Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay man arrested at hospital

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Even in an operating theater medical personnel are told to speak repectfully around sedated patients as though they are awake, alert, and aware of what is going on.  There are different levels of unconsciousness.

#17    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postaztek, on 11 April 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

lol, no he doesn't, have you ever been in coma?

This guy has and he says differently:

http://www.independe...ord-415327.html

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#18    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 11 April 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

There are different levels of unconsciousness.

As the politics forum shows.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#19    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostHilander, on 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

They had each others power of attorney but a family member didn't like him being there.
Sounds like a lawsuit to me against the hospital if the Power of Attorney is properly set up.

Man plans and God laughs.

#20    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,975 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Then why do doctors encourage people to talk to coma patients?  Why do they leave the TV on in coma wards?

I think it's a random chance type thing.  Rarely when I dream I overhear voices if they're talking in the same room inside of my dream.  It's kind of strange but it does happen.  Never been in a coma so I can't say for sure if the same applies to that.

#21    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's really cruel of the ill persons family.  The last thing you want to do to some one in a hospital is take away their support and loved ones.  It's sickening that the family is only thinking of themselves and not the patient.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#22    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

I'm a supporter on gay marriage, but just for the sake of argument, had this couple been legally married, would the outcome had been any different?

It didn't seem like the hospital was listening to the man, regardless of his legal status.

#23    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

I hope the partner sues.
It's one step forward for equality.
You can bet your ass that once a lawsuit is slapped down, hospitals and businesses alike, will be listening a little better.
Ignorance.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,416 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

View Postsupervike, on 12 April 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

I'm a supporter on gay marriage, but just for the sake of argument, had this couple been legally married, would the outcome had been any different?

It didn't seem like the hospital was listening to the man, regardless of his legal status.
I doubt they'd have sided with the family over the spouse if the spouse was a woman.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#25    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,681 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

i am not a supporter of changing the definition of marriage, but that was only because i thought we, as the human race, have gotten over biggotry. This article proves otherwise.

#26    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 2,056 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

I saw this on the news the hospital's spin was the guy was makeing a scene.
But i bet thats bull.

#27    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostCoffey, on 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Disgusting... Absolutely shocking.

If the guy in hospital signed power of attorney to his partner then it's his choice who visits him not his families. This is BS.

I also never understood how a family can be like that. Even if you are against homosexuality, you still love that person if they are family and should just accept their choice of partner and welcome them to the fmaily. What the hell do they expect to happen from this?!

Damn if I was in this situation and recovered fully my family would know damn fine how angry I was about it. All they are going to do is hurt everyone and it will come back on them. Stupid.

I don't care if people don't want to accept homosexuality, it's their choice and they are free to do so, but not allowing Gay people to have the same rights is wrong. That's taking their freedom of choice.

I have seen this happen a few times with legal spouses of patients.

Regardless of power of attorney (which ONLY allows for the type of care being received, not who can visit, unless specifically mentioned), if the family of the patient doesn't want some one to visit, unless the patient is able to over ride it, or the policy of the hospital states otherwise, the hospital staff goes by family. Right or wrong, doesn't matter, hospital policy always sides with immediate family - though, there are a few exceptions.

What "freedom of choice" are you talking about?

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#28    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 12 April 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

I doubt they'd have sided with the family over the spouse if the spouse was a woman.

You obviously haven't seen many women with their mothers-in-law. Talk about WW3 starting...

You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.

#29    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• 1,023 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostQueen in the North, on 11 April 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Yeah, but:
"He said the nurse refused to confirm that the couple shared power of attorney and made medical decision for each other.
“She didn’t even bother to look it up, to check in to it,” the Lee’s Summit resident recalled."

Family member should have left, imo. Especially if the partner is the one who's able to make medical decisions.

Since she didn't bother to look it up (which, as a nurse, that's not her responsibility), HE should have provided the documentation.

However, if it were general medical POA, that just relates to care, not who can and can not visit (nor does it actually allow the agent to visit the patient). For that, a seperate POA would have to be made, unless you have a living will, which specifies who you want to visit you, as well as who you don't want let in.

#30    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostHilander, on 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

One of the reasons gay people should be allowed to marry or given some sort of legal rights so this doesn't happen.  They had each others power of attorney but a family member didn't like him being there.

According to your link, the hospital´s statement is:

"the patient`s needs are always our first priority. When anyone becomes disruptive to providing the necessary patient care, we involve our security team to help calm the situation and to protect our patients and staff. If the situation continues to escalate, we have no choice but to request police assistance"

That sounds a bit different from your description. If he was disruptive to patient care, he should be removed, period.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users