . They eat some of the stuff I kept as a pet .

Miss me?

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Amazing little creature. Nice post. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 11 April 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Oh yeah, crazy bad to watch these guys in action.
Never knew about their vision, just their power, very interesting!
Wonder why they have such amazing color vision and if any other animals compare?

Seeing polarized light is useful in an aquatic environment.  There are a fair number of sea creatures whose bodies are transparent, and are quite difficult to see in the water using our eyes, but they cannot avoid having the light that passes through get polarized by sugar molecules or other compounds that are there.  Having the ability to see polarized light then lets them see these creatures fairly well.  I think such visual ability is common among arthropods and insects.

Probably the 16 receptors are not for other colors in a sense, but receptors for polarized light, which we could consider a color I guess.  So if there is 4 linear and 2 circular polarized light, 6 of their receptors might be just for that.  Then three for the usual colors we can see, leaving 7 which could be for ultraviolet.

http://en.wikipedia....tis_shrimp#Eyes

#10    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostInsanity, on 11 April 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Seeing polarized light is useful in an aquatic environment.  There are a fair number of sea creatures whose bodies are transparent, and are quite difficult to see in the water using our eyes, but they cannot avoid having the light that passes through get polarized by sugar molecules or other compounds that are there.  Having the ability to see polarized light then lets them see these creatures fairly well.  I think such visual ability is common among arthropods and insects.

Probably the 16 receptors are not for other colors in a sense, but receptors for polarized light, which we could consider a color I guess.  So if there is 4 linear and 2 circular polarized light, 6 of their receptors might be just for that.  Then three for the usual colors we can see, leaving 7 which could be for ultraviolet.

http://en.wikipedia....tis_shrimp#Eyes

Like liking to fish with polarized sunglasses.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#11    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 11 April 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

I wanted a couple of these for my fish tank actually ,but they are not good for certain habitats . They eat some of the stuff I kept as a pet .
I think some acrylic tanks can manage them, but that won't stop them from eating everything else in the tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users